Propaganda as a Military Tool

Whoa, how did it survive 3 year stuck out there? Sounds like a interesting story to me! Did he publish it?

Hehe the first 3 years would have been the easiest it sounded like a sight seeing tour of the middle east, he had a rather interesting military career in that he served in North Africa, Italy, Germany and because of his age he went to Japan as part of J Force after the war and ended his service after Korea.

Unfortunately he didnt publish any of it although between him and 6 brothers (one that served in Greece and Crete) that fought in WW2 they took literally thousands of photos that one day I should try and scan to disk. However writing about it probably wasnt necessary as there are plenty of official books and histories for the division he was in.

This thread was about propaganda and has wandered off. It needs to stay on topic or it'll be locked.

MontyB said:
Knightraptor said:
Throughout history propaganda has had a role in swaying public opinion for or against something. It can also sway the morale of troops. I would like opinions on the current status and future of propaganda in war. Things to take into consideration are: The internet as a new medium, satellite radio, and just the global community interconnected like never before.

Well this is pointless, I am going back to the original question, having read a bit of the propaganda prior to the Gulf War 2 I dont think it has really changed over time, new mediums are being used to get it out to the masses but some of the stuff I saw was almost a direct copy of Crimean war propaganda with a new date.

I tend to believe that it very little effect on troops as they are reasonably

well informed anyway and can see the facts for themselves.

IMO Propoganda works against an already demoralized enemy. Proganda that is used against an enemy with high moral is generally seen as comedy.

Thanks,

It is a crude sort of propaganda. It will make you laugh at most.

More dangerous is the one I heard about in Holland recently.
Iraq refugees are notified by mail and email of the danger to family(or themselves) when they do not confirm to the terrorists standard, even when in another country. You can wonder where the borders between propaganda and bodily threats lie. There is maybe no border really, when you think about it. All are means to make you confirm to a desirable way of behavior. or prevent undesirable behavior.
Does anyone have more links or example of Iraqi propaganda and of propaganda used currently by the insurgents?

rocco said:
Redleg said:
The Protestor/Bulldozer discussion has been moved here:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9991

As I see it this thread is about Propaganda as a Military Tool in general, not one specific incident.

Thanks.

fair eneugh... here is a great example of propoganda, try the "jenin massacre", it was milked to h**l, and then only 2 minutes of broadcasting for the truth, which was that there was NO massacre...

much more like it...

Yeah right, just like the millions killed in concentration camps actually died of typhus and Zyklon B was meant to kill lice carrying the disease. :roll:

Back