Polish Army Photos

I am glad you like it guys. :cheers:

The Other Guy could you tell something more about your Polish roots ?

My dad's side of the family was from eastern Poland, the area that had before WWI been part of Germany. My great grandparents (on my Grandmother's side) came to the US via Ellis Island in about 1910. My great grandparents on my grandfather's side of the family came over in the late 20s, but in 1938 they returned because my Great Grandfather missed working with the farm animals (the farm would not have a tractor until about 1970).

When the war broke out, there was no real fighting in that area, the Germans quickly overrunning the Polish Positions in their area. Shortly after the start of Operation Barbarossa later all jewish residents of the town were rounded up and taken away by Ukranian Sodiers fighting for the Germans. None of them were ever seen again. When the war broke out, my grandfather was 14.

In 1943 my great grandfather (who was quite the rebel) was trying to organze the farmers in the area to slow grain production to the germans. A short time later the Gestapo showed up at his house, put a gun to his head, and "interrogated" him. They said if grain hold ups continued they would be back. They left. My great grandfather snorted, spat where they had been standing, and the grain hold ups continued. However, the Gestapo never returned.

In 1944 as the Russians came through there was some intense fighting in the area. At one point a battle broke out as my great grandmother was milking the cow. When the shooting began, she dove under a hay cart. My great grandfather, saw her, ran out to the haycart, picked her up, and carried her back to the house. Neither of them were hurt. My great grandfather then went up into the attic of their house to smoke, and unknown to him a hole had been blown into the roof by an artillery shell. When he stood up in the attic he was mistaken for a sniper and shot in the head. He died almost immediately.

After the war ended, my grandfather (who had a relative still in Cleveland, where they had settled before the war) left Poland and moved to the US. He married my Grandmother sometime in the late '40s.

My Grandfather died of a massive Heart Attack in 1994. My Grandmother died last summer at the age of 92. No member of my family has been to Poland since 1974, when my dad went with my Grandparents..

Oh, and my great uncle (who remained in Poland after the war) was a member of the Polish Resistance. Apparently after blowing up a bridge he came back with a cape tied on him by a couple of friends. There were bullet holes in the cape, but he was unscathed.

That's about it, that I can think of now.

Soldiers from 18th Air Assault Battalion and 17th Mechanized Brigade are showing how to shoot.

Originally posted and translated by Jocker_89

For soldiers mission in Afghanistan is a test of character.
They must deal with serious tasks, with hard climate...with oneself.

But when we are looking at Polish soldiers from combat group A in Ghazni,
We may see that they go out from this encounters victorious.

Typical soldiers' morning - bathroom, breakfast and some soldiers are running few kilometers.
Commander of the group major Michał Hołub is on two-day patrol with the convoy.
In staff, at coffee, among monitors, phones and maps, his substitute captain Mariusz Krawiec shortly says what is in work schedule for today - Shooting, return of convoy, unloading transport, patrol in day and in night,
In the morning and in the evening briefing, guards. there is a lot of work to do – he adds with smile.

And really there is a lot of work to do. From the morning on target range soldiers from 18th Air Assault Battalion and 17th Mechanized Brigade are training shooting from different positions - lying, standing, kneeling .

In another part of the base soldiers are unloading transport trucks.

Evening is approaching Hummers and Rosomaks (wolverines) are leaving on a patrol.
Next day: I know, that all have returned from patrol because they told us how it was.*

Major Wojciech KALISZCZAK
692.jpg

693.jpg

695.jpg

69468b3c5lm1.jpg

696.jpg

697.jpg

698.jpg

699.jpg

This time two nice movies :smil:

Medieval helpdesk

Medieval helpdesk

In this one you may get familiar with the Polish military oath (subtitles)in English

....and one pic from A-stan

Originalyy posted by Tank a lot

95970177wj1.jpg

Polish armored vehicles patrol on the outskirts of Ghazni city, southern Afghanistan, Friday, July 27, 2007. The Taliban on Friday has once again extended the deadline for executing South Korean hostages, governor of Ghazni province in central Afghanistan said. (Zabi Tamanna/Xinhua/WpN)

My dad's side of the family was from eastern Poland, the area that had before WWI been part of Germany. My great grandparents (on my Grandmother's side) came to the US via Ellis Island in about 1910. My great grandparents on my grandfather's side of the family came over in the late 20s, but in 1938 they returned because my Great Grandfather missed working with the farm animals (the farm would not have a tractor until about 1970).

When the war broke out, there was no real fighting in that area, the Germans quickly overrunning the Polish Positions in their area. Shortly after the start of Operation Barbarossa later all jewish residents of the town were rounded up and taken away by Ukranian Sodiers fighting for the Germans. None of them were ever seen again. When the war broke out, my grandfather was 14.

In 1943 my great grandfather (who was quite the rebel) was trying to organze the farmers in the area to slow grain production to the germans. A short time later the Gestapo showed up at his house, put a gun to his head, and "interrogated" him. They said if grain hold ups continued they would be back. They left. My great grandfather snorted, spat where they had been standing, and the grain hold ups continued. However, the Gestapo never returned.

In 1944 as the Russians came through there was some intense fighting in the area. At one point a battle broke out as my great grandmother was milking the cow. When the shooting began, she dove under a hay cart. My great grandfather, saw her, ran out to the haycart, picked her up, and carried her back to the house. Neither of them were hurt. My great grandfather then went up into the attic of their house to smoke, and unknown to him a hole had been blown into the roof by an artillery shell. When he stood up in the attic he was mistaken for a sniper and shot in the head. He died almost immediately.

After the war ended, my grandfather (who had a relative still in Cleveland, where they had settled before the war) left Poland and moved to the US. He married my Grandmother sometime in the late '40s.

My Grandfather died of a massive Heart Attack in 1994. My Grandmother died last summer at the age of 92. No member of my family has been to Poland since 1974, when my dad went with my Grandparents..

Oh, and my great uncle (who remained in Poland after the war) was a member of the Polish Resistance. Apparently after blowing up a bridge he came back with a cape tied on him by a couple of friends. There were bullet holes in the cape, but he was unscathed.

That's about it, that I can think of now.

Dude, that is an interesting story. I enjoyed it. Thanks for the sharing. Sorry about your great-grandfather and your grandparents.

Regisvo, please explain why South Korea needs a rescue? They aren't under control by Communism government. We have a member that is from South Korea. He was in ROK Marine Corps.

Polish armored vehicles patrol on the outskirts of Ghazni city, southern Afghanistan, Friday, July 27, 2007. The Taliban on Friday has once again extended the deadline for executing South Korean hostages, governor of Ghazni province in central Afghanistan said. (Zabi Tamanna/Xinhua/WpN)

Regisvo, please explain why South Korea needs a rescue? They aren't under control by Communism government. We have a member that is from South Korea. He was in ROK Marine Corps.

South Koreans Kidnapped in Afghanistan

By FISNIK ABRASHI
The Associated Press
July 20, 2007

Taliban militants threatened Friday to kill a group of abducted South Korean Christians, including 15 women, within 24 hours unless the Asian nation withdraws its 200 troops from Afghanistan. South Korea said Saturday it plans to withdraw its forces by the end of this year as scheduled.

http://www.topix.net/content/ap/2007/07/south-koreans-kidnapped-in-afghanistan-2

Last edited:
Same here TOG :firedevi:

Oh btw thx for posting this very interesting period of your family’s history.

Ok here is another part of pics from A-stan - originally posted by Mishka Zubov.

A shooting exercise
2007-08-02 15:01:22

Almost 100 Polish and American soldiers have participated in a shooting exercise - lasting many hours - near the Bagram base.

Such first ever, big mutual exercise offered an opportunity for mutual familiarization with basic weapons of Polish and American armed forces.
Polish soldiers from the Command of Polish Military Contingent (PMC) organized a shooting competition.
Trophies: marksman badges in gold, silver and bronze colors.

MAJ Krzysztof Zieliński, a supervisor of the event said: "One can discuss the equipment and its advantages for hours.
But the targets show who is better" - he added with a smile, pointing to a white-red flag on his sleeve.

Due to unexpected visit of Afghan kids there was an opportunity to hand them soft toys.

COL Jan Rydz, a deputy commander of PMC, said: "Certainly, this was not the last practice of this type.
This is nice to know that - even though we are in a country that is in a war for safety and peace - the shooting like this does not harm anyone and its goal is the enhancement of friendship.

Text: MAJ Wojciech Kaliszczak
Photos: WO Krzysztof Karp
translated by MZ

882gy9.jpg

880ry5.jpg

879pw8.jpg

881ig2.jpg

878ow5.jpg

883jx1.jpg

Originally posted by Mishka Zubov (thx mate) !!!

Invitation of the White Eagle
2007-07-04 10:07:10
Text: Cpt. Janusz WDOWSKI
Photos: Archive of Battle Team "Charlie", Wazi-Khwa
source: http://www.isaf.wp.mil.pl/aktualnosc_78.html
[translation of selected text and making captures - MZ]

Invited by the local authorities and the dwellers of the village of Mushuri, Wazi-Khwa district, Paktika province, Afghanistan, Polish soldiers met with kids of Mashuri coeducational primary school, on July 2, 2007.
This was one of the series of meetings with children and youth of the district, organized by the paratroopers of the Battle Team "Charlie" of the Polish Battle Group, the CIMIC Support Group and the PSYOPS Group.
Our soldiers were especially pleased because this time the meeting was initiated by the locals.

[A cynical thought: Rumours went around that Poles give away nice goodies and show pretty slides. Yeay! No regular school today! - MZ]

"Such actions allow for mutual familiarization. Afghans learn about Poles and our culture, and they recognize some common historical elements - which creates bond of mutual understanding and cooperation. In addition, this is the better part of our job here when we have a chance to meet directly with people and children" - says Lt. Artur Pracki, a platoon commander.

"Even though I serve in Afghanistan only as a private first class I am convinced that I do something useful, something 'great'. I am glad that I am here and that I can help these people. We all realize the immensity of work and challenges in front of us, but we are ready to face it in order to help Afghanistan and its people" - stresses private first class, Juliusz Wiącek, CIMIC Support Group.

Mjr. Olgierd Cieśla, a commander of the Battle Team "Charlie" of Polish Battle Group, plans to continue with further CIMIC actions - not only promotions in schools of the district, but also with other projects.

548sv8.jpg

A teacher with two school children - Mashuri primary school, district Wazi-Khwa.

549yh3.jpg

Three cute Afghan girls from the Mashuri school.

550zp0.jpg

A multimedia presentation given to the kids of Mashuri primary school. Children were mostly interested in pictures of animals of Poland and views from the Baltic seaside - a very exotic and unusual experience for them.
Notice the capture 'Bóbr' over the projection of the beaver - that's the 'beaver' in Polish of course. I wonder who would need to know that - the presenter or the kids?

551wt1.jpg

Mohammad Khan, a director of Mashura primary school, receiving some gifts from the Polish soldiers.
In addition, all school teachers were given some pedagogical kits. Chidren received 250 kits - each containing a satchel, notebooks, crayons, penballs, flamasters, pencils, erasers and pencil sharpeners.

552pz8.jpg

Mashuri coeducational primary school, their teachers and Polish soldiers. Their basic problem is lack of a school building. Kids are taught under the blue sky and their teachers have to improvise a lot. The CIMIC Support Group from the Polish Battle Group intends to implement several school building projects in the Paktika province.

553ku7.jpg

Some Afghan kids from the coeducational primary school at the village Mashuri of the district Wazi-Khwa. The school has 10 teachers for about 250 girls and boys, 4-12 years old. District Wazi-Khwa has 23 schools, but only three of them are coeducational.

554zt2.jpg

A Polish-Afghan friendship symbolized by an Afghan kid in his drawing. I am not sure whether the birdie below the flags represents the Polish Eagle or the Peace Pidgeon.

555zp0.jpg

Polish White Eagle on the white field of the Polish flag - drawn by an Afghan kid. Priceless, I could not do any better.

Back