Polish troops blow up their helicopter in Iraq

rock45

Polish troops blow up their helicopter in Iraq
3rd October 2008
Commanders of Polish troops, which are pulling out of Iraq, asked combat engineers from Kazakhstan to destroy a Polish Mi-24D helicopter

The Polish regiment decided that it would be too expensive to transport the equipment back to Poland and they wanted to avoid the helicopter getting into the hands of militants, therefore decided to destroy it.

Mi-24D is a Soviet-era helicopter, now manufactured in Russia, one of 35 of such helicopters still among equipment of the Polish army. The helicopter launches missiles, which are capable of destroying tanks. This particular helicopter was operated by the 49th Combat Helicopter Regiment from Pruszcz Gdański and was one of six present in Iraqi Delta base in Al-Kut region.
It is a common practice to destroy military machinery that no longer can be used or its transportation would be too costly. The remaining helicopters will be either transported to Poland by sea or transferred to service in Afghanistan.

Source: TVN24

From Warsaw Business Journal by Marcin Poznań

Link
http://www.wbj.pl/article-42766-polish-troops-blow-up-their-helicopter-in-iraq.html?typ=wbj

Equipment

I thought the same thing or at least given it to Iraq's government. Seem like a waste I'm sure Iraq's army must have Hind-25s in some form that at least parts could have been used. I don't get it?
icon5.gif

Retirement

A friend told me from another forum I'm in that:
D was scheduled for retirement anyway as it had been already decided to upgrade the -V Hinds only.

This isn't 100% confirmed so if anybody knows better please let me know, just seems wasteful.

Rumor

A Iraqi in this other forum is saying Iraq's not happy with the Polish helicopters or Russian in general and is passing a rumor that Iraq's looking at 50 helicopters size order from France , older models. If I find out more I'll post it.

Hind

The Iraqi said Russian equipment will not be bought anymore and the Polish helicopters supplied needed overhauls already. I can assume Poland may have not sent their best equipment? I do remember a ways back some Polish pilots I think refusing to go to Iraq because of equipment problems concerning helicopters, I hope I got the Iraq part right? Maybe this helicopter is part of that batch? Who knows in the mean time I'll check and see if he posted anything else.

Hind

I remember reading in the South African forum once this posting saying that Hinds like all helicopter need spare parts. The flow of parts were the key and in different African country's this was not a easy feat. He went on about the spare parts themselves not being good but did like that fact the helicopter could take hits and dish them out as well.

There are a lot of Hind helicopters stories one could find about operations in Africa. Let your fingers do the walking.

Not that I'm strong in this region but I just found a good book portal for South African topics.
http://www.booksofzimbabwe.com/stor...rations+in+Africa+1985%2C+stories&btnG=Search

I'm going to look around I always wanted know better how SAF forces used their wheeled SP-155 against the Cuban forces it seemed like Cuba had a large tank force. :eek:fftopic:

Back