Position on MP's

Just wanting to know how you guys feel on the career of an MP and what branch would you get the most experience out of, I know its not a given you'll get the job but I just want to hear some opinions.

My grandpa said MP's dont have a lot of friends, becuz they dont party. They break up parties and ruff housing, and what not. Thats what I heard. :cowb:

Not sure how true this is but I heard wanting to be a Marine MP means four more weeks of training for some kind of phycology training. I'll get back to you once i can back it up or not.

MP's on deployments

I have been to Kosovo and Iraq and I can tell you that MP's get the shaft. During the war they provid security and man traffic control points. After everything settles, MP's provide base security and security for convoys. That kind of work is extremely long and boring. Plus they are doing it 12 hours or more a day. Most said they got a day off a week, but they were always being tasked to do something else. I am just glad I only had to help them once or twice a week

You talk about experience do you mean as in career or when you get out? If you are worried about after you get out then MP isn't the way to go if you want law enforcement. Most law enforcement agencies prefer not to have ex MP's on their staff due to the training being completely different and hard to make that change from military police to civilian police.

also, most police agencies reward military experience in one way or another. Some give you extra points on your application. Talk to any cop. Most are prior service

sgtbreeden said:
You talk about experience do you mean as in career or when you get out? If you are worried about after you get out then MP isn't the way to go if you want law enforcement. Most law enforcement agencies prefer not to have ex MP's on their staff due to the training being completely different and hard to make that change from military police to civilian police.

Really? So what do you think would look the best on an application? Because after the Marines I want to be a SWAT Officer.

MosquitoMan73 said:
Really? So what do you think would look the best on an application? Because after the Marines I want to be a SWAT Officer.

Military service itself looks good on any application, especially one for a Law Enforcement agency. I can promise you, no matter what you do in the Marine Corps, you will not enter into a Law Enforcement job and go directly to a SWAT team. Most departments/agencies require anywhere from three to five years patrol duty before even considering you. They won't be looking at what you did in the military so much at that point, but they will be looking at what kind of cop you are.

Back