President Sends 3.83 Trillion Dollar Budget to Congress

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100201/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_budget

Certainly some high and low points in this budget... Unfortunate that the spending has increased so much, although it would seem it was necessary... VERY excited about the education funding... Lord knows we need more of that. Also very pleased to see those "broad, sweeping changes" in No Child Left Behind... That was a crock of $#^!, if I do say so myself.

As pressing a matter I believe health care to be, I think Obama's first term needs to be focused on fixing this economy. Certainly spending freeze caps will do so... Anyone on the redder side of the field buying in to this, or do you think it's a sham?

His budget freeze is @ record level of spending & covers only 17%(reportedly) & exempts all the entitlement programs that will probably see big spending increase.

administration officials argued that Obama inherited a deficit that was already topping $1 trillion when he took office and given the severity of the downturn, the president had to spend billions of dollars stabilizing the financial system and jump-starting growth.

Already addressed in the article... He had to spend that much to keep America alive.

What about the rest of the budget? The tax increases for high income families? Tax breaks for less well off families? Education spending?

You completely ignored about 9/10 of the article.

Already addressed in the article... He had to spend that much to keep America alive.

What about the rest of the budget? The tax increases for high income families? Tax breaks for less well off families? Education spending?

You completely ignored about 9/10 of the article.

President Obama doing the old Robin Hood (read Democrat vote getting scheme) thing. Make those who actually work pay, and giving lower income voters $600.00 or $800.00 tax breaks.

He is modifying "No child left behind". Not replacing it. Should go back to a school system that demands that children learn the three "Rs" first. Reading, wRriting, and aRithmatic.
His college spending won't do anything. Increases in tuition will suck the money up with no increase in students.

I realise that he is not spending as much as he would like, the voters are all ready showing their aversion to Democrats big spending plans. But he is not trying to get spending under control.

President Obama doing the old Robin Hood (read Democrat vote getting scheme) thing. Make those who actually work pay, and giving lower income voters $600.00 or $800.00 tax breaks.
My uncle makes $750,000 a year and he never leaves home. Is THAT actually work? Look, the simple fact of the matter is a lot of high income families DON'T work as hard as those who make a lot less. If I stacked up the salaries of teachers in Alabama vs that of a stock broker in Alabama, I guarantee you the teacher works harder for less money. It's the same everywhere. The emphasis is TERRIBLY skewed in this day and age. Big business CEOs sit on their fat butts all day and "manage" these companies while teachers BUST their butts every day to try and get kids interested in learning.
He is modifying "No child left behind". Not replacing it. Should go back to a school system that demands that children learn the three "Rs" first. Reading, wRriting, and aRithmatic.
His college spending won't do anything. Increases in tuition will suck the money up with no increase in students.
Yeah, I know. But I like "broad, sweeping changes" more than the original idea (John McCain voted for it).
I realise that he is not spending as much as he would like, the voters are all ready showing their aversion to Democrats big spending plans. But he is not trying to get spending under control.
I guess I'm just failing to understand how "spending freeze caps" isn't trying to get spending under control.

My uncle makes $750,000 a year and he never leaves home. Is THAT actually work? Look, the simple fact of the matter is a lot of high income families DON'T work as hard as those who make a lot less. If I stacked up the salaries of teachers in Alabama vs that of a stock broker in Alabama, I guarantee you the teacher works harder for less money. It's the same everywhere. The emphasis is TERRIBLY skewed in this day and age. Big business CEOs sit on their fat butts all day and "manage" these companies while teachers BUST their butts every day to try and get kids interested in learning.
Yeah, I know. But I like "broad, sweeping changes" more than the original idea (John McCain voted for it).
I guess I'm just failing to understand how "spending freeze caps" isn't trying to get spending under control.

Someone that has never worked to support themselves can not assess how hard someone works. If you think hard work means you have to operate a jack hammer, you are wrong. In short you have no more of an idea how hard your uncle worked to get what he has than I do.

Since hard work seems to mean actual physical labor to you, why are you going to college? As a music major, it shows by your standards, you don't plan on "working".:)

I haven't read anything about jack hammers anywhere in this thread. Nor have I read one word about "hard work" meaning "physical labor."

Seems like you're calling the kettle black there, pal. The whole "inferring your own meaning in to posts" (or PMs. LMAO) thing.

I haven't read anything about jack hammers anywhere in this thread. Nor have I read one word about "hard work" meaning "physical labor."

Seems like you're calling the kettle black there, pal. The whole "inferring your own meaning in to posts" (or PMs. LMAO) thing.

You know exactly what I mean. You questioned whether your uncle worked.

"My uncle makes $750,000 a year and he never leaves home. Is THAT actually work?"

You, having no work experience, cannot judge what constitutes work.:roll:
You asked the question, don't get your panties in a bunch when someone answers.:)

You're an idiot. You can take it, but you can't dish it out. You would be jumping down my throat over some sort of inference like that, but I gave you a slight reprimand and you get ten types of defensive. It's hilarious. But I digress... You inferred a meaning, and YOU were wrong. Apology accepted.

As to your second point, you have no idea what sort of work experience I have, so again, you cannot assume. (Although in this case, you're only making an ass out of yourself.)

But I do commend you, once again, on your ability to COMPLETELY STRAY FROM THE TOPIC.

The fact that you haven't been banned yet is only less amazing than the fact that I haven't been banned yet.

As to your second point, you have no idea what sort of work experience I have, so again, you cannot assume. (Although in this case, you're only making an ass out of yourself.)

From you profile:

Let's see, 19 years old, going to college.

That means I am not assuming anything. You have no work experience.:p
As far as being off topic, anyone can see that you went off topic, to detract from the points I made on the subject.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You're relying on an internet forum profile for a life story?! You're a bigger idiot than I thought! Is your entire life in detail on your profile? I sure hope not, because that's not a lot to say for a man of your age.

You ARE assuming, and now you're trying to wiggle your way out of it because the REALITY of the situation is that you have NO IDEA what kind of work experience I have. I've been "working" since I was 15. No, not for sustenance, but I've been working for my money. I never got an allowance growing up, and I'm receiving a LITTLE help from my parents for tuition to school. The rest is student loans and my own money.

As far as who went off topic... I disputed your points on tax breaks, No Child Left Behind, AND the spending, and you went on a tangent about how I have no actual work experience blah blah blah. HOW did I take that off topic? LOL

You know what? I'm through with this. I'm not going to treat a 58 year old going on 4 like he deserves some sort of credibility.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You're relying on an internet forum profile for a life story?! You're a bigger idiot than I thought! Is your entire life in detail on your profile? I sure hope not, because that's not a lot to say for a man of your age.

You ARE assuming, and now you're trying to wiggle your way out of it because the REALITY of the situation is that you have NO IDEA what kind of work experience I have. I've been "working" since I was 15. No, not for sustenance, but I've been working for my money. I never got an allowance growing up, and I'm receiving a LITTLE help from my parents for tuition to school. The rest is student loans and my own money.

As far as who went off topic... I disputed your points on tax breaks, No Child Left Behind, AND the spending, and you went on a tangent about how I have no actual work experience blah blah blah. HOW did I take that off topic? LOL

You know what? I'm through with this. I'm not going to treat a 58 year old going on 4 like he deserves some sort of credibility.

After reading this, it is obvious someone needs a time out.:crybaby:
BTW, I believe resorting to name calling is a sign of immaturity to go along with your inexperience.:lol:

Let's see. he is 19, has worked for his own money since 15. While family puts a roof over his head, feeds him, his mother is probably still doing his laundry, and parents pay his tuition. He knows what working is..... not!!:lol:

19 years old is enough of a profile to know that you are inexperienced.:rolleyes::lol:

A few pointers.

Henderson, you're talking like those stock brokers and whatnot go there for free. They did not. I personally know folks in finance (actually it's surprising that I didn't go into it at all) and they worked really hard to get to where they are now. The process of getting to where they are is much harder than the process of becoming a teacher, unfortunately. In terms of current qualifications, it's a lot harder to make it in Wall Street than it is to make it as a teacher.
Working harder is not really what your salary is judged by. There are a few categories but the following seems to be true:
- How rare your skill is.
- How much responsibility you bear.
Rarity of skill is usually directly related to the length of the training process.
As for your uncle, I have no doubt that he worked his butt off to get to where he is now.

As for education, it is a matter important enough to scuttle several aircraft carriers if that's what it takes to make the thing work.

So, how bout that budget? :roll:

By the way, I know my uncle works. But he doesn't work as hard as the teacher in the ghetto middle school dealing with smart ass kids who don't even want to be there, let alone listen to an authority figure.

Teaching is the ULTIMATE responsibility. Right up there with doctors. (But not the only extremely responsible jobs)

Last edited:
Embedded....
So, how bout that budget? :roll:

By the way, I know my uncle works. But he doesn't work as hard as the teacher in the ghetto middle school dealing with smart ass kids who don't even want to be there, let alone listen to an authority figure.
Go back and read what I wrote.

Teaching is the ULTIMATE responsibility. Right up there with doctors. (But not the only extremely responsible jobs) Yep, but the requirements to become a teacher is pretty straight forward. You get a bachelor's degree (that's a lot of folks) then go to school to get a Masters in education (one year) and at least in the education process, the weeding out percentage isn't great. You should see what the attrition rate is for the new folks at places like Credit Suisse. You'll have a room with what fifty (the actual number eludes me) of some extremely bright folks... guys who were top guns at Ivy League and equivalent universities and by the end of the two year probational period, most are offered to stay on but it's not too uncommon to have maybe two, one or none to take up the offer and leave.
I'm actually a pretty good teacher, even without formal university training, but something like investment banker... I can't even pretend to do that.

Almost anyone can educate. It takes a special person to TEACH. What makes a teacher instead of an educator is being able to get kids to respond to you. To take something they think is boring, lame, dull, (insert terrible adjective here) and turn it into something they retain and actually like. I'm a music major (as Chukpike will remind you), I DESPISE math... But I love Algebra, because my Algebra teacher was probably the best teacher I've ever had. She made math interesting, genuinely cared about us as students, and took her own time to meet with me outside of class because I struggled. THAT is a good teacher. Not someone with their Ph.D in their field of study. I've met a lot of college professors who could "educate" someone, but couldn't "teach" someone to spell their own name.

It takes passion to become a teacher. It takes only discipline to become an educator/banker/stock broker/etc.

OMFG....
whatever it is you're smoking, stop.
I just can't wait until you get out of college. The disappointment and dissilusionment you'll feel will be gargantuan.

Never smoked anything in my life! :D

Look. Teachers are responsible for CREATING those bankers, stock brokers, blah blah blah. They're the very basis of the future.....

You're acting like this stuff is new.

rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric rhetoric

If you've read my other posts you'd know that I have put education as the #1 priority in any society.
Unfortunately the market doesn't agree with me.
And it's actually a lot easier to become a teacher, to hold that position, than it is to hold the position that many of these fat cats are holding. Do I agree with this? No I do not. But that's just how it is.
As for teacher and educator (the way you use the terminology anyway) the unfortunate truth is no one cares and certainly not enough to affect pay overall.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, it's two different types of work. But I'd wager one of those "fat cats" wouldn't last a week in a less fortunate public school system.

Yes, I HAVE read your other posts... And that's why it's kinda bothering me that you're playing Devil's Advocate on the one issue you and I ACTUALLY agree on. I should be having this argument with Chukpike, not you.

Back