(President) Bush says Iran a 'real threat'

phoenix80

Banned
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush on Wednesday called Iran a "real threat" and lashed out at President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad over the country's nuclear program and calls for the destruction of Israel.

"Iran's a real threat," Bush told Fox News in an interview in which he repeated his charge that Iran was part of an "axis of evil" along with North Korea and prewar Iraq. "I called it part of the 'axis of evil' for a reason," Bush said.

"I'm concerned about a theocracy that has got little transparency, a country whose president has declared the destruction of Israel as part of their foreign policy, and a country that will not listen to the demands of the free world to get rid of its ambitions to have a nuclear weapon," Bush said in the interview.

Ahmadinejad, a former Revolutionary Guardsman who was elected president in June, said Israel must be "wiped off the map" in October, provoking a diplomatic storm and stoking fears about Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Earlier on Wednesday, Ahmadinejad triggered another wave of international condemnation when he declared the Holocaust, in which 6 million Jews were killed by the Nazis, a myth.

Washington accuses Tehran of seeking nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear program is only for generating electricity.

In dealing with Iran, Bush said he continued "to work the diplomatic front," but that his objective was to "end tyranny."
To Iran's leaders, Bush said, "I would hope they'd be wise enough to begin to listen to the people and allow the people to participate in their government."

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-12-15T012626Z_01_SPI505073_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAN-BUSH.xml

All men of good will should pray for peace, and a real revolution in Iran to expel the theocrats.

Unfortunately, I'm pessimistic enough to believe that direct military action will be needed, and relatively soon.

One again we see proof that Bush picked the wrong country to attack in his "axis of evil" speech. Unfortuntely he has so burned his bridges due to Iraq war fiasco, that his crediability is less than zero in the rest of the world.

On the other hand, Ahmedinejad seems to be helping Bush rebuild his image as the world's "good guy" by playing the "Islamic fundimentalist bad guy" role to the hilt. For a person who relished his hatred of the US, he seems to being quiet a good job helping Bush, espically in Europe.

mmarsh said:
On the other hand, Ahmedinejad seems to be helping Bush rebuild his image as the world's "good guy" by playing the "Islamic fundimentalist bad guy" role to the hilt. For a person who relished his hatred of the US, he seems to being quiet a good job helping Bush, espically in Europe.

indeed...

i dont like Bush at all... but damn i have to agree about removing that lunatic from the chain of command... :/

mmarsh said:
One again we see proof that Bush picked the wrong country to attack in his "axis of evil" speech. Unfortuntely he has so burned his bridges due to Iraq war fiasco, that his crediability is less than zero in the rest of the world.

Unfortuntely he has so burned his bridges due to Iraq war fiasco

LoL! May be in your book, it is a fiasco.

Btw, Iraq was a good start in the middle east to spread the democracy!

I still doubt that the US govt wants to solve the Iranian problem militarily

They have to support democratic forces inside of Iran and then they are able to bring down the Mullahs faster than you imagine

phoenix80 said:
I still doubt that the US govt wants to solve the Iranian problem militarily

They have to support democratic forces inside of Iran and then they are able to bring down the Mullahs faster than you imagine

Agreed. Iran is a whole `nother bucket of worms. There are people and organizations that could solve the Iranian problem within. There was never a plan to attack Iran. Iraq, different scenario, the military was a threat to any efforts of the West in bringing an end to bloody religious wars and the possibility that a madman would use chemical or nuclear force against us and Israel.

Back