Privacy Going too far :x

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Dead Marine's kin plead for e-mail

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 Posted: 11:01 AM EST (1601 GMT)

WIXOM, Michigan (AP) -- The family of a Marine killed in Iraq is pleading with Internet giant Yahoo! for access to his e-mail account, which the company says is off-limits under its privacy policy.

Lance Cpl. Justin M. Ellsworth, 20, was killed by a roadside bomb on November 13 during a foot patrol in Al Anbar province. The family wants the complete e-mail file that Justin maintained, including notes to and from others.

"I want to be able to remember him in his words. I know he thought he was doing what he needed to do. I want to have that for the future," said John Ellsworth, Justin's father. "It's the last thing I have of my son."

But without the account's password, the request has been repeatedly denied. In addition, Yahoo! policy calls for erasing all accounts that are inactive for 90 days. Yahoo! also maintains that all users agree at sign-up that rights to a member's ID or contents within an account terminate upon death.

"While we sympathize with any grieving family, Yahoo! accounts and any contents therein are nontransferable" even after death, said Karen Mahon, a Yahoo! spokeswoman.

Source

Is the privacy Going too far here ?

Comments ...............Should his Kins allowed Access ?

Peace
-=SF_13=-

No i don't think so... I understand that the reasons are for good only but those may have been some of his most intimate thoughts... i would not want my family to have access to my email accounts.. I guess this just depends on the person but my email is the one thing that ppl i know can't read and see whenever they want to. if i wanted for someone to have something i would have given it to them.

beardo said:
I dont think they should see them....it might have his prn subcriptions

well not that necessarily but it may have aruments that he had with ex gf or something he discussed with a friend or relative about someone close to him that was a doubt or negative comment or something of that nature. I just think that more bad than good would come from it.

Back