Political Discussions now opened! Please read here first.

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
A new "Political Discussions" forum has been opened:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=47

All politically related discussions should go in there, NOT in the Military discussions.

The line between a political and political discussions can sometimes a a bit thin, but if you're in doubt if it should go in here or in the other forum then please post it in the Political Discussions first.
We will move it to the mil discussions if we believe it should be in there instead.

Several discussions have already been moved in there, and please feel free to PM me, or use the "report post" button if you believe we should move other discussions in there as well.

Suggestions and comments are (as always) welcome.

Please review the rules in the new forum before you start to post.

Thanks. :)

Thanks, Redleg! The military forum has gotten seriously cluttered with soapboxes. Glad you've taken steps to clean up the mess.

Reposting my idea here
godofthunder9010 said:
Hey, nice that the Political Conversation section is a go. Of course, many will continue to drop their topics that should have gone in that section into Military Related Discussion simply because it is closer to the top and that is where they are accustomed to looking. Wouldn't the wisest course be to stick the Section you want that discussion to go into as close to Military Related Discussion as possible? Like, right underneath it perhaps? Just a thought.

Redleg said:
All politically related discussions should go in there, NOT in the Military discussions.

The line between a political and political discussions can sometimes a a bit thin, but if you're in doubt if it should go in here or in the other forum then please post it in the Political Discussions first.
We will move it to the mil discussions if we believe it should be in there instead.
Massive understatement there. Most of the political discussions on this forum are only about the military side of world politics. A more appropriate title for it might be "International Military and Political Discussion" or somesuch. In its current general location (down under Other), I don't know how effective of a redirection it is going to be at cleaning up the General section.

Thanks for the suggestions, I can certainly see your point, but I just want to see how it goes first before I do anything more with it.. :)

I totally agree with this innovation. I'm with you on this, RL.
I found myself in trouble at times trying to decide which section I should pick.
Gd job.

Not entirely sure if it is truly catching on. Lotta people not noticing the new section and posting in this one, but maybe if their topics are moved enough times they catch on. Bit of work for the mods, but its nice to have a seperate area for those discussions.

As I said, no argument whatsoever with the creation of the Policial Discussion section.

It's a great idea.
I was beginning to think the "military related discussions" was really a political discussion. Sure they're related but there's got to be a limit.

godofthunder9010 said:
Not entirely sure if it is truly catching on. Lotta people not noticing the new section and posting in this one, but maybe if their topics are moved enough times they catch on. Bit of work for the mods, but its nice to have a seperate area for those discussions.

It's moved, so it should be pretty hard to miss it now.. :)

Doc.S said:
Hey redleg.... I didn't see this one until today! Great initiative sir :D

Doc.S
:viking:
All of those quotes are very much applicable and to the point, particularly the one from Doc. S. However I fell that Sherman got it in a nutshell:

"I have been where you are now and I know just how you feel. It is entirely natural that there should beat in the breast of every one of you a hope and desire that some day you can use the skill you have acquired here. Suppress it! You don't know the horrible aspects of war. I've been through two wars and I know. I've seen cities and homes in ashes. I've seen thousands of men lying on the ground, their dead faces looking up at the skies. I tell you, war is hell!"

General Sherman

I don't have a problem with your decision to split into two sections.

The REAL problem is that when you get into a discussion about military matters it is IMPOSSIBLE to ignore the political ramifications.

From there you get into the inevitable political hoopla that you would expect.

Expect to still see problems with this one. (Sorry)

Last edited:
Chief Bones, it really isn't. There is discussing the politics of a situation and discussing things "politically".

In other words I can talk about: "For America to win the Iraq war, George Bush needs to keep his poll numbers up."

And then I can say, "The Iraq war is the right thing at the right time for America to do and these liberals who opose it are hurting America and putting our troops in danger!"

understand?

Back