Popularity of Lockheed Martin's F-16 Makes Its F-35 Stealth Jet a Tough Sell

rock45

Popularity of Lockheed Martin's F-16 Makes Its F-35 Stealth Jet a Tough Sell

Downside of Dominance?

By Michael S. Rosenwald
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 17, 2007; Page D01

FORT WORTH -- Here in Hangar 8, three shifts of Lockheed Martin technicians assemble F-16s, one of the most powerful and widely used fighter jets in history. They work tediously by hand -- bolt by bolt, wire by wire -- turning the plane's belly into a colorful work of industrial art later covered by 18,000 pounds of aluminum. The saying around here: Kick the tire, light the fire and then watch the thing zoom away.
F-16s used to be built next door in a mile-long factory that employees travel through on Schwinn bicycles. Now Lockheed is using that space to develop the F-35 stealth fighter jet, including a version that can land vertically. That Lockheed is juggling two of the world's most feared fighters illustrates its dominance in the industry and the importance of fighters for Lockheed's business. The F-16 has consistently been one of the Bethesda firm's top three revenue-generating products in the past decade.

Link to full story
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/16/AR2007121601522.html

How about applying some the special stuff F-117 had, though it don't matter much I be more afraid of the viper then F-35 its a proven fighter and and can carry a good bomb load.

Load

The F-35 isn't complete yet but the will carry a larger load and carry it further too, more fuel. The F-35 will be battle proven in time and it's more stealthier then a F-117.

The F-16 in time (shortly) will become the best fighter ever made passing the F4 and Mig-21. It's the back bone of our air force and I wish the US Air Force could order another 100/120 aircraft, our Viper hours are very high on most of our frames. Still a few years before the F-35 is complete and built in numbers. I know it won't happen but there needed.

Back