Problems with Meps

Benja

Hi my name is Benjamin. I have some question about the army, at this time I am waiting on a weaver to be filled out, I’m not sure if it will though. i have been trying to get in for more then 1.6years.

to start off I don’t know what the "disorder" is called but my recruiter is saying it’s for "not understanding information" or something like that, I’m not sure how they came up with that and my recruiter says the same thing. So here is my story on what’s going on from day one to now, please forgive me for my grammar.

March 2011 6th day, I enlisted to join the army in a trade school "job corps" I was told I can enter the army with a GED if I did job corps and passed, so I did that for about 1 year and 1months and completed my trade. I in that time I passed the ASQT with 35 as my score, and above 100 on every other score like GT and so on, 6 months after I enlisted to join I completed the job corps trade school and was told I will be entering in as a E2, I went back home to "Washington" from Texas and the recruiters gave up on me so I switched to my local towns recruiters station, that its self-took 3months to do as the recruiter would not transfer anything over, (let me add in I have had a 81 paper medical history from 1 car wreck I had to get again..) so after the 3months it took to get the files my local recruiter said he was trying his best to get me in to do my psychological test, so I waited 3 more months for him to get me in, it never happed and he left for active duty, destroying my files before he left, so I got transferred to 2 hour away recruiters office, they worked to get my files all done and we found out my first recruiter did not transfer me from the old MEPS to the new Meps in my state. That took 1-2months to do. So about 1 month after that I had to get tested for ADHD and passed as not having it, I then went to get my psychological test done, we didn’t have enough time to do the questions so I only did 400 out of the 570 that were there for me, the psychologicalist said she only "Cared" about the first 400 questions, next I had to do a reading test and said I had a problem with reading,

"All the words they gave me I never seen before in my life and were hard for me to read, there was 40 words the first 10 I did perfect then next 10 I could not read 2 of them, I was then told to stop and that’s all that was needed"
I went back to MEPS after that and got sent home tell they get the physcalogcal test back in, after it came back in they said I had a "slight reading disorder" and a disorder of not understanding things to well, my recruiter told me I won’t get in cuss they turn them down all the time he said, I feel as if he don’t care about me, he never calls me to update me when there is information I half to do it myself every time. I call him once a week; he said they could do a wavier on it and its pending at this time.

The reading disorder I know I have and they know I have from my AFQT test. but the other disorder we are confused about, Now they never said I had the "not understanding things" disorder to say, they just said I "might" have it,
So my question is if they do by chance say no to my wavier what is the next step to do for joining the army? who do I call next or what should I do next, my family says I should do collage and get some degrees in something they want then reenlist, other people tell me I should call my congress and governor for help. But I’m not 100% sure so I though I would see what everyone here think.

If you don’t understand what I have said in the above wall of text please shoot me a Msg and we can talk on "Skype" or phone for a better understanding on what’s going on.

Can you get an independent diagnosis from a civilian source? MEPS might not accept it and would run their own test after that, but it could expedite the process. Waiting for anything from them is drawn-out and impersonal, but if they had to confirm a condition rather than give you the initial diagnosis it should be quicker. Wish you luck. :)

Have you been tested for Asperger Syndrome?
It sounds a bit like it.
i have tested for that and i dont have it, i dont know how to spell it or really say it but it Starts with a "D" what word comes to mind is dilect or something like thati know waviers can take some time, but my recruiter is given up on me, i have not given up on him and will pester him tell they give me the no go, atm its still pending, they never said i had the disorder but said i "might" have it.

Can you get an independent diagnosis from a civilian source? MEPS might not accept it and would run their own test after that, but it could expedite the process. Waiting for anything from them is drawn-out and impersonal, but if they had to confirm a condition rather than give you the initial diagnosis it should be quicker. Wish you luck. :)

this meps im at will not take a outside diagnosis i have got one befor and i talked to the Meps on the phone and they told me they only trust there docters no outsiders, im not sure why.

Dyslexic. Sorry buddy shes gonna be a hard slog
might me that and might not, ill call my rc tomarrow and ask him to spell it for me so you guys can better help me. Again thank you guys for takeing the time to read this. so intell then see you tomarrow

... i dont know how to spell it or really say it but it Starts with a "D" what word comes to mind is dilect or something like that ... they never said i had the disorder but said i "might" have it.

Dyslexia? Sounds familiar?

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://es.forvo.com/_ext/ext-prons.js?id=129959"></script>

Dyslexia is a very broad term defining a learning disability that impairs a person's fluency or comprehension accuracy in being able to read, and which can manifest itself as a difficulty with phonological awareness, phonological decoding, orthographic coding, auditory short-term memory, or rapid naming.

Dyslexia is distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction.

-snip-

Adult dyslexics can read with good comprehension, but they tend to read more slowly than non-dyslexics and perform more poorly at spelling and nonsense word reading, a measure of phonological awareness.

Dyslexia and IQ are not interrelated as a result of cognition developing independently.
More details at wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia )

FWIW,

Rattler

Last edited:
... i dont know how to spell it or really say it but it Starts with a "D" what word comes to mind is dilect or something like that ... they never said i had the disorder but said i "might" have it.

Dyslexia? Sounds familiar? Check wheter the word as spoken rings a bell here, by clicking on the arrows above the map:

http://es.forvo.com/word/dyslexia/

Dyslexia is a very broad term defining a learning disability that impairs a person's fluency or comprehension accuracy in being able to read, and which can manifest itself as a difficulty with phonological awareness, phonological decoding, orthographic coding, auditory short-term memory, or rapid naming.

Dyslexia is distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction.

-snip-

Adult dyslexics can read with good comprehension, but they tend to read more slowly than non-dyslexics and perform more poorly at spelling and nonsense word reading, a measure of phonological awareness.

Dyslexia and IQ are not interrelated as a result of cognition developing independently.
More details at wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia )

FWIW,

Rattler

To begin with I not sure how serious I should take your post. Just in case you are not a “troll”:

I am an ex Army Recruiter and I have had recent contact with recruiters while helping a nephew enlist.

The Recruiters mission is to get qualified people into the Service, he/she gets no benefit from not getting you into uniform. The recruiter doesn’t even have individual number objectives anymore.

The key word above is “qualified” and from your first statement it is obvious you have problems there. The “not understanding things” may be that you are not qualified and will not be enlisted.

I don’t know anything about “enlisting in an Army trade school “Job Corps””, I think this may be another example of you “not understanding things”. You say your ASQT is 35, as recently as last month a non HS graduate with a GED had to score 50 or above to qualify for enlistment, again, maybe you "not understanding things".

With the projected military cutbacks and the economy being what it is (and I don’t see any improvement there for a while, no matter who gets elected) qualifications are probably going to get tougher. If you have not been able to enlist in “1.6 years” then I don’t think you are going to get in.

I suggest you look into options other than the military.

Agreed with muskogee mike, you need to take a good look in the mirror. If you're not qualified, then you're not qualified. I'm curious as to how you're GT score is over 100 when your AFST is 35..? With a 35 being the absolute lowest you can score and still even get into the military, a GT over 100 is REALLY unlikely.

I think you are confused on a lot of things as to what is required by the military. The recruiters may not be giving up on you, they be may be realizing that you're simply not qualified to join. Why continue to help a losing prospect when they can work on much more qualified individuals that aren't going to waste their time?

Some people simply aren't cut out for military service no matter how much they think they are...

Back