Prince William to join the army

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Oh, I wish I could be his drill sergeant.... :twisted:

LONDON, England -- Prince William, second in line to the British throne, is to follow his brother Prince Harry into the army after gaining entry to the elite military academy Sandhurst, palace officials say.

The 23-year-old future king will be the most senior royal in recent history to train at the prestigious officer training college in Camberley, south of London.

He received the news that he had passed the Regular Commissions Board (RCB) selection process this morning, Clarence House said Friday.

William, who will be head of the armed forces when he becomes king, said he was "absolutely delighted" at the news, the Press Association reported. He took his entrance exam with 20 other candidates this week.

"I am absolutely delighted to have got over the first hurdle, but I am only too well aware, having spoken so much to Harry, that this is just the beginning," he said.

"I am really looking forward to taking my place alongside all the other cadets at Sandhurst."

William, who is upholding the tradition of royal military service, has previously insisted he wants to fight for his country.

Like Harry, his choice of the army differs from most of his relatives. His father, heir to the throne Prince Charles, trained to be a pilot with the Royal Air Force and also signed up to the Royal Navy.

William's grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, began his naval career in 1939. The Duke of York was in the navy for 22 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/21/britain.william/index.html

I think it reflects Britain's position in the world now. The days of the British Navy guarding her ports across the globe are done. Today it's her land forces guarding their homeland and points overseas from threats abroad. Nothing I need tell you, I'm sure. Just making an observation on the topic.

Poor old Uncle Edward couldn't hack the marines.
Not sure about Will but Harry is a tough little bugger.
Interesting to see what Reg they both want to end up in.

Bory.....Yes they would but they would need to have quite a few years experience before than can apply. The main problem would be the worlds press watching their every move, so there would be no secrecy

Back