Predator Upgrades.

Missileer

Friday, there was a Predator set up on our site for a show and tell. Raytheon had shipped the 100th FLIR system for it and this was a celebration I guess. Anyhow, I was surprised when the presenter told us that the present payload is being increased.

PAYLOAD
The surveillance and reconnaissance payload capacity is 450lb and the vehicle carries electro-optical and infrared cameras and a synthetic aperture radar. The two-colour DLTV television is equipped with a variable zoom and 955mm Spotter. The high resolution FLIR has six fields of view, 19mm to 560mm.

The Raytheon Multi-Spectral Targeting System (MTS) is fitted on the MQ-1 Predator. The MTS provides real-time imagery selectable between infrared and day TV as well as a laser designation capability. MQ-1 can employ two laser-guided Hellfire anti-armour missiles with the MTS.

The Northrop Grumman TESAR synthetic aperture radar which provides all-weather surveillance capability, has a resolution of 1ft. Other payload options, which can be selected to meet mission requirements, include a laser designator and rangefinder, electronic support and countermeasures and a moving target indicator (MTI).

The Predator B has an operational ceiling of 50,000ft and a maximum internal payload of 800lb and external payload of over 3,000lb. Predator B has been flight tested with Hellfire II anti-armour missiles and can carry up to 14 missiles. Flight trials have also taken place with the General Atomics Lynx SAR (synthetic aperture radar) payload. Lynx also features ground moving target indicator technology. The USAF has also ordered two versions of Predator B with turbofan jet engines. The Predator is to be flight tested with a L-3 Communications Tactical Common Datalink (TCDL). In August 2004, Predator B successfully dropped a Paveway II (GBU-12) laser-guided bomb on a stationary ground target.

A version of Predator B, called Warrior, is one of two systems chosen for the System Capability Demonstration (SCD) phase of the US Army's Extended Range / Multi-Purpose (ER/MP) program. One system will be chosen for the System Development and Demonstration (SDD) in mid-2005.

The Italian Air Force bought 15 of the newer models, it won't be long and all NATO countries will be able to fight a foreign war while staying home. Probably use some 8 year old computer nerds to defeat an entire country.

For ground war, give it about 150 years.

Yea, and I read a story a while back about how the Marines or Army (can't remember which right now) were using slightly modified PS2 controllers for some of their UAVs.

Yea, and I read a story a while back about how the Marines or Army (can't remember which right now) were using slightly modified PS2 controllers for some of their UAVs.

Interesting, source please?

It’s all good till some one starts electric counter measures. I saw on the discovery channel that if your out side the cockpit of the EA-6B Prowler when it turns on its counter measure systems it could kill you. For every new thing we invent some one will find a way around it. You will always need some one on the ground. Now what tools that man has at his disposal are endless. In 50years we could be in powered suites like star ship troopers. (book)

But for right now the predator is one bad ass bird.

Missileer said:
Friday, there was a Predator set up on our site for a show and tell. Raytheon had shipped the 100th FLIR system for it and this was a celebration I guess. Anyhow, I was surprised when the presenter told us that the present payload is being increased.

PAYLOAD
The surveillance and reconnaissance payload capacity is 450lb and the vehicle carries electro-optical and infrared cameras and a synthetic aperture radar. The two-colour DLTV television is equipped with a variable zoom and 955mm Spotter. The high resolution FLIR has six fields of view, 19mm to 560mm.

The Raytheon Multi-Spectral Targeting System (MTS) is fitted on the MQ-1 Predator. The MTS provides real-time imagery selectable between infrared and day TV as well as a laser designation capability. MQ-1 can employ two laser-guided Hellfire anti-armour missiles with the MTS.

The Northrop Grumman TESAR synthetic aperture radar which provides all-weather surveillance capability, has a resolution of 1ft. Other payload options, which can be selected to meet mission requirements, include a laser designator and rangefinder, electronic support and countermeasures and a moving target indicator (MTI).

The Predator B has an operational ceiling of 50,000ft and a maximum internal payload of 800lb and external payload of over 3,000lb. Predator B has been flight tested with Hellfire II anti-armour missiles and can carry up to 14 missiles. Flight trials have also taken place with the General Atomics Lynx SAR (synthetic aperture radar) payload. Lynx also features ground moving target indicator technology. The USAF has also ordered two versions of Predator B with turbofan jet engines. The Predator is to be flight tested with a L-3 Communications Tactical Common Datalink (TCDL). In August 2004, Predator B successfully dropped a Paveway II (GBU-12) laser-guided bomb on a stationary ground target.

A version of Predator B, called Warrior, is one of two systems chosen for the System Capability Demonstration (SCD) phase of the US Army's Extended Range / Multi-Purpose (ER/MP) program. One system will be chosen for the System Development and Demonstration (SDD) in mid-2005.
Interesting. :)

Back