Is it Possible?

drunkentyger

I leave for Basic on 20041129. (Exactly 2 weeks)

Pullups & situps is no problem.

The running however is a disaster.
My IST had a 14 min 32 sec. (Entry is 13 min. 30 sec) <--- for 1.5 miles

Basically, I have to cut my entire time by more than a min.

Think its possible? Or am i screwed?

Tips & reccomendations are greatly accepted.

Yes it is possible. You have to work at it. If you are running at a comfortable pace now you need to kick it up.

drunkentyger said:
The running however is a disaster.
My IST had a 14 min 32 sec. (Entry is 13 min. 30 sec)

How far do you have to run??

If i need to shave time off quickly then what I do is lots and lots of sprinting

It improves you stamina and power...and also imporves your breathing and heart rate

so...depending on how far you need to run....13 mins I'd say about 3 miles...I would do a lap jogging round a 400m track...then 1 lap sprinting...rest...1 lap jogging....1 lap sprinting...rest....etc etc

It really helps me but different people prefer different methods...

Keep runnin, just push yourself more. If you run 1.5 comfortably try harder. Do some sprints in there, run part way sprint and run again. You need to be in the 18 min for 3 mile mark.

Work on your hip flexors (Australian throw-downs, flutter kicks, and the leg press will help some, too), they're usually the muscle that tires first when you run. If it's purely an endurance issue, just run your ass off. With only two weeks to go, you don't have time to mess around.

"Run Forest, Run", literally. It's all you can do to get fit now. Run as much as you can, everyday. If you push yourself daily you will get there. And stop smoking/drinking if you do, at least until you get in.

nothing is impossible.
you can do it!!! just get out thier and practice. dont over do it tho, we dont want you to hurt yourself.

out of curiosity, what are the number of stuff you have to do:
the stuff for the ADF PFA (personal fitness assesment) is:
push ups - 15
sit ups - 45
shuttle run - 7.5

which really, isn't that much at all

beardo said:
If i need to shave time off quickly then what I do is lots and lots of sprinting

It improves you stamina and power...and also imporves your breathing and heart rate

so...depending on how far you need to run....13 mins I'd say about 3 miles...I would do a lap jogging round a 400m track...then 1 lap sprinting...rest...1 lap jogging....1 lap sprinting...rest....etc etc

It really helps me but different people prefer different methods...

Interval(?) training is very good if you want to improve your time fast (to a certain degree)

You can also find yourself a nice little hill :))), that takes about 40-60 sec to sprint up (as fast as you can), then jog/walk fast down, and sprint up again as fast as you possible can (again) 4-5 times each day.
It's h**l, but it really works.. :D

In the Irish DF for entry requirmens is 1.5 miles in under 11.30 min.

Its very to do. The only ingreddiant you need is people with you so you dont day dream and remember what your doing.
Getin the car and mark out a mile n half and run it over and over again.

You should be running it in 9min. When I did it, all of us (about 25) got under 12 min. including women which thier time had to be under 13min.

Now I am not sure if it has changed or not, but in The Marines in the early '90's you had to be able to do 20 pull ups (dead hang), 80 sit ups and run a 3 mile run in under 18 min.

Sooners1 said:
Now I am not sure if it has changed or not, but in The Marines in the early '90's you had to be able to do 20 pull ups (dead hang), 80 sit ups and run a 3 mile run in under 18 min.

For a First Class ^^^^^^ Is a perfect 300 pt PFT. But not hard to do if you try.

Im in a similar position, and i would run my 1.5 mile, get my breathe for about 20 seconds and then try my damn hardest to sprint back the way I came.

I never did manage to sprint back but i reduced my time by 2.5mins in just 2 and a half weeks (my best time being 10.16 mins)

Back