Proper Etiquette for the POW Flag

AB_Shorts_Momma

Milforum Otaku
What is the proper etiquette for the POW Flag? Is it the right of any American to display the flag, or only family members and former POWs?

What is the proper etiquette for the POW Flag? Is it the right of any American to display the flag, or only family members and former POWs?

Anyone can fly the POW/MIA flag. Most Fire Stations in California fly it. I don't believe it is required to be flown over government buildings all the time. I think it is usually a local decision.

The importance of the League's POW/MIA flag lies in its continued visibility, a constant reminder of the plight of America's POW/MIAs. Other than "Old Glory", the League's POW/MIA flag is the only flag ever to fly over the White House, having been displayed in this place of honor on National POW/MIA Recognition Day since 1982. With passage of Section 1082 of the 1998 Defense Authorization Act during the first term of the 105th Congress, the League's POW/MIA flag will fly each year on Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, National POW/MIA Recognition Day and Veterans Day on the grounds or in the public lobbies of major military installations as designated by the Secretary of the Defense, all Federal national cemeteries, the national Korean War Veterans Memorial, the National Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the White House, the United States Postal Service post offices and at the official offices of the Secretaries of State, Defense and Veteran's Affairs, and Director of the Selective Service System. Source POW/MIA website

While it was first intended to bring the missing and prisoners in Southeast Asia to the public's view, I believe it has been extended to cover all conflicts.
Hope this information helps.

Back