The Polish Military Museum

--

October 25th, 2006  
Venom PL

Topic: The Polish Military Museum

Today I was in The Polish Military Museum in Warsaw.
I’ve took some pictures that I want to share with you (hope you are happy).

Informations about the museum.

Quote:
The Polish Military Museum was established on the basis of a 1920 decree by the Supreme Commander, Marshall Jozef Pilsudski. Initially housed together with the National Museum in a building in Podwale Street, in 1934 it moved to a section of the National Museum's new building, a purpose-built edifice constructed in 1926-38 after the design by Tadeusz Tolwinski. Reopened after World War II in 1946, the Museum started its new divisions, the Museum of Katyn and the Museum of Polish Military Technology, in the 9th Czerniakowski Fort in 1993.

The holdings tell the story of the Polish armed forces from the Middle Ages to contemporary times and include collections of edged weapons, firearms and protective weapons; eighteenth century and later uniforms; sixteenth century and later standards and banners; military orders and distinctions; equestrian equipment; hunting and sports weapons; marine and aviation equipment; oriental and exotic arms. The Art Department houses a collection of battle-scene paintings, graphics, posters and drawings. The special holdings encompass extensive iconographic, archival and cartographic collections. Among the Museum's prized possessions are the personal effects of distinguished military leaders and commanders from Hetman Jan Tarnowski to Jozef Pilsudski.

"Sexton" MK.II Self-Propelled Gun
The first artillery unit of the Polish Armed Forces in the West that received the "Sexton" SP guns was the 1st Motor Artillery Regiment of the 1st Armored Division. The 7th Horse Artillery Regiment, an artillery unit assigned to the 2nd Warszawska Armored Division, which was raised shortly prior to the war’s end, was another unit that used vehicles of this type. An estimated number of 60 - 80 "Sextons" were in use by the Polish units.
The vehicle on this photo carries the markings of the 1st Motor Artillery Regiment of the 1st Armored Division.

M3 GMC (Gun Motor Carriage) with M1897A4 75mm Gun

The 2S1 - 122-mm self-propelled howitzer

T-34/85

T-55AMS

The T-55AMS tank is a variant of the Polish-produced T-55AM tank, which in turn was a modified version of the Soviet T-55A tank that was produced in Poland under a license agreement.
The T-55AMS tank was introduced to service with the Army of the Peoples Republic of Poland in the latter 1980s. As the preceding T-55AM tank, the T-55AMS has been provided with MERIDA fire control system (incorporating a laser range finder and digital ballistic computer), DOBRAVA warning laser detection system and ERB smoke grenade launchers. The T-55AMS has been added with provisions for attaching engineering equipment: the KMT-5 mine-clearing device or the USCz-55 dozer blade. Each T-55 tank company comprised 10 tanks: one T-55AD2M (command vehicle), six T-55AM and three T-55AMS tanks.

More photos soon......

October 25th, 2006  
Venom PL

T-55AMS

T-55AMS

T-34/76

I have a personal fillings to this tank because my grandfather was one of its crew members during WWII. This tank passed 4760KM war path (1820KM in combat). It was fighting in the Battle of Lenino, Battle of Studzianki, Battle to break the “Wał Pomorski” (Pomeranian Position – the highly fortified German defense line). During the attack at Zabinek (2-3 march 1945) the tank was hit by Panzerfaust and it was forced to withdraw for repairs. From 17th of january 1946 tank is one of the exhibits in Polish Military Museum.

T-34/76

From the left: 2S1 - 122mm self-propelled howitzer, T-34/85, T-55AMS

German Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. D Half-Truck

German Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. D Half-Truck

Same as above
October 26th, 2006  
Venom PL

German Jagdpanzer 38 "Hetzer" tank destroyer.

Same as above

SU-76 self-propelled gun

Same as above

IS-2 Heavy Tank

German 10,5 cm leichte Feld haubitze (light field howitzer) - standard German field artillery when WWII started.

I'll post more photos soon
--
October 26th, 2006  
Venom PL

Yak-9P Fighter - this one was used by the 1st "Warsaw" Air Fighter Regiment.

Same as above

British BL 5.5 inch (139,7mm) Medium Gun - this gun was the standard weapon of the British medium artillery regiments during WWII. The 5.5 guns were the combat equipment of the Polish 10th an 11th Heavy Artillery Regimends of the Polish 2nd Corp's Artillery Group - Polish Armed Forces in the West.

Polish jet trainer - PZL TS-11 "Iskra" (Spark).

Polish jet trainer PZL I-22 Iryda M-96

Short history review from Wikipedia:

In 1976 program of new jet trainer for the Polish Air Force started in Instytut Lotnictwa (polish: Institute of Aeronautics) to replace TS-11 Iskra. Iryda was designed in PZL Mielec (then WSK-Mielec). The first prototype was flown on March 3, 1985. Project was finally cancelled in the 1990s due to problems and lacks of fundings. Additional cause was a crash of the pre-production series aircraft, even though the cause of accident was exceeding of the performance limits during forced flutter tests.

October 26th, 2006  
Venom PL

Polish trainer aircraft PZL TS-8 Bies. This type of trainer was in active service since 1958 till mid-1960s (it was replaced by PZL TS-11 Iskra).

Another photo of Made in Canada "Sexton" MK.II Self-Propelled Gun

SCUD-B on MAZ-543 wheeled chassis

SCUD-A on IS-3 Heavy Tank based chassis

October 26th, 2006  
Venom PL

Some older military hardware

Mi-8 - my friend’s father was flying on this particular chopper.

Mi-2 and his bigger brother Mi-8

MiG-21 bis

October 26th, 2006  
Légionnaire

Nice pictures...

So long
Légionnaire
October 27th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Sweet, any displays about the Polish Calvary and the standard infantry soldier during WWII?
October 27th, 2006  
Venom PL

Yes we will get to it soon.

Russian 76-mm regimental gun

Petlyakov Pe-2 dive bomber

Same as above

Ilyushin Ił-2m3 one of the 3 (some say 4) on the world that still exist.

Ilyushin Ił-10

October 27th, 2006  
Venom PL

Tupolev Tu-2 daylight bomber

BM-13 on ZiL-151 truck chassis

From the left: BM-21 Grad on Ural-375D truck chassis, BM-14 and
BM-13 on ZiL-151 truck chassis.

TOPAS-2AP