Prisoner Photos by Navy SEALs

--

December 4th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Topic: Prisoner Photos by Navy SEALs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
When those kind of photo's spread on net, there would only be more Arabs hating USA. When you lose support of People, you can hardly say you have "won" the war, be it War on This or War on Terror.

New Iraq prisoner photos unveiled

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_2294311.htm
Yes, thanks to a huge violation of OPSEC/PERSEC as well as media irresponsibility - US forces, especially SOF, will take another unnecessary punch to the gut.

Sorry FlyingFrog, I left your original post on this when I split the topic.
December 4th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Hmm abuse? What abuse? I only see prisoners.
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Yes, thanks to a huge violation of OPSEC/PERSEC as well as media irresponsibility - US forces, especially SOF, will take another unnecessary punch to the gut.
definetly agree with you. lets be realistic though, it's not like this hasn't happened before. the difference is that this time someone got caught.
--
December 5th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
definetly agree with you. lets be realistic though, it's not like this hasn't happened before. the difference is that this time someone got caught.
Got caught doing what? Posting pictures that endanger OPSEC/PERSEC? What or who exactly, has gotten caught and what were they doing?
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Got caught doing what? Posting pictures that endanger OPSEC/PERSEC? What or who exactly, has gotten caught and what were they doing?
i meant they got caught degrading POWs. now it's being investigated because there is photographic evidence of what they were doing.
December 5th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
i meant they got caught degrading POWs. now it's being investigated because there is photographic evidence of what they were doing.
Then you don't agree with me at all, or the premise behind my statement. Before you start to make judgements concerning who has been "caught," perhaps you should have the entire facts behind the photos. Just because the media told you that's what you see, you automatically believe it. Funny how that works.
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

I see where your coming from. If the soldiers are SF and photos were published of them then it can be a violation of OPSEC. It puts their life and their buddies lives at risk. If the media took the pictures and published them without the consent of the soliders, then sure, it's a violation of security. But, for a second, lets assume the soldiers did take the pictures. If they knew it could be such a violation of security why would they go around taking pictures and letting them get loose? Then again, assuming the article is correct, why would they publish it on the internet? It doesn't make sense to me if you're trying not to get caught. From that point of view it seems as if the soldiers themselves didn't care about OPSEC.

Assuming the media took the pictures, like an embedded photographer, then why didn't the soldiers think about their actions? If they knew that it could get out into the open, since it is for some type of media figure, then why would they let the pictures be taken in the first place? At least know something about the person that is taking the pictures, or confiscate the film. I can't see them letting someone take pictures and not asking questions like who do you report for, or where are these going to end up, or what kind of clearance do you have to be here and/or witness this? They must have known it was a violation of some sort. It doesn't matter who gave the order. If you are going to do something so obviously against regulations then don't flaunt it around unless you want to get caught.

I'm not putting all the blame on the soldiers, but you can't go around and say they couldn't have done anything about it since they obviously posed for some of them. If the photographer was hiding in the bushes and took pictures of them beating up a guy that was tied up, then that's a different story. But that isn't the case since we see them smiling for the camera.
December 5th, 2004  
Big_Z

I doubt Navy SEALS have embedded media. People just need to realize this is war. I was talking to an Vietnam era SF guy today and he was telling me about his SERE training, whats happening to those pows is disneyland compared to what he went through.
December 5th, 2004  
egoz

well they didn't have to be SF, even if they were normal infantry soldiers then there is still OPSEC that you have to worry about.
December 6th, 2004  
Locke

um, can someone please confirm:
OPSEC = operational security
PERSEC = personal security

is that what they stand for?
cheers