Proudly South African

Honestly, folks... I have been following the thread- is it really that bad in SA? The crime situation, I mean...:?

Yes it is Viper, its going to get worse before it gets better. Lets not forget that our top cop who was supposed to take over as head of Interpol is in jail for corruption. Its got so bad the Western Cape wants to break away from the rest of South Africa and become independent.

We might have a dreadful crime rate, but we're still WAY prettier than Manchester or Liverpool.... Just saying :p

I agree with you, South Africa has amazing scenery and wild life. However, many travel agencies around the world are advising tourists to stay away. Its a pity we have an inept government and an electorate with the IQ of 5 who keeps voting them in.

A few years ago a tornado hit Manchester.
It did Millions of £s of improvements!

I asked a someone what not to miss when in Liverpool, the reply was;
"The last bus out of there!"

When I was on London Transport out of West Ham bus garage, we had a last bus that left Ilford bus station to West Ham garage about 1am. The last bus coincided with a youth club turning out, with youths causing all manner of problems,, breaking beer bottles, fighting and usually causing mayhem.

The night before I had the last bus duty, the crew were badly assaulted. I told my conductor that we are not stopping and we are not picking anyone up. I told him to turn all the lights inside off and pulled away. As we got to the youth club the yobs standing in the road started throwing beer bottles at the bus, I put my foot down and drove at them, they scattered. About 50 yards past the night club were traffic lights which as Murphy would have it turned red, I slowed the bus down and making sure nothing was coming went over the red light. From then on the last bus from Ilford was cancelled.

Last edited:
Yes it is Viper, its going to get worse before it gets better. Lets not forget that our top cop who was supposed to take over as head of Interpol is in jail for corruption. Its got so bad the Western Cape wants to break away from the rest of South Africa and become independent.

Well, I suppose it takes a thief to catch a thief...:D

Heh.... I hadn't heard about that. WC wanting to break away from the rest of the country. Guess that's not hit the national news yet. LOL

At least here in KZN we've managed to avoid the worst of the fallout from the currently striking truck drivers.

And let's face it, crime is bad everywhere. So you just kinda learn to deal and carry on :)

Heh.... I hadn't heard about that. WC wanting to break away from the rest of the country. Guess that's not hit the national news yet. LOL

At least here in KZN we've managed to avoid the worst of the fallout from the currently striking truck drivers.

And let's face it, crime is bad everywhere. So you just kinda learn to deal and carry on :)

Hmmm, I find that hard to adept.

I guess living in a small country makes rather smug about dealing with crime, beacuse the citizens tend to leave it to the authorities to manage and control it...

But in SA, do they bug the tourists or they just prey on the locals?

Hmmm, I find that hard to adept.

I guess living in a small country makes rather smug about dealing with crime, beacuse the citizens tend to leave it to the authorities to manage and control it...

But in SA, do they bug the tourists or they just prey on the locals?

Both.... nothing is sacred here and criminals don't discriminate. I always tell people who're thinking of coming here for holidays to watch out for certain areas. Not to do certain things, make sure they don't wear any bling, and not to carry excess amounts of cash on them. Just for starters. The list is LONG but if you're a sensible tourist you can have an amazing holiday :)

:smil:
Both.... nothing is sacred here and criminals don't discriminate. I always tell people who're thinking of coming here for holidays to watch out for certain areas. Not to do certain things, make sure they don't wear any bling, and not to carry excess amounts of cash on them. Just for starters. The list is LONG but if you're a sensible tourist you can have an amazing holiday :)

Ok, thats nice to note- I hate being discriminated...though in this case I would not object at all...

Anyways, if I ever had the plan to visit SA, I knew I will have a good guide, two, actually... :smil:

When I was running my gun shop I came across victims of crime everyday, some of the stories I was told were horrific. For example the rape of a 9 month old baby girl, she had to be surgically removed from the man, the baby died. The head nurse who told me the story quit the same day as such acts are not uncommon. I worked with the South African Police Ballistic Unit on a number of occasions and saw first hand the effects of crime, I also have photographs of crime victims, for example a tiny baby burned alive. I could go on and on.

At our old house I was sitting in my study when I heard a hell of a commotion, I ran outside to see two teenagers aged about 18 or 19 climbing over my garden wall. I pulled my cocked and locked Browning Hi Power and ordered them onto the ground. Next over the wall was a cop who then searched the teenagers, they were both armed with knives. They had tried to break into next door who's young mum and teenage daughter could well have become victims of rape and infected with HIV/AIDS.

Yes there is crime everywhere, but nothing compared to the savagery perpetrated here.

The Western Cape break away group have been active for a few years now.

Last edited:
When I was running my gun shop I came across victims of crime everyday, some of the stories I was told were horrific. For example the rape of a 9 month old baby girl, she had to be surgically removed from the man, the baby died. The head nurse who told me the story quit the same day as such acts are not uncommon. I worked with the South African Police Ballistic Unit on a number of occasions and saw first hand the effects of crime, I also have photographs of crime victims, for example a tiny baby burned alive. I could go on and on.

At our old house I was sitting in my study when I heard a hell of a commotion, I ran outside to see two teenagers aged about 18 or 19 climbing over my garden wall. I pulled my cocked and locked Browning Hi Power and ordered them onto the ground. Next over the wall was a cop who then searched the teenagers, they were both armed with knives. They had tried to break into next door who's young mum and teenage daughter could well have become victims of rape and infected with HIV/AIDS.

Yes there is crime everywhere, but nothing compared to the savagery perpetrated here.

The Western Cape break away group have been active for a few years now.

The way you described it makes it sound like something from the old West- not that I am doubting, Opa Brit...

What can I say... shoot first ask questions later- not that an answer would matter much...:9mm:

The way you described it makes it sound like something from the old West- not that I am doubting, Opa Brit...

What can I say... shoot first ask questions later- not that an answer would matter much...:9mm:

I tell you what Viper, even though you are in the medical profession, some of the victims of crime photographs I have will make you throw up, or at least want to throw up. I'm not kidding.

The old west was nothing like this.

Last edited:
Back