Poll to abort or not, causes heavy debate .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
The abortion issue has been a controversial topic for decades that reaches to the core of every person in America. Often voters will even base their entire choice on this one topic alone, disregarding everything else the politician has to offer in the vain hope that their “chosen one” will be able to effect change on this issue.

We all like to think that our opinions matter, but so often there is no effective outlet for our beliefs to change lives. While most people have a definite opinion about abortion and take a stance as being either “Pro-Life” or “Pro-choice”, very few have an opportunity to do more than voice their concern to their elected representative. The concerns that we voice to those around us don’t seem to change the status-quo. Unless you are put into the position of having to make this decision in a setting that actually makes a difference, the debate does not affect anything.

Voting is such an integral part of the American identity. We vote on everything. We vote on things ranging from the best singer on American Idol to who the next leader of the free world will be. Wouldn’t it be nice to voice your opinion and have it actually make a difference in the real world? Why not vote on whether to continue or abort an actual pregnancy? Your vote can help a real couple to make a decision on this issue.

Soon -to-be parents: Pete & Alisha ... not sure they want to be parents set up a poll (Abortion or Birth), and have stated they were thinking of following the finding of the poll.

For more or to vote: http://www.birthornot.com/

Personally I find that whole thing a little cold and calculating and somewhat abhorrent it strikes me as yet another way to defer responsibility for their actions and its outcome, I am a pro-choice person through and through but it is a decision for two people at the most to make not every moron with an internet connection.

Personal choice, personal choice - does not belong in the public domain..

Next I will be told what colour underwear to wear, people don't have to like my colour co-ordination, because it is my choice.

Personal choice, personal choice - does not belong in the public domain..

Next I will be told what colour underwear to wear, people don't have to like my colour co-ordination, because it is my choice.
You do realize that these "people" posted this poll. It's not like the public is forcing them to hold this "election."......?

If "they" take this is issue so seriously, why don't they make a better poll? What kind of question is:
Should We Give Birth or Have an Abortion?
You have got to be joking if this is the only question on the entire topic and if you want to make policy out the answer of this one question. Please tell me there are more questions in this poll and that I just missed them....

This has to be a joke. These "people" should be shot. To be so flippant about the life of their unborn child is the worst character trait exhibited by prospective parents. Most parents would die for their children. If they choose to abort, they should be prosecuted for murder 1. If not, their child should be informed of their poll when they are 18.

BTW, if it is not obvious I am pro life.

This has to be a joke. These "people" should be shot. To be so flippant about the life of their unborn child is the worst character trait exhibited by prospective parents. Most parents would die for their children. If they choose to abort, they should be prosecuted for murder 1. If not, their child should be informed of their poll when they are 18.

Heh. Another pro-life male. LOLZ

murder ... not murder???????

Hmmmm - let's see if I've got this right.

According to you: abortion=murder .........
these "people" should be shot does NOT equal murder?????
It makes me laugh every time one of you pro-lifers opens your mouth ... you can't seem to get it right. Either life holds value for everyone (including those parents you want to shoot), or your stance on abortion is just so much BS.

YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS .....

It makes me laugh every time one of you pro-lifers opens your mouth ... you can't seem to get it right. Either life holds value for everyone (including those parents you want to shoot), or your stance on abortion is just so much BS.

Apparently only liberal pro abortionists get to HAVE IT BOTH WAYS....

The only difference is liberals want to kill innocent unborn children, and want to keep serial killers, and murders alive by doing away with the death penalty.:shoothea:

Very astute Chief.:cheers:

I happen to believe that abortion may be needed in some cases, but not done by a poll. I also believe that the death penalty is a useful tool.

The very thought of the generations of innocent babies being killed in horrible ways makes me wonder whether mankind deserves to survive at all. RIP.

Chief,
The difference here is that the parents are making a conscious choice to end the life of their unborn child. The child has no say in the matter.
The difference between killing the child and killing a murderer is this:
The murderer made a conscious decision that society says is taboo. That is taking the life of another. Society has determined that the death penalty is the punishment.
The parent or parents of the child have also decided to take the life of another, but this is OK because society says so? How is that NOT a double standard.
BTW Chief I baited you with this. I knew that someone would jump on the fact that I advocated killing of the parents but saving the life of the child.

Ultimately the difference is this. If person makes a conscious decision to break the law knowing the penalty, they have no one to blame but themselves. You are allowing the parents here to assume the role of society and end the life of a child/person who has comitted no crime. Both parents are responsible for the life of the child and you cannot assume that the child is at fault just because it is inconvenient.

Chief,
The difference here is that the parents are making a conscious choice to end the life of their unborn child. The child has no say in the matter.
The murderer made a conscious decision that society says is taboo. That is taking the life of another. Society has determined that the death penalty is the punishment.
The parent or parents of the child have also decided to take the life of another, but this is OK because society says so? How is that NOT a double standard.
BTW Chief I baited you with this. I knew that someone would jump on the fact that I advocated killing of the parents but saving the life of the child.

Ultimately the difference is this. If person makes a conscious decision to break the law knowing the penalty, they have no one to blame but themselves. You are allowing the parents here to assume the role of society and end the life of a child/person who has comitted no crime. Both parents are responsible for the life of the child and you cannot assume that the child is at fault just because it is inconvenient.
Still cracks me up that a man has a pro-choice stance on abortion. Quite honestly, it's not up to you. It's up to the mother of the child. The father should have to do whatever the hell the mother decides to do, regardless of what it is.

By the way, murder victims don't have much say in the matter of their deaths either. ;)

Still cracks me up that a man has a pro-choice stance on abortion. Quite honestly, it's not up to you. It's up to the mother of the child. The father should have to do whatever the hell the mother decides to do, regardless of what it is.

By the way, murder victims don't have much say in the matter of their deaths either. ;)

That is what society says too Rob. I would like to see what your thoughts about your rights are after you concieve a child. You might change your tune after you have a stake in the matter.
Interesting that it takes 2 to concieve, 2 to raise a child, but only 1 has any say about killing a child before it is born?

Pfff..... unborn child. What is your definition of a "child"? Remember that it takes several weeks before it has a heart, brain and nervous system. So if you are quick and the "child" has no heartbeat, brain function and can't feel, what is the worry. Most medics would call a grown up in these conditions "a dead person". You can't kill what is still/already dead!

And there lies the crux of the issue. Since no one has been able to prove when an unborn child is "alive" this issue will never be resolved.
Pro Life feels it is at conception.
Pro Chice feels it is at birth.
I think we can agree that we will never agree about this and return to the subject at hand.
I personally feel that this poll these parents are conducting is pretty cold blooded. Not sure I would be too psyched if these folks were my parents.

BUSHWAH ....

Chief,

B U S H W A H !

You are trying to eat your cake and have it too and NOW you would have us believe you were baiting the forum. I don't believe your 'bait' comment.

Pro-lifers have used this excuse for years, to excuse their stance on abortion-v-death penalty or the taking of an adult's life (re: shooting the parents).

Why don't you just own up to the fact that you are trying to have it both ways as I alluded to.

BTW - Abortion IS LEGAL - MURDER IS NOT.

That is what society says too Rob. I would like to see what your thoughts about your rights are after you concieve a child. You might change your tune after you have a stake in the matter.
Interesting that it takes 2 to concieve, 2 to raise a child, but only 1 has any say about killing a child before it is born?
It takes a sperm and an egg to conceive a child, single parents have existed for a LONG time (think Middle Ages when husbands went off to war), and yes, one has the final say in what to do about the "child" before it is born. If the man does not want to have a child, the man should ensure that the woman does not get pregnant. "Oops, I didn't pull out in time" does not constitute this assurance.

So apparently the father and child have no say so abortion is OK?

"murder victims don't have much say in the matter of their deaths either." quote Rob Henderson

So victims not having a say in their deaths makes it OK to do away with the death penalty?

Thanks for the clarification.:confused:

When people address the topic, both pro choice and pro life seem to agree the poll is stupid. So realistically there is no debate about the poll.

So apparently the father and child have no say so abortion is OK?
Abortion is up to the mother. If the father didn't want to have a child, he should have been more careful. If the mother doesn't want a child and the father does, it's probably time for a new girlfriend/wife.

"murder victims don't have much say in the matter of their deaths either." quote Rob Henderson

So victims not having a say in their deaths makes it OK to do away with the death penalty?

Thanks for the clarification.:confused:
Nope. Hokie said "The difference here is that the parents are making a conscious choice to end the life of their unborn child. The child has no say in the matter."

Murder victims no matter their age have no say in the matter. Just saying that killing someone older is the same as killing an embryo.
When people address the topic, both pro choice and pro life seem to agree the poll is stupid. So realistically there is no debate about the poll.
The first sentence of Chief's post is "The abortion issue has been a controversial topic for decades that reaches to the core of every person in America."

The topic is abortion. Not JUST the poll. Sorry Chukpike. Wrong again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back