Pot legal in Virginia?

wolfen

feast your eyes everybody, as the commonwealth of Virginia tries to slap the face of every one of us who EVER had ANYTHING at all to do with drug interdiction and/or the drug war.

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-lower-pot-charges,0,6919275.story

I put in my 3 cents on the news site and said "......let me know how that works for you when a stoned person runs a red light and kills your wife and child"

Sorry if I offend anybody but I'll be dammed if I let this one go,This just proves my other thread about losing my faith in humanity.

Why what did Maryland do now?
They get a governor that does coke or just that old mayor of DC they had?

Good morning Wolfen Sir (and good morning everybody)

not only you did not offend anybody... you wrote (as we say in Italy) "sacred words" !! That's just the truth.

Also in Italy there are many members of Parliament who have been trying for years to pass a law to make "light drugs" (hashish, marijuana, as they call them...) legal in certain spaces ... sort of things going on in Holland with the so-called coffee shops (that don't sell coffee, of course).

There's too much confusion about this issue.
Somebody say that this kind of laws will get rid of all drug dealers and their illegal profits... WRONG: there will always be something illegal to produce and sell.
Some other confuse the fact that substances extracted from marijuana are used in Medicine for the Therapy of Pain in terminal phases of cancer. Now, I'd like to ask to those italian MP's: what the F*** a dying patient has got to do with a 13-year-old boy who wants to try "new experiences and expand his mind" ?

We can go on for so long but, Wolfen Sir, the first thing to say is exactly what you said: "......let me know how that works for you when a stoned person runs a red light and kills your wife and child". I agree with you not one hundred percent, but one thousand!

The second thing is (Wolfen Sir, allow me): "Never lose the faith in humanity". "Humanity" is you, is me and everybody who cares for the other people...

I just don't need to see my child stoned because there's a law permitting to smoke the pot... What I can do, what we can do, is educate our children, talking to our friends and everbody, never shut up when we see something wrong... and this law is wrong.

I don't know what we can reach talking and behaving good... I think our clean conscience is, just to start, the best reward. Maybe, somebody will listen to us: the whole world needs those words that nobody says.
Only this way somebody will realise there is Humanity... and there will be.

It's up to us... I just don't sit and let the things pass by.

Wolfen Sir, it's always a pleasure reading your posts and hearing from you.

Ciao Everybody from Italy
Alex

The second thing is (Wolfen Sir, allow me): "Never lose the faith in humanity". "Humanity" is you, is me and everybody who cares for the other people...

I just don't need to see my child stoned because there's a law permitting to smoke the pot... What I can do, what we can do, is educate our children, talking to our friends and everbody, never shut up when we see something wrong... and this law is wrong.

Seems to me that you already lost faith in humanity. Why else do you assume that, when you legalize softdrugs, everybody will start using it? Do you really think that your child will start using as soon as it is legalized? Everybody can make that choice for himself. I don't use it even though buying it is as easy as buying groceries.

Wolfen said:
I put in my 3 cents on the news site and said "......let me know how that works for you when a stoned person runs a red light and kills your wife and c

Now what kind of argument is this?? I would be very upset when somebody would run a red light and kill my girl-friend because he is on the phone. So should we ban all mobile phones? Besides why don't you write a piece on outlawing alcohol? I'll bet more people get killed by DUI's and plain carelessness while driving than any other reason.
In short: just because someone might kill someone while under the influence is hardly a reason for keeping it illegal!

In short: just because someone might kill someone while under the influence is hardly a reason for keeping it illegal!
Yeah,... Dammit,.. why don't we just throw all the laws out the window. Think how much we would save on paying a police force, lawyers and judges. All the time and effort it takes,....

Ted, your amazing "logic" would seem to indicate that you've destroyed too many brain cells already. I think that as an anti social and habit forming drug that destroys inhibitions and peoples objectivity, it needs to stay banned.

Living with drunks in the community is bad enough, but I don't see why we should use that as an excuse to have to put up with lying conniving dopeheads as well. Tell me all about it,... I've had to live with them and deal with them for over 30 years and I do know what they are like.

Living with drunks in the community is bad enough, but I don't see why we should use that as an excuse to have to put up with lying conniving dopeheads as well. Tell me all about it,... I've had to live with them and deal with them for over 30 years and I do know what they are like.

And all this time the dope was illegal... Imagine that. So we can safely assume that we can place some questions on how to approach this problem. I think this whole discussion is totally polarized. Either you have never smoked/inhaled then you are good or you have and then your opinion is tainted and not worth listening to because you have no brain cells left.

If a substance is "anti social and habit forming" then you have to ban it, right? But why the disparity between something you smoke and something you drink. At leas cannabis doesn't give you liver sclerosis, cause of death #1 in France and many other countries.

And my last point is, if you want to ban it do it on good grounds and not somebodies bad experience. I hear so many "I knew someone...." or "what if he...." I just like my laws to be clear and clean, based on sound reason or research and not some urban-legend kind of fear.

p.s. What did you think of my example of driving with a cell phone and running a light? I rather liked that one :)

Last edited:
We got light drugs (Maria et al) legal here for personal use in Spain, and so far I havent seen any probs with this sensible approach: Nt as liberal as Holland, but along sensible interpretation of personal liberties (you commit a crime only when trafficking or using in front of minors).

From my POV, keeping personal use illegal just drives the price up (and the profit our corrupt politicians are making of their commissions when letting traffic pass: Remember Spanish SecDef Federico Trillo caught with a truck of Maria?: "Oh, that was for the goats, didnt´know it was drugs!"... yeah, that is why the truck was guarded by a platooon of Marines.... :). Of cause, he remained SecDef for another 5 yrs, and after his time, coming from a humble background, was a millionaire with a cooling house just for all his wife´s fur coats... :) ).

The guys that win with illegalization are the mafias, same as it was with the prohibition in the ´20s in the US that just served the state governors and Al Capone for becoming millionaires....

Let them users smoke and ruin their brain all they want, is my take, like I am ruining my lungs by smoking and my liver by drinking (and a stoned guy hardly will run over anybody - as they go sooooo slow with their time perception stretched - , whereas a drunk has a much better probability because of lack of reflexes and tunnel view, facts of life...)

Rattler

And all this time the dope was illegal... Imagine that. So we can safely assume that we can place some questions on how to approach this problem. I think this whole discussion is totally polarized. Either you have never smoked/inhaled then you are good or you have and then your opinion is tainted and not worth listening to because you have no brain cells left.
I have never smoked or partaken of any illegal non prescription drug, and my alcohol consumption is less than 10 oz per annum, I have learnt the hard way having watched many friends and acquaintances ruin their lives and the lives of those about them. For me, life is a blast, I don't need drugs to enable me to get through it from day to day, I can deal with reality, I see it as part of being a responsible member of society.

If a substance is "anti social and habit forming" then you have to ban it, right? But why the disparity between something you smoke and something you drink. At leas cannabis doesn't give you liver sclerosis, cause of death #1 in France and many other countries.
I never said a thing about other drugs. This thread relates to the usage of marijuana. This line of debate reminds me of children when told they cannot do something or have something, "But all the other kids are allowed to", both you and I know that it is exactly that, a childish argument with no validity.

And my last point is, if you want to ban it do it on good grounds and not somebodies bad experience. I hear so many "I knew someone...." or "what if he...." I just like my laws to be clear and clean, based on sound reason or research and not some urban-legend kind of fear.
Social irresponsibility is not an "urban myth" and is the backbone of the framing of virtually all laws.

p.s. What did you think of my example of driving with a cell phone and running a light? I rather liked that one :)
And exactly where did I say anything about mobile phones. I neither own one own one nor desire one, although my wife has one in her handbag. It is always turned off and is only used in emergency. In Australia, it is illegal to use a phone whilst driving a motor vehicle, whether hands free or not.

Last edited:
Seems to me that you already lost faith in humanity. Why else do you assume that, when you legalize softdrugs, everybody will start using it? Do you really think that your child will start using as soon as it is legalized? Everybody can make that choice for himself. I don't use it even though buying it is as easy as buying groceries.

Now what kind of argument is this?? I would be very upset when somebody would run a red light and kill my girl-friend because he is on the phone. So should we ban all mobile phones? Besides why don't you write a piece on outlawing alcohol? I'll bet more people get killed by DUI's and plain carelessness while driving than any other reason.

Well for one there's a whole bunch of people that don;t do drugs cause their not legal, make them legal, more and more people will be driving around stoned out of their minds and that will cause MORE traffic accidents.

ALSO driving and talking on a phone should NOT be legal in ANY state unless a hands free device is used, I'm scared to death half teh time to stop at a red light when I see someone behind me with hands flailing around paying more attention to their phone that the other cars on the road.

Hey hears an idea lets get a person stoned AND on the phone at the same time:), yea while were at it give em a Ford Excursion and put everybody else in a smart car, wake up Ted, pot is NOT a carefree recreation drug, none of em are

Back