Pope John Paul II dies in Vatican

SwordFish_13

Hi,

He is now Immortal .

Source:BBC News

Pope John Paul II has died at the age of 84, after becoming one of the longest-serving pontiffs in history.
_40983341_pope203bap.jpg

The Pope died at 2137 local time (1937 GMT) on Saturday following a series of worsening health problems including heart failure.

Prayers are being said in St Peter's Square, where many thousands of people are gathered to pay tribute.

Polish-born Karol Wojtyla became Pope in 1978, taking a conservative stand on issues like abortion and contraception.

He was the most widely travelled pontiff and visited more than 120 countries during his 26-year papacy.

'Serene'

Pope John Paul II died after suffering from heart and kidney problems and unstable blood pressure.

Our Holy Father John Paul has returned to the house of the Father
Archbishop Leonardo Sandri
Senior Vatican official

"The Holy Father died this evening at 2137 in his private apartment," a brief Vatican statement said.

Procedures to be carried out in the event of the death of the Pope has been set in motion, it added.

His death was immediately announced to the crowds gathered on St Peter's Square, and was met with long applause, an Italian sign of respect.

Bells tolled across the city of Rome and many people wept openly.

"Our Holy Father John Paul has returned to the house of the Father," senior Vatican official Archbishop Leonardo Sandri said.

In the Pope's native Poland, people fell to their knees and wept as the news reached them.

Last rites

His condition deteriorated suddenly on Thursday night with a high fever caused by an infection of the urinary tract.

The infection brought on "septic shock and a cardio-circulatory collapse", the Vatican said in a statement.

The Pope then received the Saint Viaticum, a Catholic rite for the sick and dying.

The Vatican had announced on Friday that though he was gravely ill he had been conscious, lucid and serene.

Millions of Catholics across the world gathered in churches and in the open air to pray for the Pope.

The pontiff had been suffering from breathing troubles, exacerbated by the progress of Parkinson's Disease, an incurable condition from which he had been suffering for nearly a decade.

He appeared briefly at the window of his Vatican apartment on Easter Sunday to bless the faithful, but was not able to speak.

It was the first time during his 26-year pontificate that the Pope had delegated the main Easter ceremonies to his cardinals.

He tried again to speak to the faithful a few days later - a sign of his extraordinarily strong will, correspondents say.

Fall of communism

John Paul's papacy nearly ended in 1981 when he was shot and seriously wounded as he toured St Peter's Square in Rome.

After a long period of recovery he visited and forgave the would-be assassin.

I... know that it would be equally ridiculous to believe that it was the Pope who brought down communism with his own hands
Memory and Identity
Written by the Pope

John Paul's reign saw radical changes in the world including the collapse of communism and the spread of Aids.

Although plagued by ill health throughout the latter part of his papacy he maintained his international schedule and in 2000 made a poignant pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

He also made a final, nostalgic return to his homeland in 2002.

Born Karol Wojtyla in 1920 near Krakow, Poland, John Paul was an excellent sportsman in his youth.

Peace
-=SF-13=-

Thank you, Holy Father, for all your good works in the time you were alloted to spend with us.

I have seen five Popes in my lifetime when most of you can remember no other than John Paul II. I have therefore a basis of comparison. To me, he was like no other. So great a man, so great a soul.

Great man!!

He did a great work until the end and gived a great example of how to face death. Hope that next pope is at least half of good as him.

For every tear shead for this man is enough to stop a drought,

God bless his soul,

He left it as he came into it, full of love for Gods childern

Bless him and the man that will take his place.
The guy to replace him will probably have the toughest job ever as Pope.

i really think its sad how the media kept such constant watch over his last moments. it was like they were just sitting there waiting for him to die. i even heard from one of the news channels "many of these people are here waiting for the death of the Pope." i was appaled when i heard it. maybe im wrong but i felt like the Pope's condition was nothing more than an amusement show for some people. they were watching the news and waiting for the lights to go out in his room. i was so angry at that moment that i just had to turn off the TV. later on my dad told me that he died and i was actually happy for him. he finally went home. he completed his mission here on earth and has returned to base. may he be forever remembered for perhaps single handedly bringing an end to communism.

I think you're taking it the wrong way. If your father were hovering near death you'd hold a vigil wouldn't you? Well the Pope was of course the father of the Roman Catholic Church and as such the world held a vigil.

HI,

India Today declared three days of mourning ............. The national flag would Fly at half mast for three days.

Source:APP

Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekawat will lead an Indian parliamentary delegation to attend Pope John Paul II's funeral later this week, the government said.

India, a majority Hindu nation, declared three days of mourning for the pontiff with the national flag flying at half mast after the Vatican announced the 84-year-old pope's death on Saturday due to heart failure.

The pope visited India twice, once in 1986 when Rajiv Gandhi was prime minister and in 1999 when the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata party was in power.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid tribute to a "pope of the people" whose popularity in India shot up after the 2003 beatification of Mother Teresa, founder of the order of Missionaries of Charity in India's eastern port city of Calcutta.

Christians constitute just two percent of India's billion-plus population.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

A good man, a long long reign and that's two in a row: Popes who made Catholicism more relevant to the modern world, getting it caught up with the modern world while not compromising the on core values of the faith. For many, the reign of John Paul II has restored their faith and reaffirmed their convictions. I have seldom ever heard anyone with much to say about John Paul II that was bad.

Charge_7 said:
I think you're taking it the wrong way. If your father were hovering near death you'd hold a vigil wouldn't you? Well the Pope was of course the father of the Roman Catholic Church and as such the world held a vigil.

it became more than a vigil when it was televised like the olympics were televised. well, the media does like to take advantage of people. even in their most personal moments. damn the media and damn all they do.

it became more than a vigil when it was televised like the olympics were televised. well, the media does like to take advantage of people. even in their most personal moments. damn the media and damn all they do.

John Paul recognized the power of the media, he used it all the time to get his message to the world. His papacy was conducted in the full glare of the camera. He globetrotted physically by plane and Popemobile, and electronically via the "mass" media (no pun intended). He spoke out against the West's "culture of death" -- abortion, euthanasia, death penalty, and especially about Terry Schiavo. And he meant his death to be seen publicly. He was saying: this is how you die. No heroic measures, but no euthanasia either. "Thy will be done." Sure, it isn't pretty. But he died in dignity, with the world watching.

Besides, it's not like it's without precedent. Jesus died a very public death. And did it with dignity.

Back