A present for you guys...

MXspy

A picture of the new Mexican Assault Rifle, FX-05 '' Xiuhcoatl'' Fire Serpent.

fx05kp0.jpg

Ahhhh... Finally a good view of Mexico's new rifle.

It seems to be a H&K G36 design. Some of the ideas from the ill-fated XM-8 rifle also make an appearance in the FX-05 rifle.

I have only one issue with it. It doesn't use NATO-STANAG magazines.

Yup, H&K G36K with a new body.

I get to shot one in two weeks. FDLE just got their hands on three of them for testing. Man, I love having connections with Senior Firearm Instructors.

I can't tell from the pic, and I can see the integrated optics, but I don't see any flip-up or back-up sights. 556, do you know if there are any?

Well, from what I have seen of the rifle. It appears that when it has it's optical sight system it doesn't have back-up iron sights. The rifle does have iron sights but they're removable.

Its the biggest thing right now in the arms market. Make a rifle with no factory sight. Rail only. Sig Sauer, S&W, Bushmaster, FN Herstal, Heckler & Koch. They're all doign it.

I'll stick with the system i have now. Permanent front sight, lip up rear sight, Eo-tech reflex sight.

My Eco-tech is the main sight on my rifle. Well built, tough as nails, and really makes it easy to engage a target. But it can run out of battery power or simply break. So I still have the factory front sight still on my AR-15 and I have a flip up rear sight.

6c1cbb27.jpg

I think this is the best rifle ever built. Beats all of those new age plastic rifles like the H&K G36 or British L85 Bull-pup.

Only thing that is better than what I have now is the M1 Garand.

Well, the FX-05s came in today (early) and I took one of them apart and then fired two magazines worth of ammunition.

It's a G36 with a new body.

I will give you the good and the bad.

Good:
Light Weight
Smooth trigger. No creep what so ever.
Balanced

Bad:
Magazines
Magazine release
forgrip

The magazines felt really cheap and fragile. I feel that they're not soldier proof. To insert the magazine you need to rock them in like the Ak-47/Mini-14/M-14 rifle. You just don't insert the magazine straight in like a Ar-15 or the FN2000. The magazine release is the same think. You need to rock the magazine out. I just feel that you can you quicker magazine exchanges with an AR-15.

The handguards are crap. You hand will heat up very quickly. The H&K G36 had the same issue when it first hit the field with the West German Army. That issue could be solved by putting in a metal insert within the hand guard. That is how the H&K G36 problem was fixed. Once again, another issue that the AR-15 never suffered from. They come with metal panels within the hand guard.

Other than that the rifle was well built expect for all of that plastic crap. But alas, that is just opinion. because when GLOCKs hit the market 20 odd years ago folks thought the samething about them too. That plastic is crap for firearms. And I am a GLOCK Fanatic. It was accurate and well balanced. I was able to easily shoot MOA at 100 yards off hand. i think that my neighbors to the south will have a good battle rifle if they improve those damn plastic magazine and the heat guard.

GLOCK has that issue with their magazines. Just put steel inserts in them and make them a little tougher.

Not a fan of the folding stock. Looks like a nice peice of kit though, but all my time in mexico I've never seen one, I work right next to an army base and see them all the time.

Back