Proms

Missileer

I can hardly believe this. When I was a Junior in High School, I worked shoveling manure out of chicken farms into a dump truck during a Summer to pay $15 for a used white sport coat for the Jr./Sr. prom. :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9720858/

UNIONDALE, N.Y. - Brother Kenneth M. Hoagland had heard all the stories about prom-night debauchery at his Long Island high school: Students putting down $10,000 to rent a party house in the Hamptons. Pre-prom cocktail parties followed by a trip to the dance in a liquor-loaded limo. Fathers chartering a boat for their children’s late-night “booze cruise.”

46 Kellenberg seniors made a $10,000 down payment on a $20,000 rental in the Hamptons for a post-prom party. When school officials found out, they forced the students to cancel the deal; the kids got their money back and the prom went on as planned.
But some parents went ahead and rented a Hamptons house anyway, Hoagland said.

“A lot of people have lamented the growing consumption that surrounds the prom,” she said, noting it is not uncommon for students to pay $1,000 on the dance and surrounding folderol: expensive dresses, tuxedo rentals, flowers, limousines, pre- and post-prom parties.

the senior class still has a four-day trip to Disney World scheduled for April.

“We go to all the parks with our friends,” he said just before hopping into his jet-black Infiniti and driving off to meet friends for an after-school snack. “We fly down together and stay in the same hotel and so it’s not like we’re totally losing everything.”

I have always thought that prom was just an expensive excuse to party. I hardly saw it as a "right of passage."

I may not agree with the amount of money spent on a prom, but I do not think the school should cancel prom on the grounds that it is too expensive and kids pary after the thing is over. Being a free country means allowing people to be complete idiots and fools :D

God, if my prom would have been cancelled that would have been AWSOME!

I had to throw down like $200 on that :cen: night. And what did I get for it? I got to ride a limo to s***tty rap music dancing. I really didn't even want to go but girlfriend and all that. AMAZING how important prom is to chicks when they don't have to pay.

yikes
little daddies girls,who pay for very little with thier own money will be the ruin of us all. they have no concept of money (or hard work??) and are used to getting what they want.
i can understand a parents desire to give thier child the best of everything, but a sense of values, humbleness and the knowledge of what is and isn't an excessive waste would be far better.

i think my deb ball cost around $300 aussie dollars which included suit hire and the lot. $20 for the limo. $40 for a ring for her which i got engraved. after party was at a friends hose so no cost. easy

I'm schooled at home, so no prom for me. Then, even if I was enrolled I wouldn't go. :x Dancin' not my forte'

Nor dress clothes :evil:

All I can say about my prom is that it's dumb luck alone that I lived to tell about it. Drag racing at triple digit speeds with my classmates on the 10 mile drive to the place we had the prom at was suicidal, I had a big old Plymouth Fury back then and when you stepped on the pedal the whole backend would come up and rocket you almost into orbit. I'm SO lucky I never had a son to put me through all that! Instead I had a daughter who put me through alot of other interesting shenanigans. ;) :lol:

Whispering Death said:
AMAZING how important prom is to chicks when they don't have to pay.

AMEN!

Actually amazing how important EVERYTHING is to chicks when they don't have to pay! :confused:

i do not want to go to prom, all that money wasted on one night...i would rather spend that money on something for my car...like gas :shock:

Whispering Death said:

I had to throw down like $200 on that :cen: night. And what did I get for it? I got to ride a limo to s***tty rap music dancing. I really didn't even want to go but girlfriend and all that. AMAZING how important prom is to chicks when they don't have to pay.
Well duh they don't have to pay nothing for food are anything at a prom
with her b/f.

prom wasnt my favorite event but im happy i went. and if you go w/ a girl your almost guaranteed some after the fact.

My homecoming was almost cancelled cause we were "freak dancing". The pricipal walked up to the DJ and said,"Stop the music. Ladies and gentlemen, if you continue freak dancing, I will have no choice but to cancel Homecoming." And then walked off, we were so pissed off. I mean, we can get a little dirty but its not like we're really doing it...

prom has lost its aura. its horrible. i didnt even bother going to mine. pay that much money to go listen to rap music. rap music has no business at prom. the only difference nowadays with prom and a rave, is the outfits. nothing more...

....regarding girls who dont pay... i found one that refuses to let me pay. she insists on paying her half for everything. :D

Whispering Death said:

My Proms were VERY important to me and well, I only had someone pay for me once. So you should have some chicks.
I enjoyed my junior and senior proms, except for the fact that they were in the same place both times. My school was cheap. Still is.

Back