prior service re-enlisting

okiegal

I served in the USAF for 2 years and got out due to child birth. Now I am wanting to enlist with the USCG. I've talked with a recruiter and there's no problems there but the question is .. Will I keep the rank I had at the time of my separtion? (E-3)

I served in the USAF for 2 years and got out due to child birth. Now I am wanting to enlist with the USCG. I've talked with a recruiter and there's no problems there but the question is .. Will I keep the rank I had at the time of my separtion? (E-3)

Here is what the Coast Guard site has to say about prior service and rank.

CoastGuard.com

Prior Service (Other Branch) - Active Duty

If an applicant is enlisting under the Open Rate List, he or she may be enlisted in the rate authorized by the chief of the Coast Guard Command's Enlisted Personnel Management Division.
If the applicant does not hold a specialty at the time of separation that is included on the ORL, they enlist at the paygrade of E-1, regardless of the rank/rate they held at the time of separation.

Reserve Members (Other Branch) - Reserve Enlisted

If a Reserve member has a single, continuous period of six months or more of active service in pay grade E-3 or above, documented on a Report of Separation (DD-214), he/she may be enlisted as an E-3.

If a Reserve member has served less than six months active duty, but can document satisfactory service in his or her Reserve unit for more than one year, he or she may be enlisted as an E-2.

Looks like it depends on what your AFSC was. Definitely something to ask the recruiter and get a solid confirm on before signing the papers.

i saw that and i was told by my recruiter i would keep my rank so it's not adding up to me...

Okay, I gotta admit, I'm confused now. If the recruiter told you that you would keep your rank, why don't you trust him? He's going to be the definitive answer on questions like this. Also, he didn't tell you if you would need to go through BMT again? Perhaps you should meet with him again. No?

Evidently your rate (paygrade) falls under the ORL as PJ24 has quoted. Believe your Recruiter. If he's wrong & it says something else on your contract don't sign it. Walk out or else accept it as is.

I took a bust from Navy E-6 to Army E-4 after a 14 year break in service but made E-5 in 4 months & E-6 a year & a half later. There isn't THAT much difference in pay.

Back