President Reagan's (supposed) Quote Re The U.S. Marines...

gunnyg

About 1983, or 1985, depending upon what website you're viewing, President Reagan is credited w/the quote...
"Some people wonder if they've ever made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" (words to that effect)

Sure, RR said it, perhaps on more than one occasion, but he was not the original author of that "quote"--this saying was extant long before RR came upon the scene.

I have been searching for the original author for some time now to no avail.
The RR Library cannot even tell me when RR said it; and Peggy Noonan--RR's speechwriter doesn't remember this.

Would appreciate any further information available/or that becomes available on this.

My thanx!

Dick Gaines
Ref my site...
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/marinesquote.html

Hi Gunny.

I have tried to do some research on that quote, but I have found out the same things as you have.

I'm sure that Reagan said it once or twice, but I do not think he is the original author.
That's why I haven't written anything more about that quote on my site.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I have also heard that Reagan did write something about Chosin Reservoir, Korea (1950), and that he used that quote there.
I don't know when or what he did write..
But he may have quoted someone from then...

That's all I know.

Is there anyone else out there who can help us??

Redleg:

Thank you for your response--appreciated.

No, I was not aware that RR had written anything in reference to Marines at Chosin.

Peggy Noonan suggested I query William Saffire whose editorials appear in the NYT; I attempted to e-mail him there, and then sent a snail-mail, but received no response and neither the e-mail nor e-mail was returned.

I have no ideas as to who else to contact on this, as I have attempted to go to the source--both the RR Library, and his speechwriter--so unless someone sees my queries and/or website and has seen the information and contacts me. I'm afraid it's just a waiting game.

Again, my thanx.

Best
Dick Gaines

I'll keep my eyes and ears open and try to find some more info about that quote.
I'll let you know as soon as I find anything.

I can't actually find any proof that Reagan has written that quote somewhere. I was just told once that he may have used it when he wrote "something" about Chosin Reservoir.

The only place I can find that he has said anything about Chosin is in his First Inaugural speech (January 20, 1981).
But he did not say anything like that quote there...

Back