Problem fixed. Very Good Post - Page 3

--

August 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmilman
Yeah, hey, let's not start a debate about whether or not Uncle SAm is gonna get bashed and who's gonna sit in his old rocking chair. I don't wanna see a decline in America, i just wanna see a decline in Americanisation/gangs/doing everything the easy way/fast food etc etc. America is the big kid that everyone wants to be friends with but nobody really likes, but everyone knows that they need. There's no need for a big argument to happend here, because the thread is just gonna get knocked down and it's a good thread, i don't wanna see that happen

Someone mentioned something about a dark age though, so i thought of something interesting. What if this guy nukes that guy, these guys nuke those guys, and all of a sudden global communications are down, society breaks down and all of a sudden we are on our own. No internet, no television, no satellites - nothing. Suddenly we have to learn about self-sufficiency and self-preservation. Cities would become murder holes, private militia would be formed and king-pins would emerge - the basest, cruelest thugs that had enough guns to run the show.

Those in close knit farming communities band together and do the best - they've got food, animals for transport and eating, they've most probably got weapons for defense and are remote enough for safety. But they will eventually have to defend themselves. Roaming military units, a government attempting to re-unite the country. Gasoline is only provided to those who control its creation. Economies fail, paper money is only good for burning and the real comodity becomes food, weapons, animals. We go into a semi-civilised dark age where small communities survive like they used to, and the tradesman is valued above anything else.

Are any of you prepared for that? Do u have plans? Supplies? Does anyone? I know me and mine would be able to survive, but what about u and yours? Any ideas?

Rich.
Well thats the thing. The U.S. has so many ways of communications CB, HAM, Amatuer Radio, Military, Police, Fireman, Marine, ect....

You should rent the movie "Day After Tommrow", its an old movie, it's set during the cold war and the USSR trys to invade to the Fulda Gap and then we launch short range nukes the they nuke us, ect......

I know I and my family could survive. We have supplies, weapons, ect....
August 26th, 2005  
ozmilman

Okay, i'll see if i can find that movie.

We gotta remember though, that power is gonna be cut, we're gonna be cooking over a fire, our light will come from fire, our life will be about fire. Ammunition eventually runs out so we're gonna go back even further into the time warp. What scares me most is the idea of warlords rising up and chaos reigning. Our community would pull together in a semi-democratic order and we would be okay unless we have hundreds of starving people willing to kill us just for a mouthful of food coming straight at us.

At least there would be order again. Government on a scale comprehendable to the people under its rule, old fashioned ideals of work. A time of books, a time of learning, of defending what is yours. A time where a law protects the innocent, and a murderer cannot walk free on a technicality. A time where people care about other people and friendship is valued above everything else. And maybe when the lights come back on and the world is talking again, we could have become a better planet for the experience.

Rich.
August 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Okay, i'll see if i can find that movie.

We gotta remember though, that power is gonna be cut, we're gonna be cooking over a fire, our light will come from fire, our life will be about fire. Ammunition eventually runs out so we're gonna go back even further into the time warp. What scares me most is the idea of warlords rising up and chaos reigning. Our community would pull together in a semi-democratic order and we would be okay unless we have hundreds of starving people willing to kill us just for a mouthful of food coming straight at us.

At least there would be order again. Government on a scale comprehendable to the people under its rule, old fashioned ideals of work. A time of books, a time of learning, of defending what is yours. A time where a law protects the innocent, and a murderer cannot walk free on a technicality. A time where people care about other people and friendship is valued above everything else. And maybe when the lights come back on and the world is talking again, we could have become a better planet for the experience.

Rich.
That would be over a period of almost 200 years. Batteries, windup lights, shake lights, solar lights, and the such will be around. Alot of radios can be powered by solar power.
--
August 26th, 2005  
Locke

thought: considering our reliance (in many cases) obesession with the media and staying up to date with "news" i think if someone did manage to take out the communications to a large part of any country, there owuld be near total anarchy as people descended into mass panic
August 26th, 2005  
ozmilman

Yup, there would be anarchy - but most people would have the sense to listen to a battery powered radio or sit in their car and listen to the radio and there would be emergency broadcasts as the government attempts to keep people under control.

Rich.
August 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Yup, there would be anarchy - but most people would have the sense to listen to a battery powered radio or sit in their car and listen to the radio and there would be emergency broadcasts as the government attempts to keep people under control.

Rich.
Quite true. Not only that I'm sure the NG units nearby would update the public or atleast tell them whats going on.
August 26th, 2005  
ozmilman

Absolutely. However, it's when people start to figure out that stuff is not going to be like it used to that the chaos will start. Crime bosses are going to arm their men and they will fight with local authorities to gain control of certain areas. Everyone in those areas will be united by fear and they would have to do as ordered or suffer the consequences. It will suck for sure if anything like that happens, cause i like the Simpsons too much, and i'm sure i'll lose a lot of mates.

Rich.
August 26th, 2005  
5.56X45mm

I never thought of this post going this way. I actually meant to talk about a tactical situtation. But this works too.
August 27th, 2005  
ozmilman

Sorry for twisting things around like that dude I think the other discussion is pretty close to over now, so we can get back to the original discussion.

What would u do should ur country be invaded, would u try and form a militia with whoever you can and defend a certain part of your area, or would u try and join with the regular army at the battle lines?

Rich.
August 27th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Sorry for twisting things around like that dude I think the other discussion is pretty close to over now, so we can get back to the original discussion.

What would u do should ur country be invaded, would u try and form a militia with whoever you can and defend a certain part of your area, or would u try and join with the regular army at the battle lines?

Rich.
Well I'd go with a militia, and join the regular army, like in the Revolutionary War.

I'm only good with the guns, M14 or M60E3. Its either percision shots or Hell on earth for me. Give me an M1A1HC and I'll kick some .