President Obama breaks another campaign promise

No I don't, that's just the point. I generally pay little mind to what a politician says regardless of his politicial stripes. If he breaks a promise or changes his mind that matters not. The only thing that matters to me is the results he gets.

I would much rather have a president who constantly breaks his promise or changes his mind but who gets it right, rather than one that remains steadfast to his word and the result ends in disaster.
So, how do you pick the candidate you intend to vote for? Since you know he is going to break every promise he makes, do you just vote for the one that looks coolest to you?

You didn't like the Bush administration because it was deceptive. But it is OK for President Obama to deceive his supporters! Cool:cool:

Well at least we got that straightened out.

Again, my question still stands. And I think you're ignoring it becaues you don't have an answer for it.
You're sticking to small technicalities and unimportant little points because you don't have an answer. If you look back, I was hardly a supporter of Obama at all and I had a lot of concerns about what kind of President he would be.
And if you also look back in terms of politics, I've not agreed a whole lot with either Henderson or Mmarsh. So you have some explaining or reflecting to do.
Either way, he's President of the United States for at least one term so if he's not the guy you voted for but he's doing the right thing anyway, you should feel relieved. The only other explanation is party loyalty, something I am not a very big fan of.

I have a question for you.
If you don't like what he promised and upon reflection he decided not to go ahead with his plan, or at least, proceed with a lot of caution, why are you so upset?
Never said I didn't like what he promised. I just knew he couldn't deliver. I am not upset at all. It is the people who voted for him and believed him that are upset.

Again, my question still stands. And I think you're ignoring it because you don't have an answer for it.
You're sticking to small technicalities and unimportant little points because you don't have an answer. If you look back, I was hardly a supporter of Obama at all and I had a lot of concerns about what kind of President he would be.
And if you also look back in terms of politics, I've not agreed a whole lot with either Henderson or Mmarsh. So you have some explaining or reflecting to do.
Either way, he's President of the United States for at least one term so if he's not the guy you voted for but he's doing the right thing anyway, you should feel relieved. The only other explanation is party loyalty, something I am not a very big fan of.

I voted for Hillary during the primary and McCain during the Presidential election. I felt either one of them were more truthful in their campaign promises of what they could accomplish.
Now I can sit back and laugh every time he breaks one of his "pie in the sky" promises and his supporters whine.

mmarsh believes that all campaign promises will be broken. I believe that politicians can keep their promises. If they don't make promises that can't keep, just to get elected. I heard all three speak in person. Obama was the least credible.

And so what? He seems to be doing a good enough job so far.
That's my point.
Why do you even care about the Obama supporters?

So, how do you pick the candidate you intend to vote for? Since you know he is going to break every promise he makes, do you just vote for the one that looks coolest to you?

You didn't like the Bush administration because it was deceptive. But it is OK for President Obama to deceive his supporters! Cool:cool:

Well at least we got that straightened out.

Where did I say I expect him to break every promise? What I said was I dont take politicans at their word, espicially not during the campaign season. And that goes for ALL the candidates. Or do you really that naive to think that McCain would be stupid enough to try revisit the abortion issue after promising to do just that. I expect politicans not keep their word on everything because I know its simply impossible for them to do so.

Breaking a promise doesnt mean your dishonest/deceitful unless you can prove that person knew he had no intention to keep his word when he made the promise. Unless you can prove that Obama intentionally lied, then the only other rational explaination is that Obama simply changed his mind.

An example of being decietful is manufacturing a case for a war based on evidence you know to be dubious, false, and cherry-picked and then claim that such evidence is accurate.

As you can see, its not quite the samething.

A moment of honesty here: I think what really bugs you is not only Obama's popularity, but as 13th Redneck said, that fact he has been doing a fairly good job despite the situation he was given.

Where did I say I expect him to break every promise? What I said was I dont take politicians at their word, especially not during the campaign season. And that goes for ALL the candidates.
Right here.
I dint care if Obama doesn't keep his campaign promise, as I said all campaign promises get broken sooner or later.

Breaking a promise doesn't mean your dishonest/deceitful unless you can prove that person knew he had no intention to keep his word when he made the promise. Unless you can prove that Obama intentionally lied, then the only other rational explanation is that Obama simply changed his mind.
Breaking a promise does indicate dishonesty and deceitfulness. Not up to me to prove anything, he is having to defend his position. It is up to his supporters to stick with him or whine. At least you are sticking with him. You were smart enough to know he would break his promises.

I am enjoying the spin some people are trying to put on this.

A moment of honesty here: I think what really bugs you is not only Obama's popularity, but as 13th Redneck said, that fact he has been doing a fairly good job despite the situation he was given.

Not sure why you think I'm bugged? President Obama is following the path I expected.
He hasn't been President long enough to judge how well he is doing or not.
He may well be able to do a good job in the long run if his supporters give him a chance. But the press that adored him and those who supported him aren't giving him any room. Some of his instruments seem to be falling off the bandwagon.

Chukpike

Ok, a poor choice of word on my part. Some promises he will obviously he will keep, and others he cant or wont. The point remains the same however, which is that a president should be actions and the results he gets, not on the words he says. And more to the point why are we only judging Obama on this?

Remember Bush Sr "Read my Lips". I dont think he was decietful, I think he made a promise that he later realized that he couldnt deliever. It doesnt mean that he purposely lied about it.

Chukpike, you have never had to break a promise or go back on your word? Even accidentally? Ever promise something only to realise later that its impossible, impractical or that you simply changed your mind. Would you call yourself decietful for doing so or would you simply say you made a mistake?

As I said, being Decietful is only when you intentionally hold something back. If Obama made his promise knowing full well in 8 months he would break it, then I feel slightly more sympathic (although again, I judge by results obtained above all).

Chukpike
Ok, a poor choice of word on my part. Some promises he will obviously he will keep, and others he cant or wont. The point remains the same however, which is that a president should be actions and the results he gets, not on the words he says. And more to the point why are we only judging Obama on this?

The can't promises are only deceitful if he knew when he made them he couldn't keep.
The won't promises are deceitful period. (Never made an attempt to keep them).

"And more to the point why are we only judging Obama on this?"
1. It's the topic of this thread.
2. He is the President now.

Bringing up any other politician or person is fluff to steer the discussion away from the topic. More importantly it is irrelevant to the topic. Does not even count as spin.

Little GW cheated on his tests so it should be OK for Little Obama.

By the time we are old enough to vote we should be past that.

Last edited:
I have another basic question...

Chukpike, would you rather him stick to his word and turn this country in the wrong direction, or have him break every promise, and steer America in the right way?

I have another basic question...

Chukpike, would you rather him stick to his word and turn this country in the wrong direction, or have him break every promise, and steer America in the right way?

So you think Obama, keeping his campaign promises, would steer the country in the wrong direction? Why did you vote for him?

Don't try and twist my question. Simply answer it.

Would you rather have ANY PRESIDENT keep their campaign promises and have it affect the country negatively, or have a president willing to revise his or her position for the good of the nation?

And it comes back to my previous point.

If you didn't like him while he ran because of what he promised and he reconsidered and ended up not doing many of those things after he took office, what's the problem?
Mmarsh made it pretty clear that Presidents, regardless of which party they came from, have broken key campaign promises.
Remember you're getting this one from a guy who wasn't so excited about Obama while he ran. I think the fact that the President hasn't gone full speed ahead with policies that could have led to disaster is a good thing.
And like I said, we're off to a good start but there's still a lot of time left for him to keep up the good work.

Back