probable cause

SHERMAN

I just saw this TV show,"World's Most Amazing Police Videos". They said somthing about probable cause for a search...Was trying to figure out what dose that mean and igf we have an equivilant in Israel.What dose probable cause mean?

It means that to get a search warrant or to enter a private residence, the police have to be able to point to something they saw/heard/learned that would reasonably lead someone to believe that criminal activity was occurring in that residence/vehicle/building/what have you.

Hope that helps a bit.

hmm

I dont think we have that...I mean, if someone looks suspicius, a police officer can search him and his property.

...I mean, if someone looks suspicius, a police officer can search him and his property.

That's probable cause. His looking suspicious gave the police officer a reason to search him. Police officers can do the same in the US on a person. But you're required to get a little piece of paper called a warrant before you can search property. Vehicles are exempt.

Re: hmm

sherman105 said:
I dont think we have that...I mean, if someone looks suspicius, a police officer can search him and his property.
Ya if he does look like he would have a gun then you can search them....but then the cop could get introuble for profiling...
also about having probable cause like if the cop thinks the guy driving the car is a criminal or somethen then he will look if they have their light out...driving over a line or somethen then they can pull them over and see if they are...

Ok

Yes, ive thought about this and it goes like this:
We do need a warent for houses. Not for searching cars and the person himself.
Profiling is not an issue, the Israeli police profiles all the time, it's highly effective. We usually only search cars for people who shouldent be hanging around in our town so late at night and stuff..

It means that the average person would believe what they saw or heard was criminal activity. There are several ways that a warrant is not required.
Searching the passenger compartment of a car incidental to an arrest.
Hot persuit, bank robber runs in a house as you are chasing him.
Person consents, you would be amazed at how many will let you search.
Government Offices have no expectation to privacy.
Airport access.
Plain view. If you see illegal items say in a car you don't need a warrant.

Back