[ POLL ] Fort Jackson, SC vs. Fort Benning, GA

Private Fues

What are some openions on the worst and best places to be sent for BCT?

Fort Jackson, SC is one of the easier places to go to BCT.

Nick-name: Heaven

Fort Benning, GA is the worst place to be sent for BCT.

Nick-names: Hell...purgatory

Thie above is not my openion, just something I heard from others that have been to both.

Also, anyone that has been or someone they know that has been to BCT...share the expierience, so as others can have a bit of an idea what it will be like. - be as detailed as possible -

Relaxin Jackson is easy as far as BCT goes...

Benning..well..you'll have Ranger Drill instructors. Have fun

Who told you that? There are currently no Rangers serving as DSs at Ft. Benning. The DSs there are mainly former infantry, as Ft. Benning is the "Home of the Infantry." Many may have Ranger Tabs, but they are not Rangers.

RnderSafe said:

Who told you that? There are currently no Rangers serving as DSs at Ft. Benning. The DSs there are mainly former infantry, as Ft. Benning is the "Home of the Infantry." Many may have Ranger Tabs, but they are not Rangers.
bad wording, that's what I meant

fort jackson

I am curently in BCT at Fort Jackson. it is by far one of the easiest things you can possibly be in. but i also have airborne school at Fort Benning. so i am getting both ends of the spectrum. From what i have gathered from my DS. I am at relaxin Jackson and about to go to hell at Fort Benning.

I am at relaxin Jackson and about to go to hell at Fort Benning.

As long as you aren't going through Infantry school or Ranger school its not so bad. You are still going to be in shock the first week or so your there though.

Just remember, its much better to look like a newbie ass private then a tough guy wannabe. The last thing you want is some e7 grunt just back from a deployment ready to take your head off because he thinks your not showing him the proper respect.

Sill was no pick nick. HOT as hell! I seem to remember having DS that I thought were absolute lunatics! I was back at Sill not too long ago for BOLC and boy it's really gotten soft. For some reason it seems no one road marches anymore...I remember road marching EVERYWHERE!

Last edited:
Yea we rucked everywhere we went, this was back in 06. We rucked so much that we just left our packs down in the CTA because there was no point in putting them away. Our "classroom" training involved a 2-5 mile ruck to an abandoned field just to get an hour long block of instruction. I remember rucking to the TMC to get shots, laugh.

I hated it at the time... but I came to appreciate it when I got to my unit. By the time I was done with OSUT I was pretty fast at rucking. I also got remarkably faster on my run time as well...go figure!

I just got back from Ft Benning, my DS is ranger qualified, and most the other DS's were Airborn. They all have that mentality of to be the best, you need to be trained the best, AKA, Hell training. It is not as bad if you are combat support as compared to infantry. but it def is no joke. they are also very strict, you **** up, you will get ****ed up. Im glad I graduated from ft benning, but it sucked the whole time I was there....especially when we did stairway to heaven, it was more like, Highway to hell

Back