Propaganda as a Military Tool

Knightraptor

Throughout history propaganda has had a role in swaying public opinion for or against something. It can also sway the morale of troops. I would like opinions on the current status and future of propaganda in war. Things to take into consideration are: The internet as a new medium, satellite radio, and just the global community interconnected like never before.

To me most propaganda directed at the troops by the enemy is funny. At least whats directed at US troops. Who can forget.

" American Soliders and Marines. While you are far from home and lonely. Bart Simpson is in America sleeping with your wives and girl friends."

Knightraptor said:
Throughout history propaganda has had a role in swaying public opinion for or against something. It can also sway the morale of troops. I would like opinions on the current status and future of propaganda in war. Things to take into consideration are: The internet as a new medium, satellite radio, and just the global community interconnected like never before.

for people that actively use the internet (and their home country doesn't restrict it :? ) it would be quite easy to see through some forms of propaganda....REMOVED!! chewie, do not start a flame war, you know that this would get an escalated response from your target

But by the same token what you are conditioned to believe as the truth has it's effect. It is harder IMO to avoid and dispell internal propaganda than it is to dispell external propoganda.

03USMC said:
But by the same token what you are conditioned to believe as the truth has it's effect. It is harder IMO to avoid and dispell internal propaganda than it is to dispell external propoganda.

deffinately!

most recently i think emedded journalism was a propaganda issue for me at least. i think it was begun quite innocently (wow we could get some AWESOME pictures if we went with the armoured cav) but in the end it showed that freelancers were able to get better, and more balanced stories...of course with bigger risk associated.

IMO, Embedded Journalists are a double edged sword for all parties. I was continuing your line of thought reference the PRC.

State Sponsored Propoganda. The PRC or North Korea where all or most other sources are blocked or censored are the hardest to overcome.

03USMC said:
IMO, Embedded Journalists are a double edged sword for all parties. I was continuing your line of thought reference the PRC.

State Sponsored Propoganda. The PRC or North Korea where all or most other sources are blocked or censored are the hardest to overcome.

agreed, i know of people who have moved to NZ from PRC and are dumbstruck by how critical of the Govt or STATE RUN media is. lol

I have ever read a joke, says: Goebbels's work was so inefficient, what a dumb person, even his words that had been repeats 1,000 times can become truth. If Nazi employed a rhetoric person as propaganda minister, their each word would become truth that be judged by a subjective evaluation, like value judgment.

It's very funny. My opinion is that what is propaganda? and what is truth?

the palestinians have fooled all of you into believeing they need their own land... and fooled most into believing that they are innocent civilians and israel is the big satan, and that palestinian civilization is 1000's of years old :roll: :roll: :roll:

rocco said:
the palestinians have fooled all of you into believeing they need their own land... and fooled most into believing that they are innocent civilians and israel is the big satan, and that palestinian civilization is 1000's of years old :roll: :roll: :roll:

can't they all just play nice though....both the jew and the arabs lvied there in historic times....and niether is going to get exatly what they want (they other party to leave)

suicide bombing are horrible, but then are helicopter missle attacks and little girls being shot by tanks

as for that wall....that made me MAD!

Truth is although Arabs have lived in Palestine for countless years and generations, the Palestinian nationality is relatively new. It was pretty much born out of competition for the same land against the Israelis.
Before it was Arabs living in Palestine.
Now it's Palestinians.
You'd be surprised what a big difference that makes.

Yes, internal propaganda is much harder to dispell. Also it is true that if you repeat something over and over and over people will believe it because the response will just start to get automatic.

03USMC said:

not anymore...

ppl in china know as much as u do most of time, as internet is everywhere in china now..

not only at home (i went back to china last summer, nearly all my friends have a com at home some with ADSL, some with telephone connection, and i live in Taiyuan, a medium size and prosperity city) , and at internet coffee (chinese internet coffee only counts 1.5 chinese dollar an hour, very cheap, only some 15 U.S cents)

chewie_nz said:
rocco said:

can't they all just play nice though....both the jew and the arabs lvied there in historic times....and niether is going to get exatly what they want (they other party to leave)

suicide bombing are horrible, but then are helicopter missle attacks and little girls being shot by tanks

see how well their propoganda works.

rocco said:
chewie_nz said:
rocco said:

see how well their propoganda works.

no, the wall made me made because IT A DUMB IDEA. refer back the the berlin wall. didn't work either, it's just a huge monument about how scared and closed off the isreali Govt is. if the were trying to stop tanks...sure, why not. but we are talking about people with concealed weapons.

both sides are just as guilty as the other...jeez if they were children you pull them apart and send them to their rooms.

also kinda resent the fact that i am aparently a victim of propaganda

I think we also need to decide what counts as a spin and what counts as propaganda.
Almost all news stories have a spin to it. Usually it's subtle word choice. But what about incidents when only one side of the story was reported? Would that be a key criteria to where spin stops and propaganda begins?

the_13th_redneck said:
I think we also need to decide what counts as a spin and what counts as propaganda.
Almost all news stories have a spin to it. Usually it's subtle word choice. But what about incidents when only one side of the story was reported? Would that be a key criteria to where spin stops and propaganda begins?

such as "terrorist" "freedom fighter" & "insurgence"

Redleg said:
The Protestor/Bulldozer discussion has been moved here:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9991

As I see it this thread is about Propaganda as a Military Tool in general, not one specific incident.

Thanks.

fair eneugh... here is a great example of propoganda, try the "jenin massacre", it was milked to hell, and then only 2 minutes of broadcasting for the truth, which was that there was NO massacre...

much more like it...

Back