Prinz Eugen in 1945

MontyB,
what are you trying to tell me here, Huh? I got this from a friend and wented to see what you guys thing about it! Prinz Eugen would have had her armament disabled so that she was no longer a ship capable of fighting. what are the few vital part, you can take out on the guns.
Nikki

MontyB,
Prinz Eugen would have had her armament disabled so that she was no longer a ship capable of fighting. what are the few vital part, you can take out on the guns.
Nikki
How old are you ?????
You have been told on at least 3 different military history websites that I know of by dozens of posters that the idea that the Allies would attempt to capture the Prinz Eugen in battle is illogical at best and just plain daft at worse.
Enough now, give it up.

You don't try to capture ships like the Prinz Eugen, you just sink them as quick as possible with the least losses to your self as possible

Guys,
This is about Prinz Eugen in 1945! If it sound like im coming across as a butthead, i was never trying to ok!
Nikki

In the end there is a very simple calculation when dealing with Axis material at the end of WW2, it is.

Anything that does not equal compliance with Allied wishes = Sunk, shot down or destroyed.

They did not play bumper boats where someone on the side of a pool shouts come in number 5 your time is up, in this case if number 5 refused to come in then about 2-300 aircraft would have blown it out of the water.

Guys,
I was never trying to across as a butthead! If it sounded like i was, i was never trying to ok! plus, I was never trying to get you guys mad at me ok! O just cant Explain it, PG is Special to me, and i dont understand why!
Nikki

Last edited:
Guys,
I was never trying to across as a butthead! If it sounded like i was, i was never trying to ok! plus, I was never trying to get you guys mad at me ok! O just cant Explain it, PG is Special to me, and i dont understand why!
Nikki

I have a similar issue with the Prinz Eugen it is a fascinating ship with an interesting albeit short history and oddly enough it is one of the primary reasons I went to the German Naval Memorial at Laboe.

Here are a couple of pictures related to the Prinz Eugen from Laboe...

A model of the ship:
LAB2210013100007.jpg

One of the screws from the Prinz Eugen salvaged in 1979:
LAB2210013100005.jpg

To be honest I don't remember but it is about 3m long so I would estimate 1:80-1:100ish.

If I remember correctly that little brass plaque at the bottom right of the picture has the scale on it.

If Prinz Eugen was able to escape from Dido, Devonshire, Iroqoois, Savage? How would she fair against USS Baltimore, Boston, Canberra, Quincy, Pittsburgh, Saint Paul and well as US light cruisers: USS Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Savannah, Nashville, Phoenix, Boise, Honolulu, St. Louis. Instand of these ships being in the Pacific, there in the Atlantic. Now my idea was for Heavy cruisers Baltimore, Boston, Canberra, Quincy, Pittsburgh, Saint Paul together With HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD Iroquois to come in at her from behind. That will allow light cruisers: USS Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Savannah, Nashville, Phoenix, Boise, Honolulu, St. Louis with the Help of HMS Dido and Savage to come at her head on, so she's totally pin her in from all sides. The ship are side by side, not in line. and I dont mean in a fight, i meant just corning her, then With the 14 US Ships Boxing her in two horseshoe formations the light cruiser on the inside horseshoe and the Heavy Cruisers on the outside horseshoe. Then you can bring Devonshire, Dido, HMCS Iroquois and HMS Savage come in on her to get Tow lines on her and get her crew off and the with just HMS Devonshire, Dido towing her to a US base in Greenland!! What do you think!! no making fun of me!
Nikki

Last edited:
The question remains why would it make a run for it?

It is not like they had a chance to alter outcome of the war on its own so its choices were really quite stark make for a neutral country the closest being Sweden and scuttling the ship or surrender it and go home.

Even had it managed to break out into the Atlantic then what, eventually it would have run out of fuel or most likely been sunk by aircraft before it could have reached a neutral South American country and even had it made it that far it only had same options that the Graf Spee had which was a few hours in port followed by scuttling charges.

Essentially even if you ignore the hopelessness of its cause it was logistically impossible for it to do anything but surrender, scuttle itself or both.

Back