Problems with wireless

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
I run a wireless system in my appartment which has worked superb until recently when one or more of my installed computers automatically disconnect when I start IE, Opera or Firefox - it takes about five seconds for the authentification process to complete on the second attempt and then it is stable; the first connect is more than often all FUBAR slow and painfull - sometimes it won't connect at all... Feels like the router isn't broadcasting properly?

What's funny is that on the first connect I have 54.0 Mbps connection, on the second it drops to 48.0 Mbps. Makes me laugh, not....

I've been through the router config several times and it is exactly the way I configured it upon installation.

The router is a SNB5600 Phillips (not top notch but that's what my wallet could afford at the time of purchase), the network is WPA2 - AES CCMP, no 802.1x Authentication type nor protocol (No need for it...). A IP phone adapter is connected to the router along with two wireless DECT phones (the phones are 100% operative). All computers are MAC ID'd and there are no changes in the configs around on the computers that connect.

Any ideas for a quick solution?

Last edited:
How many computers do you have connected to it? Does it happen only with a particular computer? Sometimes low-end wireless routers just won't deliver as they advertise when there are many clients in the swarm, most come with only 8 or 16 mb internal memory and can't handle all the auth keys going in and out. :(

Check any firewall software you may have installed; sometime Microsoft or Symantec updates break things. If you're running both the Windows firewall and the SYM firewall, turn one off, obviously. And, actually, as a diagnostic measure, try running with them both off for a couple minutes and see if it works better.

Well I decided to kick the wireless out of the appartment and spent a couple of nights pulling cables through the walls - problem solved the easy way - but thanks for the feedback and suggestions people, I appriciate them all!

If it works, it's a good result.

I've been toying with doing the same thing, although I'll have to go through the roof space, we have 57cm (23") stone walls here.:smile:

Fortunately I have thin wood walls, standard insulation and pre-installed pipes for cabling telephones and TV to the other rooms in the appartment. The only fuzz I had was the wall sockets but the dog hasn't complained yet... :)

Back