Polishing Boots

cpl_clarke

Thought it would be a good idea to exchange methods of polishing boots.

I take my boot and apply polish all over. Next I take my brush and brush the polish off. What this does is it cleans the boot of any dirt and dust so your not polishing a dirty boot. That's hard. Next I apply a very small amount of polish to the desired area of the boot. Remember, what you put on has to come off. I turn the boot upside down and carefully hold a lighter to it. I don't hold it to close so I don't burn the boot.

Burn shining isn't allowed in the CF. It messes up your boot if you do it for too long. The best way to do it is just to rub the polish in by using large circles to apply the polish and then progress to smaller circles to work the polish in.

It messes up your boot if you do it for too long

Thats why i dont do it every time and i never hold it close and for a long time. its just easier to do it that way. saves time

NCdt Steliga said:
It messes up your boot if you do it for too long. .

thats why i dont tdo it all the time and when i do its for a short period and not to close to the boot. it saves alot of time. i have a life and shining boots for hours isnt exactly something that i want to be part of it.

Shining boots for hours? After you finally get your boots to standard, you only have to polish them for MAYBE half an hour before putting them on. Trust me. ;)

still, half an hour is long when your polishing boots. i prefer the five minute way. its easier to. Trust me. ;)

You may be right about the not taking as long part, but wait until those boots get older. They WILL crap out on you. Take it from my former Warrant Officers. They burn shined most of their career, but eventually you could tell that they were doing it.

I myself have taken the time and effort to make my boots the right and proper way, and I've gotten better results out of them.

The best thing to do is to make sure you get one of those KIWI cloths wrapped really tight around 2 of your fingers. Then use a little dab a water and a little polish. Then go around in little circles like crazy. Takes awhile but there's no tricks in getting it done right I guess. Hope this helps. :)

NCdt Steliga said:
After you finally get your boots to standard...
Mine are WAY past standards, and i still polish them like 20 min. a day anyway :D . I use parade gloss after the reg. and it helps to protect them boot since it has silicon in it.

There was this kid who used to put vaseline on his boots because he didn't know how to get them shiny. Man what a tool!

when our squadron went to Fort Bragg for the day one of the guys at the Spec. Ops Museum told us a trick he used to do. There is or was a deodorant stick that when melted onto the boot created a great shine, but the bad part is it doesn't last long.

a CPO2 who works with my cadet corps thinks that rubbing alcohol wrecks the boot. i dont know what hes talking about. also ive seen some people use a pair of nylons when polishing. whats this about? does it work? :sniper:

pte_clarke said:
a CPO2 who works with my cadet corps thinks that rubbing alcohol wrecks the boot. i dont know what hes talking about. also ive seen some people use a pair of nylons when polishing. whats this about? does it work? :sniper:

Nylons work fairly well when you're just trying to get a quick shine to the boots before an inspection while you've already got the boots on. A lot of the guys here use them for their combat boots just before either inspection or fall-in.

Also, I've never heard anything about rubbing alcohol, so I've got no opinion on that.

Back