The price of a soldier

Have you ever calculated how the USA can pay for the 17 million barrels of oil it uses every day?
Iraq is an easy math. Iraq produces, or tries to at least when the pipelines are not blown up, 2 million barrels a day. At $35.- per barrel that is $70,000,000.- per day, is $25,550,000,000.- per year. It is surely cheaper to pay with 1000 men, 17,000 wounded and some military materiel, don't you think? And then to have that oil for the next 100 years, wow, its worth to fight in order to keep SUV's rolling don't you think?Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and Jordan are already in the US pocket, because at least 14 million barrels a day are needed, the US makes a little itself. Math boys, grab your calculators and calculate what you are worth.

Hmmmmm, seems that only 20% of our oil comes from the Persian Gulf, with only Saudi Arabia being in the top 5. Most of the oil imported to the US is from 3 counties, ALL IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE!!! CANADA is number 1, with Mexico and Venezuela accounting for the rest. Try using some fact in your posts.....

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/usa.html#oil

I gotta go with Trevor on this. I understand everyone has a right to their opinion but it is gonna :)cen:) upset a lot of people here. How can you, of all, if you are there, say it is all about the oil?

What is a solider worth? Once again with the anti war rhetoric huh?
You don't have to agree with the reasons nor the conduct of the present campaigns. That is your right.

However your comparing the price of a barrel of oil to what the life of a solider, sailor ,airman , or Marine is worth does a disservice to them and once again is in poor taste.

:cheers: What he said..

03USMC said:
However your comparing the price of a barrel of oil to what the life of a solider, sailor ,airman , or Marine is worth does a disservice to them and once again is in poor taste.

Would never happen. His courage only seems to go so far as posting stuff on forums. I take it that while he spouts off all this anti-US, anti-military crap, he lacks the courage of his convictions to say these things to the faces of those he impunes.

What he said was pretty stupid.
Again assuming the 2nd Gulf War was about the oil.
If it's about oil, it's just cheaper to have Saddam Hussein under bribe or guarantee that as long as he supplies oil, the west won't go in. The kind of thing Europe wanted. War to take over the oil facilities etc. is just economically unfeasable. This is why I don't believe it's about the oil.

But before you totally disregard oil as merely "materialistic," let's consider what products depend on oil.
Roads (Asphalt)
Everything plastic... EVERYTHING plastic. Look around you and start listing.
Fuel that runs cars, planes etc.
Power for the cities

So basically if you really do ask is this worth fighting for, then the answer is "yes." Actually it is. You cannot maintain your way of life (which is important, though self righteous lefties often say it's not) if you lose your supply of oil.
So just to say that the war IS about oil, just for the sake of argument, then....
That Captainbuddha's ability to sit on a chair (if plastic, then directly of oil, or if by wood, then electricity for cutting provided by oil), sit in front of a computer (casing in plastic and metal parts again made by power from oil), under an artificial light (oil), in an airconditioned room (oil) listening to music (CD plastic, oil for power) depends on the people fighting abroad.

Doody said:
I would hate to see what would happen if you made that argument infront of a few soldiers who served in Iraq.

Seriously, my cousin came back from Iraq for two weeks and flipped out when the cashier at the quick-stop wouldnt accept his military id card for purchase of tobacco...During those two weeks I'm surprised he hasnt heard anything "anti-war" (It would be obvious if he heard, trust me)

Judas said:
Seriously, my cousin came back from Iraq for two weeks and flipped out when the cashier at the quick-stop wouldnt accept his military id card for purchase of tobacco...During those two weeks I'm surprised he hasnt heard anything "anti-war" (It would be obvious if he heard, trust me)

I've ran into a few anti-war people since I have been back from Iraq. All of them have been quite respectful. Most of them say some thing like "I am sorry that you had to be over there" or "I think we have no right to be over there." They look pretty shocked when I tell them I have no regrets and I would not complain if I get sent back over. Their eyes get pretty wide when I tell them that I actually volunteered to go. 8) They will never understand!!!

03USMC said:
What is a solider worth? Once again with the anti war rhetoric huh?
You don't have to agree with the reasons nor the conduct of the present campaigns. That is your right.

Damn straight 03

Back