Protest US military base plan in Japan! NO US BASE IN OKINAWA!

longriver

The above cartoon shows the strategic importance of the US military base in Okinawa. However, at present, this island has become the headache of both Obama of the US and Hatoyama of Japan as local Japanese people are asking for their American buddies to leave. NO US BASE IN OKINAWA!
6.gif
6.gif

More than 21,000 Japanese gathered in the southern island of Okinawa on Sunday to demand that a US Marine base be moved out of the region, days ahead a visit by US president Barack Obama. Protesters asked the US troops to realign its military base and said that the military in Okinawa is a burden for the island.

Under a 2006 U.S.-Japan agreement, the Futenma Marine base in the center of the city of Ginowan is set to be closed and replaced with a facility built partly on reclaimed land at Henoko, a remoter part of the island, by 2014.

The deal, which Washington wants to push through after years of what a military official called "painful" negotiations, is part of a wider plan to re-organize U.S. troops and reduce the burden on Okinawa by moving up to 8,000 Marines to Guam.

The row over the re-siting of the Futenma air base threatens to stall a realignment of the 47,000 U.S. military personnel in Japan and sour defense ties between the two countries, seen as key in a region home to a rising China and an unpredictable North Korea.

It could also prove a domestic headache for Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama, whose support ratings have slipped since his landslide election victory in August.

"Okinawa's future is for us, the Okinawan people to decide," Ginowan mayor Yoichi Iha told a supportive crowd which spilled out of an open-air theater by the beach. "We cannot let America decide for us."

Yeah.
Let the Japanese do what they want. With no US presence in Japan, just wait a few decades. Japan will be finished.

Dunno... he's made some interesting posts so far.
Yeah he's posting his forum but we can just ignore that. He's still posting the full contents here as well.

How is he offending you lot? Unlike many on this forum, he doesnt seem to be biased. He posts interesting topics, and takes the liberty to supply pictures.

Keep up the good work, longriver!

Well, if it's not allowed to post links here, I will stop doing so.And I will continue to contribute interesting things here.

BTW, I'm a she, not a he.:smil:

Well, if it's not allowed to post links here, I will stop doing so.And I will continue to contribute interesting things here.

BTW, I'm a she, not a he.:smil:

Oops, my bad. Sorry for that :)

Im pretty sure your allowe to post the links of where you got the information, it would be fairly ridicoulous if you couldnt.

Leaving Oki doesn't really effect the US forces in the region. There are places in that region where they can effectively based and still fullfill the mission. In fact they have plans for this.

Who it's gonna hurt short term is Okinawa itself. AFB Kadena and MCB Butler (which covers all USMC Camps) are probably two of the biggest employers and contractors on that rock. US Forces pull out jobs pull out with them.

Not that I care I hated that freakin Island .

Okinawa? Really I just didn't like it I was bored 95% of the time. The on island training areas outside the Bush Master Course sucked. I lived for off island ops in Korea, PI and Thailand.

There were so many training restrictions in terms of live fire, aircraft flight ops, boat ops, that the training outside of very basic field ops was so watered down you had to get your training off island.

Yeah those rules apply for Japanese Self Defense Force as well, at least some of them.
I am not sure but I believe that the Japanese Air Self Defense Force has to go to American bases overseas to do certain live fire exercises.
Can't seem to find a source.. hmm....

Maybe they shouldn't have

If they dont like the consequences.

Even so, these same people have been doing this for years..its nothing new.

I like the Japanese for the most part, but they have been saying the same stuff for years now.

Last edited:
Back