Pretty impressive commercial

been around for a while, but very impressive
aparently there is only 2 seconds of animation in that entire thing!!!

Its been out here for the last two years.

Anyone got a ling to the basket ball one by Nike I think.

That commercial's been out for about two years, and there's no animation at all in it. And yes, those are tires rolling uphill, they're weighted at the top ;)Very impressive. Apparently it took something like 6 weeks to film because even the smallest vibration would set the whole sequence into motion....

Someone posted that the tires were weighted. Its possible, but then again
its quite sad to think people have gone to the effort to perfecting every single movement...
:?

whoa! that was wierd. When i saw the topic of this thread, that commercial was the first that came to my mind, even before i opened the topic.

dougal, i dont have the basketball one, but i downloaded the nike soccer match in the ship, that has got to be my favorite ad

i want to know why i've never seen this commercial in the US. seems like all of the funny creative commercials are played in asia, europe, australia, even canada, but not in the US. we can't even show janet jackson's boob for 1/10 of a second without the whole country going into chaos (btw, if that happened anywhere else on the planet no one would care). i think people here need to lighten up a bit, life is getting too stressful and people are forgetting how to laugh and joke around.

On one of the more automotive forums I go to someone posted this commercial, there's a website done by the company that made it I think. It was to promote the 2002(I think) Accord. When I find the link I'll post it

Italian Guy said:
There must be some animation in there: how can the wheels roll up like that? It's fake.
Actually, it's not fake. If you look close the wheels are weighted just right so they roll up the ramp. Watch for them to have a vump in velocity. I read about it and i site that i can't find right now, but it took hundreds of takes to get it right.

k I finally found it...well I didn't, but the mod who posted it did. He onyl put the text though:

Someone's just pointed this discussion out to me. It's fascinating stuff, especially watching the myths develop.

I work at Wieden and Kennedy. We made the Cog ad for Honda, so I thought I'd answer some of the points that have been raised. (But I don't work in the TV department, so I don't know a load of really technical jargon.)

And Slamdunk - I'm sorry, you lose your $100.

First, overall. There's hardly any CG involved. The one big bit is that we made the film in two halves and stitched them together. The join is where the exhaust pipe (muffler) rolls across the floor. We've always been upfront about having done this. We did it to reduce the risk of doing a take that worked for 110 seconds then failed at the end. Which would have been horribly frustrating. Some of you might have seen version we did which has an Accord saloon at the end. That's how we did that - we filmed a different back half to the film and stitched it together with the original first half.

Then we did a little bit of CG to 'tidy things up' i.e. we took out lots of reflections. With so much shiny metal around, you get all sorts of relections of the camera and technicians and stuff. We took that stuff out. But we didn't make anything happen that didn't happen in the real world.

The wheels rolling uphill are just weighted.

There's no CG on the windscreen fluid.

That's what speakers look like if you rig them up like that and play music through them.

There was someone in the car at the end, pressing the brake pedal at the last minute.

Basically, everything that you see on the film actually happened. That's the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Especially if you want to make it look good.

I think if you watch the thing at broadcast quality rather than quicktime etc some of this becomes a lot more obvious.

It didn't take 606 takes. That's a product of a joke, lazy journalism and google/lexis nexis.

We made a 5-minute film - 'the making of Cog' - and in that one of the creatives wrote 606 on a clapperboard as a gag. Some journalist saw that video and reported that the thing took 606 takes. Then every subsequent journalist found the same thing on google/lexis-nexis and reported it as a fact. We started denying it but no-one seemed to care.

It took two days to actually shoot. But there were months of rehearsal, practise and design with a small group of designers and sculptures and choreographers planning how to make it work and look great.

The online/media strategy was a bit wonky to start with. We weren't just prepared for the interest it would generate, especially in the States, where it's never run. We didn't think many people would be willing to download a two-minute ad. We were wrong. We'll know better next time. In the UK we made a million DVDs and distributed them with national newspapers, so most people have seen the ad that way - which means they've also seen the 'making of' film.

I think that's about it. I hope this has answered some questions and punctured some conspiracy theories. If anyone still cares, it's just an ad afterall.

It's not just good commercials that dont' come to NA, good cars get passed over too. In OZ they have holdens, and RWD ford's that aren't 30 years old....In Russia they have a version of the hummer that looks tougher than a real hummer..I know you're all probably thinking that's impossible but look it up on google, T-98 Kombat

pimp_squeak said:
It's not just good commercials that dont' come to NA, good cars get passed over too. In OZ they have holdens, and RWD ford's that aren't 30 years old....In Russia they have a version of the hummer that looks tougher than a real hummer..I know you're all probably thinking that's impossible but look it up on google, T-98 Kombat
there are few good cars that get passed up to the US market. the T-98 isn't one of them. it's a hummer knock off that costs just as much as the H2. don't even get me started on how Korea knocks off Japanese cars. they just rebadge them but they're basically accords or civics. if the car does well in europe or japan then they'd be willing to sell it in the US. the market is huge here, as long as it'll fit in. they need to realize that the US doesn't need a Ford Ka, we have civics, minis, kias, saturns, ford doesn't stand to make any money here with that car.
off the top of my head there are only a handfull of cars that i think should have been brought to the US. cars like the Skyline, Lotus Elise (i wish it came sooner), Spyker, maybe a few more that I can't think of at the moment. But I think they'd sell pretty well in the US, but most of them couldn't pass the government testing or they just wouldn't/couldn't get the recognition they deserve.

I could make a list a mile long. The North American car market always gets second rate goods. Take a look at the interior of a euro market opel astra and then the interior of the Saturn Ion and you cannot tell me the we get the shaft. GM finally decided to import the holden monaro as the GTO. I don't udnerstand why they can't do the same thing with the VY commodores and calais'. Maybe it is a limited market but they can pull it off, they did with the GTO.

The new GTO isn't exactly selling as strongly as they wanted it to. I don't doubt a few European brand manufacturers don't make good cars. But like I said, they don't get the attention they deserve in the US market. Opel is a good example of that. But cars like the BMW 1-series I don't think would cut it. Europe and the US have drastically different opinions on cars and brands. I don't know how well a "cheap" BMW or MB would last in the US. They're seen as luxury brands and some might see releasing a lower end model as taking away from their E-class. I honestly don't regard the C-class as much of a MB in the first place.

egoz said:
The new GTO isn't exactly selling as strongly as they wanted it to. I don't doubt a few European brand manufacturers don't make good cars. But like I said, they don't get the attention they deserve in the US market. Opel is a good example of that. But cars like the BMW 1-series I don't think would cut it. Europe and the US have drastically different opinions on cars and brands. I don't know how well a "cheap" BMW or MB would last in the US. They're seen as luxury brands and some might see releasing a lower end model as taking away from their E-class. I honestly don't regard the C-class as much of a MB in the first place.

I can udnerstand if maybe in the good old US of A the wouldn't sell as well but Canada has quite the market for small cars. I'm a member on a number of automotive bards where most fo the members are foreign nationals who have come to North America and they complain up and down about quality/fit and finish/performance of cars here. I can understand maybe Ford and DCX have an excuse for this as most of their products are universal but General Motors has more brands than I can count that aren't available in North America. Holdens should be brought from OZ and the middle east as Chevies, Opels should be Saturns/Pontiacs, and Cadillac should have an identity of its own(which is getting worked on)

Back