Political correctness, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
Teacher told to drop Star of David
A municipally employed teacher in Kristiansand has been prevented from wearing a Star of David around his neck. Kristiansand Adult Education Center, where the man works, ruled that the Jewish symbol could be deemed a provocation towards the many Muslim students at the school, Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reports.

Teacher Inge Telhaug said he feels this is a violation of his freedom of speech.

"I can't accept this. It is a small star, 16 millimeters (0.6 inches) that I have around my neck, usually under a T-shirt. I see it as my right to wear it," Telhaug told NRK.

Telhaug teaches immigrants Norwegian language and culture at the education center. Telhaug is not Jewish.

"I see it as the oldest religious symbol we have in our culture, because without Judaism there would be no Christianity," Telhaug.

The principal of the school, Kjell Gislefoss, feels that the Star of David can also be interpreted as a political symbol for the state of Israel, and is afraid the star can provoke and offend students, for example immigrants from the Palestinian territories.

"The Star of David would be a symbol for one side in what is perhaps the world's most inflamed conflict at the moment. Many have a traumatic past that they have escaped and then we feel that if they are going to learn Norwegian then they can't sit an at the same time be reminded of the things they have traveled from," Gislefoss said.

Telhaug has hired a lawyer and refuses to give in.

The head of the Education Association in Kristiansand, Heidi Hauge Uldal, called the school's decision "unacceptable". Uldal said her group did not want to go the way of France and forbid all religious symbols in schools, a topic that is currently becoming relevant in Norway as well.

Aftenposten English Web Desk
Jonathan Tisdall

Source: http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article724262.ece

Would you believe it? After they banned the Burger King icecream because the curl on the lid resembled the word Allah, and after they banned Winnie the Pooh and his friend Piglet in England because the pig could be taken as an offense by Muslims, now they start to ban the Stars of David...

I think there is going to be a major backlash against the pc stupidity. Maybe its starting to happen already at least here in the US.

That episode of South Park is perfect. If you remember, it was the one about Christmas. When everyone said that something offended them. I think it's happening in real life.

Here in Australia we've had the same outcry against muslim kids being banned from wearing their headscarves and Sikhs from wearing turbans in school. They're all ways of telling our kids that alien cultures and religions are not acceptable in society. :roll:

Maybe France had the best solution for a change. They banned all symbols of any religion from their schools. That ment no crosses, scarves, keppel, judean star etc. School is a non-religion entity and I think that is the way to go if you want to get it over and done with. So no to all religions, because it is too late just to say no to a few religions that you imported when you needed the people economically.

I think you guys are missing the point of the post, ---the Star of David that the guy is wearing is being banned because it would offend Muslims.

Here we have is what is visibly the most intolerant religions in the world, being promoted and advocated by people who want tolerance. Doesnt anyone see the irony?

If they are going to live in the West then they need to force these Muslim people to adapt, part of this is to not wear their headscarfs and accept things such as the Star of David as normal. Instead they are forcing those already in the West to adapt to them.

This will only create a closed Muslim community within that country (a country within a country) whose people are not used to intreracting with those with different views or religions. Why? Because everytime something is deem even the slightest bit offensive it is taken away. Hence they do not get use to seeing these things as a normal part of everyday life which they should learn to live with, as in the case with most Western democracies.

If this is kept up then what you will get are closed cloiters which raise up people like the London bombers because they are not used to tolerance of cultures and things different than them.

You have a point when you say tolerance versus prohibiting an expresion of a certain faith. But I have to disagree with the "most intolerant" part of the post.

I grew up in the Dutch bible belt where "Reformed Protestants" roamed the streets. Hell, I'm a protestant as well but I never spoke a single word with them. In their eyes I was a sinner and you would be contaminated if you talked to me. They have special schools, aren't allowed to watch tv and the women don't have the right to be elected into office at any level of legislation. As a matter of fact they aren't allowed to become members of their political party.
Benazir Bhutto, Megawati Sukarnoputri or Queen Noor are/were very respected women at the zenith of political power in different Islamic nations. So I get the point you are trying to make, but I think you are overstating a few details. This point of view is also spoken of in other threads on this forum. Is it due to one sighted views of the national reporters?

Ted said:
You have a point when you say tolerance versus prohibiting an expresion of a certain faith. But I have to disagree with the "most intolerant" part of the post.

I grew up in the Dutch bible belt where "Reformed Protestants" roamed the streets. Hell, I'm a protestant as well but I never spoke a single word with them. In their eyes I was a sinner and you would be contaminated if you talked to me. They have special schools, aren't allowed to watch tv and the women don't have the right to be elected into office at any level of legislation. As a matter of fact they aren't allowed to become members of their political party.
Benazir Bhutto, Megawati Sukarnoputri or Queen Noor are/were very respected women at the zenith of political power in different Islamic nations. So I get the point you are trying to make, but I think you are overstating a few details. This point of view is also spoken of in other threads on this forum. Is it due to one sighted views of the national reporters?

I wanted to point out that IMO most of the immigrants from the Arab world and the Islamic world that come to Europe are way more extremist than their counterparts back home. Many of them just leave their countries because they are often known as fanatics and constantly "attentioned" by the local police. Their movements limited by stricter laws. So these individuals often come here and build real networks. IMO back in their country people are way more emancipated and modern than those who are here. Just my opinion.

I think this is ridiculous!! I'm just waiting for the day America is so :cen: scared that we walk on egg shells about everything. I can't believe that Congress is actually thinking about taking the Pledge of Allegiance out of Schools.

Topgunjn1 said:
I think this is ridiculous!! I'm just waiting for the day America is so :cen: scared that we walk on egg shells about everything. I can't believe that Congress is actually thinking about taking the Pledge of Allegiance out of Schools.

I think I'm going to secessed my house from the Union of the United States of America if that happens.

'Nuff Said...

Luis (5.56X45mm)

Hahahahaha, don't get me started on political correctness! Well Hell, I think the Dutch invented this silly charade. Our politicians learned the art of saying the proper thing and doing the horrible a long time ago. But I think it's wide spread knowledge these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back