Proudly made in France

I am not sure it is an unreasonable comment as the Morane Saulnier-MS.406 was the iconic French fighter at the beginning of the war.

I am not sure it is an unreasonable comment as the Morane Saulnier-MS.406 was the iconic French fighter at the beginning of the war.
May have been THE French fighter @ the beginning of the war, but "One of the most famous fighters of all time", Not! Lots of people who aren't history buffs can name a number of famous WWII fighters, this won't be one of them. The photo of some in Finnish markings was interesting.

May have been THE French fighter @ the beginning of the war, but "One of the most famous fighters of all time", Not! Lots of people who aren't history buffs can name a number of famous WWII fighters, this won't be one of them. The photo of some in Finnish markings was interesting.

I disagree the aircraft was used on many fronts by many countries and had an excellent reputation during the early stages of the battle of France, just because the layman only hear about the Spitfire, Mustang and Bf-109 does not make it less important.

I would also suggest that while few could name the fighter they would recognise it if they saw it, is it one of the "iconic" aircraft of WW2 no it isn't but is it A famous aircraft from the period not necessarily THE most famous aircraft of the period.

Last edited:
The MS406 was an outstanding plane in 1935..
But that plane was totally outdated in 1940
The Morane was way too slow for a fighter and lacking AP rounds for the 20mm gun and ground combat. (the same was true for all the French planes with the 20mm gun)

The best French planes at the begining of the war are the D520 a plane almost as good as the BF-109
The VG-33 was another good fighter a litle like the D-520.
and the last noticable plane is the Potez 630

The outdated MB-152 was better than the MS-406
And i am a huge fan of the crappy cauldron Cr-714 only because this is one of the best looking fighter of the second world war.

Or even better the Cr-460

Caudron_460_Le_Bourget_2009.jpg

Last edited:
True, the Cr 714 or 760, were fighters and the 710 & the 460 were racers.
for the story, the Cr 460 won the Thompson trophy in 1936.
The first and the only one not won by an US pilote.

carte-thompson-trophy-1936.jpg

and btw sorry for destroying the forum frame with the previous picture.

Back