Possiblity of a total nuke war during the cold war

Australia would have been the least hurt by a nuclear exchange (assuming that they were never targetted). South America and Africa would also have remained at least survivable and relatively intact. I would guess that makes them the winners, doesn't it?

Nuclear winter would have killed off everyone not directly targetted not to mention the shear volume of fallout. There would have been low grade radiation poisoning causing a shortened life-span due to an increased incidence of cancer. Not a pleasant sort of "win".

Every time it rained, which is often in South and Central America, the lighter radioactive dust would be literally washed from the atmosphere to the Earth and accumulate. Death from cumulative radiation poisoning would be slow but sure. Think of your body retaining heavy metal oxides until your internal organs died from toxic shock. There will be no hiding places.

I realize what both of you are saying, but I think that the remnants of mankind would have found a way to survive in such a world. Lets remember, we actually know the science of nuclear fallout and nuclear winter, etc. Its not unrealistic that a small portion of humanity would manage to survive. Humanity did, afterall, survive the last Supervolcano eruption and that cataclysm would have proved to be extremely similar in its effects: Toxic atmosphere, minor ice age, etc.

Who cares about who would win. The nukes will detonate other nukes and them cause so much destruction that the world blows up or it would turn into a wasteland that noone could live. They would both be losers

Already discussed elsewhere

This very topic was discussed more or less elsewhere within the forums.

Subj: If the WW3 happens.

I placed a posting titled: Are you kidding? on December 8, 2005 @ 02:54 AM.

Short version of the post: Man would in all likelyhood become extinct after a prolonged period of great upheaval and the lowly Cockroach would inherit the Earth because they thrive on radiation that would kill man.

(For more info goto the other forum.)

Situation>1964.CCCP decided to shoot all Nuke missile.
Target>all city&base of US,UK,France,Chine and all important base of US in foreign.
1) it does not make sense. If so, as people wrote above and USA had a considerable superiority in nuclear warheads, strategic bomber aviation and ICBM's, the launch of nuclear missile from CCCP would be a exotic way of suicide. It was USA, which threatened CCCP with its nukes - it seems, that CCCP could answer generally with invasion of armored forces in Western Europe. Because Western Europe did not want to see Soviet tanks in their streets, they tended USA not to think seriously on `guaranteed destruction` of CCCP.
2) Why should CCCP bomb China? CCCP and China were allies in that time.

I doubt WWIII would go nuclear. I believe everyone on both sides of the block were smart enough not to.

I dunno... I believe that one of the first things that would have happened would have been the invasion of West Germany by the East.

Easy 8.......If a load of fanatics get hold of nuclear weapons do you think they would be worried about surviving when they can go to paradise. If they don't respect their own lives why should they respect any one else's lives

Actually I think survival is high on the list of priorities of leading fanatics after all bin Laden hasn't shown any desire to die for his cause despite all his rhetoric.

Their idea is not to wipe out every person on earth but to wipe out all other beliefs and cultures that do not obey Islam 100%.
I don't think they would go for a MAD.

The world was brought to the brink of nuclear war in 1983 when a number of events coincided, including the shooting down of the Korean Airline and the NATO exercise Able Archer that was interpreted by the KGB as cover for a real NATO attack and resulted in mobilisation of Soviet forces.

http://library.digiguide.com/lib/uk-tv-highlight/1983:+The+Brink+Of+Apocalypse-2260/Documentary/

However the most frightening moment was surely on September 26, 1983 when a warning system outside Moscow was triggered by satellite surveillance, indicating that the U.S. had launched a missile attack on Russia. The commander in charge Colonel Stanislav Petrov instead of alerting command headquarters, which may have set in motion a retaliatory nuclear exchange, retained his composure for an agonising time as alarms blared, trusting his judgement that the warning was a false alarm. In fact it was triggered by the reflection of sunlight from cirrus cloud at sunset over the US missile silos. We may all owe our lives to this man who was sacked for not obeying protocol.​

Last edited:
I doubt nuclear weapons would be used. I don't think anyone on ethier side was stupid enough to use them. If then the whole thing becomes MAD.

With some people its not about stupid or smart, its how bad they want to kill the other guy. Iran's leader (I refuse to call him their president) says he'd love to Erase Israel off the map, do you think he'd hesitate to use a nuke?

A nuclear exchange by USSR and USA would have been totally devastating to the entire planet, those who survive the initial exchange would die a painful death from radiation poisoning and suffocation from radiation dust and vapor.

I do believe though that USSR led USA in number is ICBMs and SLBMs also USSR had such a huge landmass that even though use of nukes would be devastating the USSR due it its enormous landmass which was like 5 times the size of the USA at the time would be able to absorb an attack better. Lets not forget that the USSR was leading the USA in the number of nuclear hardened underground bunkers it was operating, it was operating some of the most elaborate and extensive bunker systems ever built in under Moscow and other areas of the USSR.

Yes and the sad thing is that the survivors of any nuclear war would be **** roaches and politicians, ask yourself is that a world you really want to live in.

Also Iran is not suicidal, even if they built few nukes they know that if they use those nukes that they will bring upon themselves a very swift and devastating nuclear retaliation. Iran is not like the other countries of the Middle East lets remember that Iran hasn't attacked anyone in few hundred years, and that it has been the one that has been attacked. We can't say the same for nations like Israel, Russia and U.S. How can nations like U.S and Israel who have fought more wars in the last 50 years than Iran/Persia have fought in thousand years judge others as unreliable and gun ho.

Iran has never invaded any of its neighbors that is historical fact, and here we have a nation that has invaded, bombed or intervened uncalled for in so many nations Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Korea, Panama, Colombia, Nicaragua, Mexico, Cuba, Haiti, Somalia, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Serbia, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, and so many others across so many continents and who is the only nation to use nukes on other human beings saying Iran is warmongering, who gives them the moral authority and audacity? Arrogance is really something, this is laughable, its like Stalin accusing the Turks of genocide and mass murder.

Last edited:
Back