President Obama blocks release of prison abuse photos

I'm glad a Barack Obama hating website approves... *rolls eyes*

The reason Obama didn't release the photos is probably because he felt that the releasing of the memos was honest enough. He didn't have to prove anything further to the world.

I'm glad a Barack Obama hating website approves... *rolls eyes*

The reason Obama didn't release the photos is probably because he felt that the releasing of the memos was honest enough. He didn't have to prove anything further to the world.

Does the president have the obligation to prove anything to the world???? I'd say otherwise.

Seems Obama has made the right decision. Here is a great analysis provided why it was the right move:
http://www.thebarackobamawatch.com/TERRORISM.html
It seems hilarious to me that this slimy "Hate Obama" site was forced to say anything good about the President.

The President was correct when he 'first' said he would release the pics - theoretically it WAS the correct thing to do to ensure a transparent American government ... however ... upon further reflection and based upon talks with military and other experts, Obama came to the conclusion that there are other considerations that must be taken into account. The memos are good enough to ensure transparency ... the pictures would hand too much ammunition to terrorist groups and other groups inimical to our country and our way of life - the propaganda value to our enemies was just too great.

There is a difference between the talks of an election and the reality of serving as President of the United States .. and .. Obama is man enough to realize it and change his mind.

Does the president have the obligation to prove anything to the world???? I'd say otherwise.
Uhm, when a President can hide things from ANYONE (including his OWN PEOPLE) there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the picture. Yes, the President has EVERYTHING to prove to the world.

Uhm, when a President can hide things from ANYONE (including his OWN PEOPLE) there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the picture. Yes, the President has EVERYTHING to prove to the world.
W R O N G !
The President doesn't have anything to prove to anyone other than the fact he can do the job as President of the United States.

As far as the rest of the world, neither the President nor the people of America, have to prove anything as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

The President is not above scrutiny. EVER.

Maybe not the rest of the world, but the President IS accountable to the people of the United States.

W R O N G !
The President doesn't have anything to prove to anyone other than the fact he can do the job as President of the United States.

As far as the rest of the world, neither the President nor the people of America, have to prove anything as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

I thought so...thanks for clearing that up Chief...:thumb:

W R O N G !

If we want to be seen as a world leader, however, and not just the bully next door, we DO need to prove things to the world.

The President is not above scrutiny. EVER.

Maybe not the rest of the world, but the President IS accountable to the people of the United States.
The American people ARE THE ONLY ones he IS accountable to ... the rest of the world are owed NOTHING ... not even an apology for deeds other people have carried out - Obama is NOT accountable for other's actions that took place on someone else's dime and neither are we.

I am tired of seeing a minuscule number of people (idiots one and all as far as I am concerned), demand that ALL Americans apologize for things that were carried out by GW Bush and his administration. The ONLY apology to the rest of the world that was legitimate, was carried out by the voters when the GOP and GW Bush sycophants were booted out of office.

As far as being a bully, we were NOT the ones who took down the twin towers, we were NOT the ones who have resorted to suicide bombs, we were NOT the ones who have decided to resort to terrorist tactics against civilian centers and population centers. THAT is what I would consider being a bully ... striking at those who are unable to protect themselves ... THAT IS THE MARK OF A BULLY.

Last edited:
W R O N G !

I think that most of the non US free world would heartily disagree with you on that one.

It possibly/probably would have been the case had the US not been caught out using the type of tactics we all take such joy in attributing to the "bad guys'.

Now the only way America is going to gain a little credulity again is to be seen to come clean on their stuff ups.

I think that most of the non US free world would heartily disagree with you on that one.

It possibly/probably would have been the case had the US not been caught out using the type of tactics we all take such joy in attributing to the "bad guys'.

Now the only way America is going to gain a little credulity again is to be seen to come clean on their stuff ups.

Why is it that the USA has to be proving itself again and time again????? It's ironic, how the world expects proof of every action taken....and also why do we have to set credibility.. explain to me something??,....why is it that when a tragedy arises, the US is expected to help...immediately....and without explanation???

Last edited:
It's very simple, and seen all about us every day. One only has to prove themselves, if they are caught out deliberately doing the wrong thing in the first place. It is an expectation of all miscreants.

Secondly, the US is not the only country in the world that gives in time of tragedy. I think that you will find that even Australia gives more, as a percent of our GDP than the US. This charity is only a reasonable expectation of any "civilised' country.

Remember,... we are supposed to be showing the world that we are "the good guys". It's the height of hypocrisy that we should chastise other countries for their misdeeds when we cannot demonstrate that we are any better.

Last edited:
Chief Bones said:
The American people ARE THE ONLY ones he IS accountable to ... the rest of the world are owed NOTHING ... not even an apology for deeds other people have carried out - Obama is NOT accountable for other's actions that took place on someone else's dime and neither are we.
You're right Chief. But he IS accountable for the American people and the American image. As the premiere diplomat for the USA, he should do some damage control, seeing as GWB DESTROYED our image. See, as the leaders of the free world, America is expected to be a beacon and a model to other nations around the world... And if our leader (even a former leader) is caught red-handed, it would be the right thing to do to apologize for it. It's a matter of courtesy and respect. Acknowledging that we are NOT perfect, but we will admit when we are wrong.
Chief Bones said:
I am tired of seeing a minuscule number of people (idiots one and all as far as I am concerned), demand that ALL Americans apologize for things that were carried out by GW Bush and his administration. The ONLY apology to the rest of the world that was legitimate, was carried out by the voters when the GOP and GW Bush sycophants were booted out of office.
I agree with you there... The apology, if not coming from GWB himself, isn't necessary.
Chief Bones said:
As far as being a bully, we were NOT the ones who took down the twin towers, we were NOT the ones who have resorted to suicide bombs, we were NOT the ones who have decided to resort to terrorist tactics against civilian centers and population centers. THAT is what I would consider being a bully ... striking at those who are unable to protect themselves ... THAT IS THE MARK OF A BULLY.
You got it right there...

Good post Spike.

Rob, I don't completely disagree with you ... however ...

The President is NOT accountable FOR the American people .. he is accountable TO the American people.

As far as the rest of the world, he is responsible and accountable to the rest of the world ONLY to the extent that he is responsible for those items he personally okays.

SORRY ... I am NOT my brother's keeper .. nor do I expect my President to be an apologist for actions that he DIDN'T personally condone on his OWN watch. In no way, is he responsible or accountable for things that took place on GW's watch. As far as image ... making memos etc available, does more to heal our image than all of the apologies in the world ... action speaks louder than words.

If there were to be an apology, it should come from the previous President (GW Bush), his sycophants and from those leaders who completely and publicly supported the President's actions, decisions and policies. As far as I am concerned, the majority of the American public made their views known, when they voted the most obvious supporters out of office. It was a complete repudiation of GW's entire Presidency - and a condemnation of his Presidency and his administration.

SORRY - I just don't think that Obama needs to apologize for decisions or policies he didn't carry out or put into action personally.

I dunno where this thread went off the tracks, but no one has suggested that President Obama has to apologise to anyone. No blame is being laid at his feet

What is being said is that he should help clear the name of the US in the eyes of the world by allowing everything to come out regarding abuses carried out in the past. Thereby sending a clear message to the world that there has been a change of management and that past problems are going to be dealt with and the US will move on.

senojekips said:
I dunno where this thread went off the tracks, but no one has suggested that President Obama has to apologise to anyone. No blame is being laid at his feet

What is being said is that he should help clear the name of the US in the eyes of the world by allowing everything to come out regarding abuses carried out in the past. Thereby sending a clear message to the world that there has been a change of management and that past problems are going to be dealt with and the US will move on.
Seno .. evidently you and I read the posts in this thread differently. I read the thread and the reference, as saying the President owed the world MORE than just the memos ... he owed the world an apology for things that were NOT done on his watch.

Just what do you think that sky meant with the following:

This taken with Rob's comments, indicate to me that I was correct with my responses. Others OBVIOUSLY believe that President Obama owes the world something. I DON'T.....

Guess you and I are going to have to agree to disagree .........

Last edited:
The incident itself and the memos do the job enough.
But something tells me somehow those photos will be released anyway, they always do. In that sense of things, it's better that the US government is the source that releases the photos, not some journalist with an "unnamed source" inside the government.
The photos would give ammo to our enemies but you get what you pay for.
I'm no sympathizer of any of these terrorist organizations and whatnot... typically they're very much like gangs and mafias (though even more dangerous since they often adopt a religious element).
But I think the consequence of the photos being released by another source would be absolutely disastrous.

On that note, what idiot took the photos in the first place?

I don't think the current US president owes the world anything but this may be the only way to protect America in the long run: the message that in America these things will not stay hidden and anyone engaging in them will be kissing their livlihoods goodbye.
Believe me, I don't like this any more than you do.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself, but nowhere did I indicate that President Obama owed anything to the world,.... But I did imply that he, as the highest official in the land, owes it to those who put him in power and to the world in general, to demonstrate that the US is now under a different management regime.

The way to do that is to show that the present policy is based on openness and honesty. A US Perestroika if you will.

The way I see it, is that this is all to his credit, but if only seen to be done in half measures, there will always be doubt as to whether justice was truly done.

Last edited:
The incident itself and the memos do the job enough.

This sounds too reasonable.

Much better to sensationalize it with pictures. Hopefully they will have videos as that will show better on TV. Unfortunately it may not have enough gore to hold an audience.

If the admission of wrong doing with pictures can convince everyone we are doing better now, then we won't have to prosecute anyone. It may be a win win for everyone.

Back