Prince Harry "will not quit"

Kirruth

Friends of Prince Harry have denied reports that he will quit the Army if he is not allowed to serve in Iraq.

But they admitted he would be "very disappointed" to miss out, the BBC's royal correspondent has been told.

The Ministry of Defence is reviewing Harry's deployment after 11 UK troops were killed this month, one of the bloodiest since the conflict began.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6596653.stm

Prince Harry is serving as a troop commander of a reconnaissance squadron in the Blues and Royals regiment.

Last edited:
If Prince Andrew went to the Falklands when 2nd in line to the throne can't see why the current #3 can't go?

I think there are several differences between Harry and Andrew's situation.

For one thing, the Argentinians couldn't target Andrew personally, and had he been killed or captured, it probably would not have had many political consequences.

I can envisage a couple of Harry-related scenarios which could have serious knock-on effects. One if he was killed by an Iranian supplied shaped charge, another if he was captured (and tortured and beheaded) and video went on the Internet. The politicians would not be able to stop the military and public uniting to open up the proverbial can of, well, you know, should this happen. Still, these outcomes are by the by.

To my mind, if he is not sent because he has other duties to attend to, well, I can respect that. But if he is not sent because of "fears for his safety" or "unforseen consequences", well, I would lose all respect for our military. Going to unsafe places where anything can happen is what soldiers are for, and Harry is a soldier in a proud regiment: not to be sent for these latter reasons would dishonour him and them.

Last edited:
If he wants to go they should let him do so, besides the enemy will not recongise him with the gear he has on so let the brat go.

Last edited:
More leaders should see combat before they serve as politicians.

I don't know if this Prince is in line to get any other royal titles, but he should be able to go to Iraq anyways.

Let him go.
The training they have had is good, the troops around him are experienced, there should be no problem.

He'd be carrying on a tradition of British Royalty at war. If he is targeted or not, that is of no consequence. It sends one hell of a message that a British Prince is willing to put his life on the line to fight the insurgency, and I personally think that is more important than fears of the unforseen.

Harry will not Deploy

Britain’s Prince Harry won’t serve in Iraq
Ministry of Defense says deployment too dangerous for 3rd in line to throne

Updated: 7:38 p.m. ET May 16, 2007
LONDON - Britain’s Prince Harry will not be sent with his unit to Iraq, Britain’s top general said Wednesday, citing specific threats to the third in line to the throne and the risks to his fellow soldiers.
Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt, the army chief of staff who recently traveled to Iraq, said the changing situation on the ground exposed the prince to too much danger. Media scrutiny of Harry’s potential deployment exacerbated the situation, he said.
“There have been a number of specific threats, some reported and some not reported, that relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual,” Dannatt said. “These threats exposed him and those around him to a degree of risk I considered unacceptable.”

Clarence House, the office of Harry’s father, Prince Charles, issued a statement declaring Harry’s disappointment that “he will not be able to go to Iraq with his troop deployment as he had hoped.”
“He fully understands Gen. Dannatt’s difficult decision and remains committed to his army career,” the statement said. “Prince Harry’s thoughts are with the rest of the battle group in Iraq.
The Defense Ministry had long said the decision would be kept under review amid concerns for the security of Harry, a second lieutenant, and other soldiers serving with him. The 22-year-old prince is a tank commander trained to lead a 12-man team in four armored reconnaissance vehicles.
The move comes as Britain is preparing to hand over much of its security responsibilities to Iraqi security forces, concentrating troops at Basra Palace and Basra Air Base.
Insurgent groups looking to target Cornet Wales — as his rank is called in the Blues and Royals regiment — would have had a concentrated area in which to look for him.
'Widespread knowledge' cited
Defense officials had previously said Harry could be kept out of situations where his presence could jeopardize his comrades. There had been speculation he would have been shadowed by bodyguards.
“A contributing factor to this increase in threat to Prince Harry has been the widespread knowledge and discussion of his possible deployment,” Dannatt said.
Harry would have been the first member of the British royal family to serve in a war zone since his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands conflict with Argentina in 1982.
There have been reported threats by Iraqi insurgents to kill or kidnap the prince, including claims his photograph had been widely circulated among militants.
The younger son of Charles and the late Princess Diana, Harry has been a frequent face on the front of Britain’s tabloid newspapers, which have constantly covered his party-going lifestyle at glitzy London nightclubs.

Harry would have been the first member of the British royal family to serve in a war zone since his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands conflict with Argentina in 1982.
Photo making the rounds?
There have been reported threats by Iraqi insurgents to kill or kidnap the prince, including claims his photograph had been widely circulated among militants.
The younger son of the late Princess Diana, Harry has been a frequent face on the front of Britain’s tabloid newspapers, which have constantly covered his party-going lifestyle at glitzy London nightclubs.
Dannatt paid tribute to Harry in his statement, describing him has a professional soldier whose presence will be missed in Iraq.
“I commend him for his determination and his undoubted talent, and I don’t say that lightly,” Dannatt said. “His soldiers will miss his leadership in Iraq, although I know his commanding officer will provide a highly capable substitute troop leader.”

Link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18700611/?GT1=9951

Only for the Brits.... only for the Brits.

I care more about your life than I do about some foreigner.

Months back the Brits said they did not want to pull Harry's deployment orders because they did not want to give the Iraqis fighting the Brits a Victory in Iraq..... well the Brits just told the World the Iraq War is Lost.

If I die in Iraq its a statistic. If a British prince dies thats a tragedy. Sorry, maybe I just find it hard to comprehend that someone is born better then me.

Last edited:
I'm willing to sell squares on the Prince's personal wishes in the situation and the house is laying odds Harry's desires are at odds with the General.

If I die in Iraq its a statistic. If a British prince dies thats a tragedy. If Bush had a son in the military his ass would be on the frontlines. American Gen's wouldn't give a ****.

We shall have to agree to disagree.
I do not believe for one second that if Bush did have a son that his son would be in the US Military, noting that Bush has 2 daughters who have refused to serve in the United States Military, and the President himself being a coward who refused to serve in the Vietnam War when needed.

If he want to go then let him go with his unit. End of it.

Why can't he ask his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, to tell the general to let him go?

Last edited:
I do not know how my response to this Post....

If I die in Iraq its a statistic. If a British prince dies thats a tragedy. Sorry, maybe I just find it hard to comprehend that someone is born better then me.

got ahead on the Board.

Only for the Brits.... only for the Brits.

I care more about your life than I do about some foreigner.

Months back the Brits said they did not want to pull Harry's deployment orders because they did not want to give the Iraqis fighting the Brits a Victory in Iraq..... well the Brits just told the World the Iraq War is Lost.

Now they are in the correct order.

If he want to go then let him go with his unit. End of it.

Why can't he ask his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, to tell the general to let him go?
Because that's not how the military works Fox. You do what you are told no matter if you like it or not.

You do?

Imagine what a captured prince being sported on TV while he gets decapitated would do for the Iraqi effort..

You and/or me in the same place, while tragic would not change any nations commitment to the war.
It wouldn´t cause the coalition whats left of it to crumble.
All in all, good on the prince wanting to go. Also a smart move by the general stopping him.

The intresting discussion in my eyes is:
Should you even be in the Army if you can´t deploy with your mates?

Back