Pope breaks silence on abuse, urges repentance (AP)

Double talk .. double talk .. double talk ......

"Pope Benedict XVI broke his recent silence on the clerical abuse scandal Thursday, complaining that the church was under attack but saying that "we Christians" must repent for sins and recognize mistakes.

The main U.S. victims group immediately dismissed his comments, saying they are meaningless unless Benedict takes concrete steps to safeguard children from pedophile priests.
I have to say that I agree with the victims ... I would add that I haven't heard so much double talk since I saw a speed talker on one of those variety shows.

While it is nice to talk about religious redemption, the church (in the guise of the Holy See pontificating) .. along with those who set church policy .. still don't get it.

Pedophile priests belong in prison, NOT transferred to another church where they can find new victims (and often do).

UNLESS/UNTIL the church sets a zero abuse policy .. and .. backs it up with the reporting of EVERY suspected abuse case to the police/authorities, the victims, the parishioners and the public at large is going to view the Catholic Church as an 'agency' that harbors and protects child abusers to the point of sweeping these cases under the rug and protecting abusive priests all the way down the line. At the same time, the church has a history of NOT treating the victims very well (and it appears to those on the outside, that it still continues).

Back