Problematical Cadets

USAFAUX2004

Some of us on the Forums are in Cadet Leadership positions. I personally have taught cadets with Hand/Eye coordination problems and ADD. Now the point of me posting this is asking how you helped those cadets succeed. The cadet with ADD I was teaching Rifle Drill at a Basic Cadet School and I used a simple technique taught to me by a 2d Lt with 4+ years experience and a 3rd place national drill team member. He told the staff to always keep the cadet looking in your eyes and then looking at what you do. “Remind him by telling him ‘are you with me?’, ‘look what at what I am doing, ok?’” and plenty of other phrases like that. The cadet with the Hand/Eye issue was challenged by Basic Drill. I could not figure out why he could not perform an About Face so I got down on my knees and actually moved his feet in the correct pattern for him to get what he has to do (”Left heel, Right toe”, he could not grasp the concept of left versus right). I have had my share of younger cadets who would not be mature enough to listen (a form of ADD in itself that we all go through at a younger age). Them, you just had to get exited about drill. Tell them how you learned, how you did not like it at first, but like it now. So what are some of the ways that you have helped cadets with problems succeed?

The main thing for me is to work with them one on one. Pull them out in an inconspicuous way and help them get it down. If you have to arrange a meeting after or before school..then dont be afraid to do so. Some times with my cadets, they just have no motivation to do drill...If you put them on a Team or reward them when they get movements right, then they have a reason to work harder to get the drill down...My cadets are performing much better now that i put them on Drill Team and they have some reason to strive for(ribbons to go on their empty chests). But like i said the main thing is working one on one and helping them personally.

That's very good advice.
I have a cadet that is ADD. He picks up on learning things fine, but has a annoying disrespect. I have stressed my mind to the ending point on whether he will ever know better. He was late for opening formation and ran over, threw his books on the ground in front of a lt. Col. who was doing Moral Leadership, :oops: and then nearly knocked me over with his Nazi salute I'd been working on for weeks. :evil: once i thought i had him going smoothy, with a lot of firm sincerity, and he burst out on meeting trying to act like a gangster, rapping and crud, and would stop for anything!
My CC just wants him gone, but i'm willing to try the world, that's just me.
What would you do? :?:

USAFAUX2004 said:
he could not grasp the concept of left versus right
yikes :shock:
how old are these kids? thats insane, they dont know thier left from right? how the hell are they going to be able to function effectively in combat if they are not mentally developed enough to get down that basic concept?

Locke said:
USAFAUX2004 said:
he could not grasp the concept of left versus right
yikes :shock:
how old are these kids? thats insane, they dont know thier left from right? how the hell are they going to be able to function effectively in combat if they are not mentally developed enough to get down that basic concept?

Maybe im mistaken and things are different in the States but military youth programs are not designed to train kids to go into combat. Sometimes you have to learn to adapt to the kds that come through the program because quite frankly, theres nothing you can do about getting them to leave.

And to comment on the topic, I find that it is easier to work with special needs youth in cadets if you talk to them on a more personal level. Get to know exactly what their dificulties are so you know how to best deal with them. But remember, it is not the job of an NCO to "babysit" cadets. If you find that the cadet is just having to much trouble coing with the criteria of the program, talk to your CO.

last year I had a cadet who had absolutely NO hand eye coordination and couldnt march if her life depended on it. It took me days to figure out what she was doing wrong with her about faces. She was pivoting on her left toe right toe, so it came out all messed up every time. then we tried to fix it and she did heel-heel. after about 2 months she finally started to get it, but she was still completely lost.

Marching was horendous. She didnt understand the "pivot points" in columns. I stayed after school with her everyday with sidewalk chalk and traced her steps untill she understood that the 3 people infront of her had to pivot before she did. It took forever, but the sidewalk chalk actually helped.

With kids who cant understand it is easiest to break it down step by step.

As for the ADD problem, give them something else to concentrate on. If the get all jumpy in inspection have them sing songs to themselves in their heads, or even make a game out of inpsection. have him listen for howmany times the inpector asks a certain question, this will keep him from makeing noise dirung inspection and he wont get bored.

My cadets learned fast about disrespecting me.
:drill:
I Stayed after school for a whole week to teach a guy that wanted to learn to do basic rifle movements because he was going to go out for rifle team.As Flt Sgt Im usually the hard one, because our Flt Com. doesnt do much. I have a very rude Flt so by the end of the year they will all be thin as hell! (PT)

Last edited:
Back