Price Per Gallon

moving0target

Item:

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since expunging these blotches on its image of purity, the industry has exploded, with the market now growing at a strong rate of 8 to 10 percent per year -- about twice as fast as the rate for other beverages. [40] According to industry stock analysts, "the profit margins in the business are really pretty good" -- for some bottlers in the neighborhood of 25 to 30 percent. [41] That means every $1.50 bottle of water brings around $0.50 in profit. The actual cost of the water in the bottle purchased off a store shelf is generally just a fraction of a cent to a few cents. [42] Thus, typically 90 percent or more of the cost paid by bottled water consumers goes to things other than the water itself -- bottling, packaging, shipping, marketing, retailing, other expenses, and profit. As the then-chairman of the board of the Perrier Corporation stated in a remarkable moment of candor, "It struck me . . .that all you had to do is take the water out of the ground and then sell it for more than the price of wine, milk, or, for that matter, oil." [/FONT]
Source:

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/chap2.asp

Item:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
An industry-wide study in the late 1990s showed that oil industry profits amounted to an estimated 7.3 cents on each gallon sold.1 More recently, ConocoPhillips reported that during the third quarter of 2005 earnings from its U.S. refining and marketing operations amounted to 9 cents per gallon. This compares with a national average retail price of $2.60 per gallon during the third quarter, the period of highest gasoline prices in 2005.
[/FONT]

Source:

http://www.conocophillips.com/newsroom/other_resources/energyanswers/oil_profits.htm
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
Why aren't consumers hacked off at companies that bottle water? .50 per gallon profit is outrageous! It's certainly just a bit more than the .09 cents per gallon "big oil" rakes in.

Perhaps if US consumers used 23,730,000,000 gallons of water per day this would be an issue. As it is, I call for a nationwide boycott of Pepsi Co. and the Coca-Cola company. :sarc:

[/FONT]

I can get water from my tap, or a public water fountain. I don't HAVE to buy bottled water at an expensive price. (24pck of 24oz bottles @ 4.50 on sale is what I usually pay).

I do HAVE to buy gas, and right now, companies are gouging. Even the states are with their taxes on the price per gallon (some as high as 80 cents).

This article seems silly to me. Ask a water company how much they netted last year, then ask the oil companies.

When I have to have bottled water, I'll worry about it, right now, gas prices ARE an issue.

I'm gonna go and drink my 1.60 bottle of Mt. Dew now. :mrgreen:

The oil industry had one of its best years last year. Over $1.1 Billion windfall in 2005...

With the price of oil at $75 a gallon somebody is popping the Champagne Bottles...

Does anybody else think its high time to get going on Hydrogen fuel R&D?

Last edited:
My point here is that everyone freaks out at the oil companies for their nine cents per gallon rather than the government's 30+ cents per gallon or the jackasses in the Middle East, South America, Africa, et al for price gouging on the cost of a barrel of crude ($70 per 42 gallon barrel or 1.70 out of a gallon of gas) or the not-in-my-backyard crowd that refuse to allow construction of more refineries or the nitwit "environmentalists" that have an aneurysm every time someone says "drill" or the corporations that bury alternate fuel sources or.....*runs out of breath*

And on top of that, everyone seems to have forgotten basic :cens: economics. It's supply and :cens: demand!

Ok. I think I'm done...

PJ24 said:
I can get water from my tap, or a public water fountain. I don't HAVE to buy bottled water at an expensive price. (24pck of 24oz bottles @ 4.50 on sale is what I usually pay).

I do HAVE to buy gas, and right now, companies are gouging. Even the states are with their taxes on the price per gallon (some as high as 80 cents).

This article seems silly to me. Ask a water company how much they netted last year, then ask the oil companies.

When I have to have bottled water, I'll worry about it, right now, gas prices ARE an issue.

I'm gonna go and drink my 1.60 bottle of Mt. Dew now. :mrgreen:
Target ... get real. As far as bottled water, I could drink water from a mud puddle or a stream if I couldn't get it from any other place. Gasoline on the other hand, can ONLY be obtained at very limited and specific locations. It isn't as though we really have any choice nowadays ... we have become a mobile society and everything is organized around motor vehicles. From going to visit aunt Milly to the drive back and forth to work, without motor vehicles society grounds to a halt.

So your contention doesn't hold water ... of course most wacko ideas don't.

Oh you guys, stop whining like old ladies! Taking the exchange rate into account we pay about $6.20 per gallon overhere. We are being sucked dry by the oil companies and our government and there seems to be nothing we can do about it. We surpassed the psychological border of $5 and nothing happened, so things just kept rising. Ans we drive them ittybitty cars that easily do 15 km per liter!

Chief Bones said:
Target ... get real. As far as bottled water, I could drink water from a mud puddle or a stream if I couldn't get it from any other place. Gasoline on the other hand, can ONLY be obtained at very limited and specific locations. It isn't as though we really have any choice nowadays ... we have become a mobile society and everything is organized around motor vehicles. From going to visit aunt Milly to the drive back and forth to work, without motor vehicles society grounds to a halt.

So your contention doesn't hold water ... of course most wacko ideas don't.

I was drawing a parallel in gross profits rather than availability. I do apologize for causing you such distress.

Your assertion about availability touches on my last post. Everyone seems convinced that the only way to power a motor vehicle is gasoline. If alternate technologies were getting more than a sidelong glance, we could get our fuel of out a cornfield or your streams and mud puddles. At that point, we certainly wouldn't have to worry about "very limited and specific locations" would we?

People are their own worst enemies on this issue because they're completely misled and misinformed. They have no clue about any of the things I mentioned in my last post, and they don't care to learn. The most obvious target is the nearest oil company and its nine cents per gallon so they take off after it like a half blind blue tick after a rabbit. Our society has become a lazy one, and it takes effort to learn.

Ted said:
Oh you guys, stop whining like old ladies! Taking the exchange rate into account we pay about $6.20 per gallon overhere. We are being sucked dry by the oil companies and our government and there seems to be nothing we can do about it. We surpassed the psychological border of $5 and nothing happened, so things just kept rising. Ans we drive them ittybitty cars that easily do 15 km per liter!

How much of the price of gasoline is taxes?

In the US it differs state to state, but the average is $.30 per gallon. I'm pretty curious about the Europeans as well.

And, with a foray to Wikipedia, I've got what's probably a close approximation. Seems in the UK, they pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.37 per gallon in taxes. OUCH!

Last edited:
Missileer said:
How much of the price of gasoline is taxes?
Taxes can account for as much as .80 cents a gallon.

Target I realised what you were TRYING to do ... you just went way overboard and didn't come back to the main thread discussion. I realize that you did in later posts , but your original thread post didn't reflect the thread topic which was about gas NOT water.

moving0target said:
In the US it differs state to state, but the average is $.30 per gallon. I'm pretty curious about the Europeans as well.

And, with a foray to Wikipedia, I've got what's probably a close approximation. Seems in the UK, they pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.37 per gallon in taxes. OUCH!

Voila!! Er, I mean right-o!

moving0target said:

Hahahahaha peanuts! I just looked it up on our government.nl website. It seems that on every litre we pay 65% tax. If I take the little arithmetic with price, gallon I end up paying a staggering $4.03 per gallon! And our wages are lower then yours and we pay ridiculous tax on our wages as well.

I am starting to worry guys. First I altered my views on guns and now on taxes.... what's happening????

Next thing you know, Ted, you'll be listening to Rush Limbaugh over the internet...and agreeing with what he says. Heh.

Its about $4.30 in France, good thing I don't have a car, I'd have to give up such luxuries such as eating.

I believe the most expensive is the UK in Western Europe where its over $5.00 a gallon.

Mmarsh said:
Its about $4.30 in France, good thing I don't have a car, I'd have to give up such luxuries such as eating.

It is about that much in Canada as well.

I expect we will see $3.50 before long.

There is a small movement with in the US starting. Some towns are boycotting the larger gas companies. Of course, this won't have a huge impact, but it is a message nonetheless.

The government is going to HAVE to step in and cut this out, I don't care how much they lose in taxes.

People tried that overhere too. The plan was to not visite any gas station for 1 day. Unfortunately many people didn't help with this. The signal was very clear but due to the limited number of participants politics whiped it away. Too bad and a lost chance to make a loud and clear statement!

The U.K press have coined a phrase recently-"Rip-off Britain"
Heres a couple of examples why;
Coke and the water scandal
Posted by: aroney on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:10 AM GMT
spacer.gif
I'm sure we all knew how dodgy coke were but I don't think anyone ever thought they would bottle tap water at a cost of 0.03p and then sell it on at 95p. I am referring to the bottled water called Dasani. Coke are actually making a markup of up to 3,166% per 500ml bottle. Coke claim that the markup is because of the filtering and mineral addition that occurs. However, the water companies supplying Coke with the water claim it is already fit for human consumption because it has gone through 9 filtering and screening processes.

It looks like Coke are just trying to exploit more people and at a time when people, particularly young children, are being encouraged to choose healthier drinks over the fizzy ones the company is traditionally associated with.

For more information on this issue visit the following links:
ABC Online Australia
Newsday.com
Glasgow Daily Record
Independent

and also.....

Why UK petrol prices remain high

By Bill Wilson
BBC News business reporter
999999.gif

_41285286_petrolforecourt203.jpg
A large slice of the UK petrol price goes to the Treasury

Soaring profits at Anglo-Dutch energy giant Royal Dutch Shell and other oil firms have led to calls from motorists for station forecourt petrol prices to be cut.
Shell's figures come as motorists face prices of about 90p a litre at pumps.
Some groups, such as the Fuel Lobby - which last year unsuccessfully tried to make the government reduce tax on fuel - said the profits were excessive.
"The British motorist is being hammered by, if not excessive taxation, then excessive profiteering," it said.

Spokesman Andrew Spence said fuel users were "getting hit on all sides".
'No rip-off'
However, most of Shell's profits comes from finding and extracting oil, and then selling it on to the markets - where the price is very high at present due to a number of factors, including demand, political instability and acts of nature.
Very little profit comes from forecourt sales of fuel - which in the UK attracts among the highest taxes in Europe.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
Oil companies cannot set the world oil price, which is set on the world markets
end_quote_rb.gif

Nick Vandervell, of the UK Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA), said: "Before tax, fuel prices in the UK are among the cheapest in Europe."

inline_dashed_line.gif

Shell makes record UK profits

In the UK fuel duty is set at 47.1p for every litre of unleaded petrol and diesel while VAT is a further 17.5%.
Of the 90p a litre that the motorist pays, therefore, the Treasury receives 60.5p or 67%, and it costs the garage 23.2p to buy the petrol. That leaves a margin of just 6.3p, or 7% of the litre price, for the forecourt, which also has to meet the cost of running the petrol station. According to the AA, if a garage makes as much as a 2p profit out of a litre of petrol, "that is a lot".

[SIZE=+1]How Rip-Off Britain started

In 1986 I campaigned British Telecom to itemise their telephone bills. It was absurd that a phone bill only showed the 'final amount to pay', leaving the consumer no idea whether phone calls were accurately recorded or not and, more importantly, leaving no recourse for challenge or complaint! It was akin to going to the petrol station and filling up the car with no visible pump meter present! After arriving back from Canada (where phone bills had been itemised for years), this was my first rude awakening to 'Rip-Off Britain'.
The 'Rip-Off Britain' campaign got into full swing in 1998 when I launched my website in an effort to get justice for the British public. I have since appeared on BBC2 Newsnight, Sky News, numerous national and local radio stations and talk shows, have written various articles, and have even 'duped' the scammers at their own game! I continue to vigorously campaign for the British consumer in one the most expensive, 'cutthroat' and consumer exploited countries in the World.

justiceimg.gif

[SIZE=+1]The Rip-Off continues[/SIZE]
The phrase "Rip-Off Britain" was originally coined during 1997 because of the vast difference in car prices in the UK as compared with the rest of Europe. 'Rip-Off' is now part of our everyday language - especially when we realise or discover to our horror, anger and dismay we've been duped, scammed, 'taken for a ride', or have been plain diddled out of our hard earned money by shoddy goods, poor service, unscrupulous or sharp business practices, exorbitant charges, etc.
My aim is to ensure that 'Rip-Off Britain' remains ingrained in our mind-set, by reminding people to be more vigilant in their purchases and everyday dealings. However, if you do unfortunately get 'ripped-off', you're going to discover that by using my proven methods & tactics of complaint, you'll achieve a satisfactory outcome and a result in your favour in the majority of cases.
Our understanding the British 'rip-off' culture has vastly improved over the past decade or so. But despite our efforts and the many media campaigns on TV & Radio; the 'so-called' voluntary business codes of conduct that is supposed to be the 'magic bullet' to protect us all, and successive Government intervention by often weak and ineffective legislation, there are STILL significant areas within our economy and throughout society where British consumers are continually being Ripped-Off !
[/SIZE]

Back