Presidential Address Wed 9-24-08 2100

I'm not sure why Obama let McCain slide on his claim of helping vets during the debate. I found this on a comment about the debate online. Not sure how much is true but I know a lot of vets aren't happy with McCain. (I bolded the comment regarding eye contact - I noticed the same thing.)

Time and time again McCain keep serving up veteran's issues and how he supported them. Really??

Straight Talk & McCain's Support For the Military

McCain has repeatedly voted against amendments in the Senate that would have covered such important services as improving care at veterans hospitals, providing mental health services to soldiers with post-traumatic stress disorder and substance abuse problems:

• In 2006, McCain voted against the Kerry amendment that would eliminate increased fees and co-payments for veterans in the TRICARE health care program by raising the discretionary spending limit by approximately $10 billion. The provisions would have been fully offset by eliminating creating corporate tax breaks. [2006 Senate Vote #67, 3/16/2006]
  • McCain was one of only 13 Republicans to vote against an amendment that added over $400 million for inpatient and outpatient care for veterans. [2006 Senate Vote #98, 4/26/2006]
  • McCain voted against increasing funding for veterans health care by $2.8 billion in 2006. [2005 Senate Vote #55, 3/16/2005]
  • "The only thing missing was Obama calling McSame what he is flat out...''''''''a liar''''''''. "
We should be honest - McCain is a lying scumbag not just a liar... notice how he could not come up with a straight answer, never looked at his audience or Obama, and even at the end when Obama shook his hand and tried to look him in the eye, McCain could not make eye contact.

That IS the GOP mantra...8 recent years of proof there.
  • McCain joined his Republican Senate cohorts in opposing exempting all military personnel and veterans from means testing in bankruptcy cases. [2005 Senate Vote #13, 3/1/2005]
  • McCain opposed an amendment that would reduce from 60 to 55 the age at which certain members of the National Guard and Army reserves could receive retirement benefits. [2004 Senate Vote #136, 6/23/2004]
  • Senator McCain opposed $322 million in funding for "battlefield clearance and safety equipment for U.S. troops in Iraq." A reduction in Iraqi reconstruction funds would have funded the additional protection for troops in the battlefield. [2003 Senate Vote #376, 10/2/2003]
  • McCain voted against an amendment that would increase spending on the veterans health care program TRICARE by $20.3 billion over 10 years to members of the National Guard and Reserves. The increase would be offset by a reduction in tax cuts. [2003 Senate Vote #81, 3/25/2003]
  • McCain opposed an amendment that would have increased veterans spending by $13 billion from 1997-2002 to be offset by closing corporate tax preferences and reinstating expired taxes. [1996 Senate Vote #115, 5/16/1996]
And YES I am pissed that Obama did not mention this.

How about a trip down memory lane:
It is NOT difficult to find information as to McCain's voting record when he is dealing with military matters. Even a surface look at the record, puts the lie to his assertion he wholly supports military members (active and retired).

McCAIN IS NOT REALLY THE MILITARY'S BEST FRIEND.

Excellent post CB. John McCain is not the same politician as he was in 2000 (more honest). He won't win anyway. Is Obama going to come up with the goods? Not sure, but I think he is a better bet than "Old" Johnny and "Call of the Wild" Sarah.:cowb:

Ok this is what I want from a president
1) free health care for vets and disabled vets
2) SS to be totally funded premantely
3) retired people to NOT have to eat dog food
4) working class people to get ahead some for once
5) no child left behind to go the hell away (if your kid ain't smart enough....so sorry try again, or get more involved with their school work)
6) cars and trucks that run on whatever i want to put in the tank.
7) our military along the borders protection our country instead of somebody elses country
8) descent jobs for descent people
9) jobs for everybody
10) the National Anthem of a country to be in THAT country's language, and NO OTHER LANGUAGE
11) everybody to stfu and get along
12) Politicians to tell the truth.
13) coffee to be free :)
14) a 5 day work week for EVERY American
15) people to be able to live in comfort working a 5 day week
16) prices to go back down where they were in 1988 and friggin STAY there.

just a few things I'll never see in my life

Add continued education for the ones that actually are smart and you've got my vote.
I thought that was the original plan for this country?
Hell I'll do ya one better to get your vote, I'll help educate anybody that wants it, not just children.
trust me I could post my plan for if I was to screw up and become president, but it would take about an hour to read it all. Its real simple, whats right would be done. whats not right would not be done.

Back