Can't you ****in' read?
Nice ****in' accents
Why can't you speak like me
What's that dot on you head,
Do you use it to see??

Edit- I do not agree with this song at all

Last edited:
Indeed, amen to that, too.

Many Mexicans came here in USA with no knowledge of English, tho....

I don't care what language people speak amongst themselves, I could walk up on a group of people speaking Klingon and not care, but when I walk into a Lowe's in Brookings, SD (pop. 18,000, 95.49% white, .88% Hispanic) and see signs written in English and Spanish I feel that things are going to far. It's not so much that the signs are in Spanish, but the costs associated with it. This is the same reason why the United States doesn't go metric, the cost to change all the road signs alone to include English and Spanish would be horrendous, everything would be printed in double, the costs would add up. I don't go down to Mexico and demand that everyone speak English* so why should others be allowed to come here and require it of us? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

* English is the most widely spoken language in the world so while I don't demand it I do generally expect to be able to find someone who speaks English without trouble.

"Out of the mouths of babes"

Why is it that there are always some who must behave as if they are "to the right of Genghis Khan"?

Arrogance is not the cure for ignorance.

This subject is right on track, but it must be approached from the right angle otherwise we are as bad as those whom we accuse.

I believe we still have Legislation pending in the U.S. Government to make English the Official Language of the United States Government.

Key Points of the Bill....

English would be designated the Official Language of the U.S. Government, covering all U.S. Government Employees.

English Only would extend to Federal Actions, Documents, Policies, Publications, Income Tax Forms, Informational Materials, Records, Proceedings, and Letters to Citizens, with very few Exceptions.

I believe this is a good first step, and would like to see the US Congress act on such, if it is still around, as it is an old bill, as in years old, but I believe it can be brought back to the floor for a vote, and now seems to be the time to do it, seeing how foreigners are a hot item.

It certainly sounds like a good step to me.

It only makes sense, in my opinion, otherwise it would seem to me that the Federal Government may need to translate English into every Language on Earth, as there are people from all over the World here in the USA, and we do have that Equal Protection Clause..... so, it would stand to reason that someone speaking Chinese, or other Non-English Language would want all Government Correspondence and such in his or her own Language, if the Government uses English and Spanish, or some other non-English Language.... saves having people end up trying to sue the Government..... since we cant have all, we pick only one.

Think about it. How many other nations in the world have their "Official Language". How hard is it to make a law stating:

"English is the only language that will be used on official or unofficial government correspondance. Failure to do so will result in fines and penalties of (Insert misdemeanor charge here)."

I think that would pretty much cover everything.

How about why did you leave your culture if it was so good to come to ours and force yours on us?

America is a country of different cultures.

I think when people come here they should be given one year to learn english. and at the end of that year they should be given a test, if they pass they get to stay, if not they have to back to their own country, and if they decide to come back the next time they only get 6 months to learn english.

If they're willing to learn my language, assimilate to a DEGREE(including but not limited to speaking English), and go through proper channels for registration of citizenry, then I say "Welcome home." But if you want to climb over a fence or float on a door 90 miles to Miami so you can make as many babies as humanly possible to "stake your claim"in my country, then I say float back home. It's a matter of willingness. If you're willing to learn the rules of the game that is life in the US of A, then fine, you can play. If not, we don't want you to.

I think when people come here they should be given one year to learn english. and at the end of that year they should be given a test, if they pass they get to stay, if not they have to back to their own country, and if they decide to come back the next time they only get 6 months to learn english.

So you expect a person trying to support a family to become proficient in a language in a year? I have 2 years of Spanish under my belt and in no way shape or form expect to be able to conduct business in Mexico. What your asking is impossible.

If they're willing to learn my language, assimilate to a DEGREE(including but not limited to speaking English), and go through proper channels for registration of citizenry, then I say "Welcome home." But if you want to climb over a fence or float on a door 90 miles to Miami so you can make as many babies as humanly possible to "stake your claim"in my country, then I say float back home. It's a matter of willingness. If you're willing to learn the rules of the game that is life in the US of A, then fine, you can play. If not, we don't want you to.

I'm with ya there. If the assimilate, let them stay. If they wont learn the language of the country among other things, kick right back out. Send 'em back the way they came in, don't spend money flying them back or taking a comfortable boat.

I have to admit though, this is pretty cool. http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/02/04/cuba.car.ap/

Back