Polishing Boots

hopefully the little brother will be nice and shine my boots while he's on bed rest... isn't anything else he can do!

NCdt Steliga said:
pte_clarke said:
a CPO2 who works with my cadet corps thinks that rubbing alcohol wrecks the boot. i dont know what hes talking about. also ive seen some people use a pair of nylons when polishing. whats this about? does it work? :sniper:

Nylons work fairly well when you're just trying to get a quick shine to the boots before an inspection while you've already got the boots on. A lot of the guys here use them for their combat boots just before either inspection or fall-in.

Also, I've never heard anything about rubbing alcohol, so I've got no opinion on that.
I use rubbing alcohol sometimes.... But yes, it can wreck your boots if you dont have a good baise. Thats why I dont recommend it to people. They normally mess up and blame me lol But once you find the right way of doing it, your boots look like mirrors 8)

Boots

doesnt parade gloss :cen: up ur boots it like peels then u have to strip them to get the stuff off

there was this kid at camp who lighter shined his boots, we all got angery at him and by the time CO's parade came his boots were peeling and boy did he lok bad

I don't know what kid of boots you guys have, but I' polishing my (personal) boots like this:

- Brushing off rough irt and dust
- Applying plain simple black shoe polish
- Polishing with a soft brush

that's it. They are not shiny but clean.

rotc boy said:
i just spit shine it, really shiny :D

Do you literally spit shine them? That's actually a bad idea. Even though it works for the few months, after about a year or so, the acid in your spit will crack the polish. Believe me, it happened to me when I was in Air Cadets. My boots were some of the best in the squadron for the first little bit that I was spit shining, and then it went downhill. After I realiezed why they were cracking, I started to use regular water. It works just as well.

Trevor said:
There was this kid who used to put vaseline on his boots because he didn't know how to get them shiny. Man what a tool!

Well, he wasn't completely off base. Vasaline shines corfams very well.

Our first rank promotion to Seaman-Apprentice was based on how shiny our shoes were. This was my method (I was the first to receive that promotion):

Apply shaving cream, it gets it clean and gets everything off the boot/shoe. Apply a liquid dye, it will give it a richer color once you apply the polish. Let it dry for a bit. Apply Parade Glos to the entire shoe, being sure to rub in small circles. Then buff the shoe. Then apply Gloss again. Buff the shoe. Then apply Gloss a third time. Then, apply water right after. se small circles for this part also. After about ten minutes or so of drying, rub it down again with water. Don't be afraid to glob it on there and be mean with the shoe. Let it dry for ten minutes. Apply water again. Just keep applying water at intervals after it dries. You can let it dry a day, then apply water again, or let it go for half an hour, or five minutes. Whatever you like. Just apply more and more water. Worked for me very well. The toe of the shoe practically looked like the toe of a corfam.

Trevor said:
There was this kid who used to put vaseline on his boots because he didn't know how to get them shiny. Man what a tool!

I had a cadet do that the other day. He will never live it down. I took one look at his boots and said, "wait, that is NOT polish, what the heck is that."

I don't think he understands how obvious it ends up being. I would hate to have seen them after a mission.

I feel bad for people who put vasoline on their shoes. I've searched around the internet for shining shoes and many say Vasoline is perfect, however, it isn't. And I kind of pity those who do it just because they read it worked. We should laugh and help them, not just laugh. But it is funny. :lol:

My father was in the military for 20 years and i've frequently watched him clean his boots. He takes his shoe brush, wets it a bit, brushes his boots then takes a clean towel and wipe them off. Then he takes a can of spit shine, and polishes in wide circles. At CBA we don't use boots. We wear class A's and B's with patent leather shoes.

polishing boots

That method works real good because i did that for a year but then i realized that it messes up your boots cause you burn some of it off when ever you burn off the polish. so it works up until a point then it doesn't work as good as it did.

I reiterate my statement. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? How does putting electrical tape on your boots make them shiny?

NCdt Steliga said:
I reiterate my statement. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Haha, ok so you just won the non-existant award for the funniest post.

Yes, Joe, could you also give evidence of this? And possibly explain it a little more...

I'm really confused

Back