Prehistoric Warfare

Recent DNA analysis suggests that some 500, 000 years ago our homo erectus ancestors were reduced in number to perhaps only a thousand individuals. David Woodruff, senior biologist on the team believes that genocide is the most likely cause:

Interesting, however those thousand individuals could be well suited to the environment and have resources in plenty. Shades of 2001?

I wonder if Modern man and Neanderthals fought, and by what tactics?

I think prehistoric hominides always fought and sapiens sapiens (we) defeated the rest.

There was a firt migration by sapiens sapiens that was defeat by sapiens neandarthalensis in the Middle East (Shea 2003 - Neandertals, competion and the origin of modern human behavior in the Levant).

A second one was a sucess and Iberia was one of the last strongholds for sapiens neanderthalensis, in the competition between them and we, I think, some form of war existed (I'll put info in the blog).

For general prehistoric tactics we have the spanish Rock Art of the Levant with: flanking attacks in battle, fire support, use of reserves,... From todays tribal societies (I think we can make the parallel) we have Raids, Massacres (with bionthropological evidence from Prehistory Archaeology, mass burial with signs of violente death) and Battles (In the blog I'll translate from the portuguese).

Back