Problems in Syria

do you really think that the syrians still want assad in power? after he has killed 14,000 plus and has shown no signs of stopping?

and hezbollah has ruined lebanon

the west wants to help, unlike your regime which is all too happy to support the slaughter in syria, so that they can continue to prop up assad and hezbollah
If the Middle East people didn't want the west help, what should they do? greed is hidden in the Wolf's hello.

Last edited:
Problem is that traditional American's ideas, as well as the average westerner it appears, seem to like tooth paste, pharmacuticals and hair gel made from crude extract,

We like driving sometimes up to a 100 miles a day to commute, we like driving for hours to reach a vacation destination.

Fact of the matter is, average Joe and Jan at home may feel bad for the Syrian populace (which at this junction for now, does not appear anti American, for now..)

But as soon as their local Cheveron throws up a dozen extra cents on the gallon, then suddenly people are along the lines of "Crisis? What Syrian Crisis? Where is Syria?"

The talk of the hour becomes the intteruption of our extremely overindulging lifestyle that a vast majority of my countrymen for better or for worse are dependent upon.

Think about this then think about the fine tightrope any American policy maker who ever hopes to see relection or support from big business to pay for a campgain has to ponder when dealing with the Middle East.

Is it better to prop up a murdering tyrant? And secure oil flow at cheap prices out of the region?

Or risk security and save a oppressed populace that may splinter and interupt the oil flow, causing prices at home to rise, corporate lobby groups to not donate money for campagin funding.

Pissed off mobs dumping litter for a weekend all the National Mall, and the media having your reputation put through a televised shooting gallery.

This is what in the end weighs on the minds of any U.S. policy maker when dealing with situations just like this one.

And a whole bunch of this behavior is attributed to our lifestlyes and us getting what we consider necessities, the same exact lesson was learned with the Diamond trade from conflict zones.

Americans and Westerner's wanted shiney rocks to wow that special lady, disregarding the dirty little seceret that the profits from that same rock paid for forcing drug addicted orphans into brutal civil wars.

It's also a factor of business, you disconnect the connection from dead Middle Eastern Childeren in the streets from the gas pump, and the toleration of tyranny for the sake of security of oil exports will, and has prevailed.

The best part is with the emerging middle classes in India and China, it's only a matter of time before they to must indulge in this behavior to get what is in demand in their countries as well.

It's down right dirty, but it's the way of things.

This relates to every country, it's called self interests.

What is the different between Assad’s regime and Mobarak’s regime?

Mubarak stepped down.

What is the different between Assad’s regime and Malek Abdullah’s regime?

Abdullah made changes to his government

What is the different between Assad’s regime and other Arab’s regime?

Assad is helped by the Iranians and the Russians the others by the West

Just one thing. Because Assad is really against Israel in the region but the other Arab regimes aren’t.

Assad lost ground (Golan) and didn't get it back. Egypt lost ground (Sinai) and got it back through peace.

Last edited:
yawn...hamidreza, you sound like an mouthpiece for the ayatollahs, trying to justify the daily slaughter of 100 plus syrians who are fighting from there freedom from fascism

the west didn't start this, the syrians who took to the street for their freedom did

yawn...hamidreza, you sound like an mouthpiece for the ayatollahs, trying to justify the daily slaughter of 100 plus syrians who are fighting from there freedom from fascism

the west didn't start this, the syrians who took to the street for their freedom did
well, I ask you one question and I want you to bring one logical answer for it.

Why the west has double standard behavior about the recent events in different countries in Middle East which is called Arab spring, Islamic awakening or any other thing.

You have one month time to answer this question. you can use any book, any article, any politician help and any reference that you think can help you in this matter. But be careful, your answer shall be logical. Just logical. If it is a logical answer, I'll stop criticizing or any other things about the west politics in ME.

i can answer that right now. the west and east and every single country is hypocritical and has supported terrible regimes. that's the way geopolitics works

it doesn't mean that what syria is doing isn't wrong

i think i beat the one month deadline

Assad is helped by the Iranians and the Russians the others by the West

So the democracy and freedom is important in Syria or Libya because they are supported by Russia or Iran and is not important in other places because they are supported by west.

benaakatz:
i can answer that right now. the west and east and every single country is hypocritical and has supported terrible regimes. that's the way geopolitics works

it doesn't mean that what syria is doing isn't wrong

i think i beat the one month deadline
well, a suicide answer. If your answer is true then the winners of this unequal battle will be the countries who have the media power, stronger armies and more money, then they can be more hypocritical.

Last edited:
So the democracy and freedom is important in Syria or Libya because they are supported by Russia or Iran and is not important in other places because they are supported by west.

Politics, it's all politics and self interest but the west doesn't go as far as Russia, China and Iran (and some others).

The west was reluctant to drop the support for Mubarak, but they did. When are Russia, China and Iran going to drop the support of Assad? How many more people must die before they support the Syrian people.

Politics, it's all politics and self interest but the west doesn't go as far as Russia, China and Iran (and some others).

The west was reluctant to drop the support for Mubarak, but they did. When are Russia, China and Iran going to drop the support of Assad? How many more people must die before they support the Syrian people.
A lot of Syrians were killed by rebels who are supported by west although the Syria's army killed many people too. But the main point is that the rebels and west derive a benefit from crisis not Assad. So I am suspect that the bombing and especially the new criminal in Syria were designed by west. They just get benefits of it not Assad.

A lot of Syrians were killed by rebels who are supported by west although the Syria's army killed many people too. But the main point is that the rebels and west derive a benefit from crisis not Assad. So I am suspect that the bombing and especially the new criminal in Syria were designed by west. They just get benefits of it not Assad.

Believe me, this did not come from the West. This also did not came from the FSA supported by the West. Most likely it was done by government supported thugs. I do not totally exclude fanatical terrorist groups because they can benefit from a civil war in Syria like they did, or tried, in other Arab Spring countries.

After two years crisis in Syria, it is completely clear that this crisis has external origin not internal.
If the opponents of west countries were supported by foreign countries in this scale, as they are doing in Syria, there would be the same crisis in west .
Assad regime is different with previous Egypt, Tunis or Yemen regimes. majority of Syrian people want him as leader. If they hadn't accepted him as a leader, his regime would have failed after two months of crisis begining.
The Syria problems are some Arab countries billions dollars, west propaganda and political pressures and extremist Al- Qaeda soldiers from Libya, Yemen, Somalia, Chechnya and other Muslims countries.
This crisis has just one winner and it is Israel. I don't know what time do Arabs want to use their brain before doing anythings. I wonder why Israelis didn't occupy more land when Arabs couldn't recognize the different between friend and enemy.

Last edited:
Fine then Assad can defuse the entire process by putting it to the vote if his people genuinely want him then he will get to stay and if they don't then being a "man of the people" he can bugger off and live a long and happy life off the millions he has undoubtedly acquired since coming to power.

Here is the problem with the "its all externally fueled" argument, his tanks, artillery and aircraft are being used indiscriminately and not just against his opposition.

I am not sure what it is with dictators but they seem determined to hang on to power even when it is abundantly clear that they have to go hell Gaddafi, Hussein and co. could all be sunning themselves on a beach anywhere in the world today living off their stolen billions but they all chose to throw themselves on a pyre just so they could wear spiffy uniforms and strut around being important in countries no one cares about.

Last edited:
Fine then Assad can defuse the entire process by putting it to the vote if his people genuinely want him then he will get to stay and if they don't then being a "man of the people" he can bugger off and live a long and happy life off the millions he has undoubtedly acquired since coming to power.

Here is the problem with the "its all externally fueled" argument, his tanks, artillery and aircraft are being used indiscriminately and not just against his opposition.

I am not sure what it is with dictators but they seem determined to hang on to power even when it is abundantly clear that they have to go hell Gaddafi, Hussein and co. could all be sunning themselves on a beach anywhere in the world today living off their stolen billions but they all chose to throw themselves on a pyre just so they could wear spiffy uniforms and strut around being important in countries no one cares about.
Yes a free elections is a good solution but why west countries want this elections without Assad? who knows what percent of Syrians would vote to Assad? why Assad's resignation is west precondition? well just imagine what will the world public opinion think if Assad be the winner of that election.

Yes a free elections is a good solution but why west countries want this elections without Assad? who knows what percent of Syrians would vote to Assad? why Assad's resignation is west precondition? well just imagine what will the world public opinion think if Assad be the winner of that election.
West countries want the elections held without Assad because if he was in the elections who is to say he's not pressuring (i.e. Killing, Maiming, Threatening) people into voting for him.

I personally think Assad is a power hungry (wow, what a big surprise for a leader of a country), and he has some major problems with understanding and respecting human life and human rights.

Yes, he is killing the innocent masses.

On that note, I don't it is not our fight. The people of Syria need to decide what is best for them, we do not understand or support some government ideas in the middle-east and it is not our place to say what they "need." The people of Syria are strong and my only hope is that the killing can stop and somehow they will find an acceptable governmental leader(s).

Again, my heart just goes out to the people that have lost loved ones and the innocent. (And really, there is no "good guys" and "bad guys" when you've lost loved ones. We are all human and our hearts hurt the same.

Last edited:
West countries want the elections held without Assad because if he was in the elections who is to say he's not pressuring (i.e. Killing, Maiming, Threatening) people into voting for him.

I personally think Assad is a power hungry (wow, what a big surprise for a leader of a country), and he has some major problems with understanding and respecting human life and human rights.

On that note, I don't it is not our fight. The people of Syria need to decide what is best for them, we do not understand or support some government ideas in the middle-east and it is not our place to say what they "need." The people of Syria are strong and my only hope is that the killing can stop and somehow they will find an acceptable governmental leader(s).

Again, my heart just goes out to the people that have lost loved ones and the innocent. (And really, there is no "good guys" and "bad guys" when you've lost loved ones. We are all human and our hearts hurt the same.

I agree on the notion of the Syrian people choosing what is best for them. The U.S. in decades past have routinely supported dictators and tyrants to accomplish regional goals against Soviet Influence.

Evidence of this practice against our ideals was displayed by Washington's reaction toward the Egyptian people during the Arab Spring. They showed little confidence in them being able to oust Egypt's president mainly due to their support for him at the time.

Fast forward to Mubarak's ousting and Washington does an about face and now supports the protester's.

I see a bit of trepidation in President Obama's remarks over the situation, almost as not to make such a mistake of putting the U.S. on the spot for propping up dictators and supporting many regimes in the region for the past few decades.

Oh, and those who want to blow the whistle and say it's all soley Obama's fault. This brokering for U.S. interests started as far back as the Eisenhower administration, not over night. So put down your picthforks and douse those torches.

Last edited:

West want to ignore a person, who a major part of Syrians support him, because they suspect to his honesty in the elections? Well, an elections which is supervised by international community couldn't solve this problem?
You claim Assad kills innocents masses. Well, could you please tell me the benefits of these crimes for Assad? These crimes just bring legitimation for rebels not Assad so why should he do that?

Well, this is Martin S.Indyk report for U.S. Senate Committee about Syria a few weeks ago. I highlight the U.S. interests in Syria:
http://www.brookings.edu/research/testimony/2012/08/01-syria-indyk

It is worthwhile in these circumstances to begin with a definition of U.S. core interests in Syria, which is geo-strategically located in the center of the Arab-Israeli heartland – bordering Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, Jordan and Israel – and which has served as the conduit for Iran’s efforts to advance it’s bid for dominance in this sensitive region. Henry Kissinger famously remarked that there could be no Arab-Israeli war without Egypt and no Arab-Israeli peace without Syria. For that reason, successive U.S. administrations have sought to bring Syria into the peace camp with Israel in order to shore up two core, strategic interests: stability in a volatile but vital region; and security for Israel. In that context, cutting the Syrian conduit that Iran uses to promote instability on Israel’s borders through its Hezbollah and Hamas proxies is also a strategic imperative. Similarly, preventing Syria from proliferating or using weapons of mass destruction serves our strategic interests. The promotion of Lebanese independence from Syria and the deterrence of Syrian destabilization of Jordan are also important American interests though of less strategic weight. Finally, the United States has an interest in advancing the human rights of the Syrian people, consistent with its pursuit of freedom and dignity for the people of the Arab world.

Again Israel is the origin of crisis.
Also I am impressed about it's final part but I wonder why there is no any interest about advancing the human rights of the Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Yemen, Jordan or other dictatorship regimes which are supported by U.S. .

Last edited:
West want to ignore a person, who a major part of Syrians support him, because they suspect to his honesty in the elections? Well, an elections which is supervised by international community couldn't solve this problem?
You claim Assad kills innocents masses. Well, could you please tell me the benefits of these crimes for Assad? These crimes just bring legitimation for rebels not Assad so why should he do that?
I'm not 'claiming' anything. Do you read or do you just assume because Assad is a 'strong' (aka weak) dick-tator he's in the right?
Assad Killing Women & Children

Also, I personally keep little tabs on the actual reasons for everything going on in Syria. I know some general things on the news and what my husband reads (he is Turkish and reads both English and Turkish news on Syria). What I care know is, a.)Assad is power hungry and killing children. b.)Obviously something major is wrong with his rule OR THERE WOULDN'T BE "REBELS." (btw, the USA was a country founded by 'rebels' and I have this feeling in the back of my mind you think think uniform, always following the rules is the only way to go). Sorry, if people feel as if they are being oppressed they can fight. It doesn't always mean they are bad people, it means the leader of whichever country isn't leading his people the way in which they wish to be led. You lead a country for the masses, not for ones-self. And you certainly don't kill your people.

Human Rights groups, such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, have detailed how Bashar's regime and secret police routinely tortured, imprisoned, and killed political opponents, and those who speak out against the regime.[
When you get to the point you feel you need to start torturing and killing your political opponents it might be a sign you are getting a tiny bit power hungry and should take a step back and re-think how you'd like to close your eyes on your death bed.

Sadly I think Assad will close his eyes and he will be greated by the spirits he sent from Earth and only then will he realize how little power meant in the flesh.

Again Israel is the origin of crisis.
Also I am impressed about it's final part but I wonder why there is no any interest about advancing the human rights of the Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Yemen, Jordan or other dictatorship regimes which are supported by U.S.

Now this I have to agree with.

We should have an equal care of human rights no matter the impact it has on countries we support, etc.

Again though, if people want to be hateful, judgmental, and religious-crazed we (Americans) cannot step in all of the time. It makes me sick that people do not have more care for life, but we are not Earth's saviors. We have some pretty decent issues ourselves within our goverment, our homeless, that need to be dealt with before we jump into every other country and tell them they are doing things wrong.

All these places you mentioned by the way have very strong relgious views. I find it ironic that a person can read the Qur'an or Bible (insert other religious book) and skip over every loving verse and go straight to KILL, BEHEAD, STONE.

Where is love, mercy, understanding?

Back