Police interceptors UK Ch5 Mon 8pm

Primera's are good, we had one as a
Q car, a few years ago.
I used to love chucking it round big roundabouts, much more fun than a Mondeo.
I think that was a 1.8 petrol.
Weird dash though, buttons everywhere, had a reversing camera and everything.
A 54 plate I think.

No reverse camera but what I find extremely weird is the speedometer's position. I'm used to looking through the steering wheel, not half way across the dashboard!

Modern diesels are anything but reliable!!!! :shock: Just have a read of the car forums. They are a minefield! High pressure engine systems, dual mass flywheels and diesel particulate filters cost a fortune to put right.

Problems arise when owners/drivers of diesels don't know how to operate a diesel engined vehicle. First mistake they make is coming to a stop and turning off the engine straight away. This is while the turbo is spinning in excess of 50,000 RPM, some turbo's spin at 250,000 rpm, turn off the engine and the turbo is not getting any oil. Another mistake many make is not idling the engine on start up so that oil gets to the turbo bearings, they start up and floor the pedal. Another mistake many diesel owners do is buy diesel from anywhere, they should buy from a petrol station where there is a high turnover of diesel and there is less risk of water contamination.

One of the main problems today is the fitting of those damn computers, this applies to not only diesels but petrol's. In parts of Namibia there is a list of vehicles that are banned in the more remote regions because of computer failure.

A few years ago in UK the AA carried out a survey saying that around 80% of breakdowns they attended was due to electrical failure, everyone a petrol.

Most diesels dump a cloud of soot whenever you drop a couple of gears and boot it.

As I said, that's probably because of an injector pump timing is out, one or more pistons in the pump are worn, or dirty injectors. None of my diesels were sooty or dumped a load of smoke.

I refuse to have a diesel. All 3 of my motors are petrols and I've had no issues.

How are your diesels at work performing? Most safari trucks here are diesels not only because of better reliability but more miles per tank of fuel and diesel is far safer to carry in cans then petrol.

My petrol 5.0L V8 supercharged Range Rover Sport gets about 16mpg on a run! :p Why would I want a diesel. ;)

I wouldn't entertain a car/truck/SUV that only did 16 MPG. BTW did you know your Sport is actually a Discovery fitted with a different body?

Last edited:
Problems arise when owners/drivers of diesels don't know how to operate a diesel engined vehicle. First mistake they make is coming to a stop and turning off the engine straight away. This is while the turbo is spinning in excess of 50,000 RPM, some turbo's spin at 250,000 rpm, turn off the engine and the turbo is not getting any oil. Another mistake many make is not idling the engine on start up so that oil gets to the turbo bearings, they start up and floor the pedal. Another mistake many diesel owners do is buy diesel from anywhere, they should buy from a petrol station where there is a high turnover of diesel and there is less risk of water contamination.

One of the main problems today is the fitting of those damn computers, this applies to not only diesels but petrol's. In parts of Namibia there is a list of vehicles that are banned in the more remote regions because of computer failure.

A few years ago in UK the AA carried out a survey saying that around 80% of breakdowns they attended was due to electrical failure, everyone a petrol.

All valid reasons for not buying a modern diesel. ;) Very complex systems that can't be repaired at home. Too many things to go wrong.

As I said, that's probably because of an injector pump timing is out, one or more pistons in the pump are worn, or dirty injectors. None of my diesels were sooty or dumped a load of smoke.

I believe a blocked EGR causes clouds of soot. The modern diesels have DPF's which stop soot being emitted.

How are your diesels at work performing? Most safari trucks here are diesels not only because of better reliability but more miles per tank of fuel and diesel is far safer to carry in cans then petrol.

They haven't been too bad. Only the odd electrical niggle here and there so far.

I wouldn't entertain a car/truck/SUV that only did 16 MPG. BTW did you know your Sport is actually a Discovery fitted with a different body?

Yep, my Sport has the Discovery 3 chassis.

It's not too bad. 8 speed auto box and goes like s**t off a shovel. 104L tank giving me a range of about 450 miles. What's not to like. :D

All valid reasons for not buying a modern diesel. ;) Very complex systems that can't be repaired at home. Too many things to go wrong.

The same applies to their modern petrol counterparts, far too complex for the average home mechanic. I've worked on all manner of both petrol's and diesels over the years, but when I look at these modern engines, I wonder what I'm looking at half the time. A fitter doesn't only need a tool box he needs a laptop and a PHD. Its bloody rediculous.

I believe a blocked EGR causes clouds of soot. The modern diesels have DPF's which stop soot being emitted.

None of my diesels were fitted with an EGR or a DPF. EGR's are also fitted to petrol engines which again can cause problems. All these fancy systems in an attempt to reduce emissions is all very well, until they start to go wrong.

They haven't been too bad. Only the odd electrical niggle here and there so far.

So the diesels are proving reliable?

Yep, my Sport has the Discovery 3 chassis.

It's not too bad. 8 speed auto box and goes like s**t off a shovel. 104L tank giving me a range of about 450 miles. What's not to like. :D

22 MPG for a V8 is pretty good going, but even 450 miles wouldn't be enough, either a second tank would be required or carry Jerry cans, I don't like messing around with petrol, diesel is far safer. I fitted my Land Rover with a second tank which gave me a total of 200 litres of diesel and a range of over 1,100 miles.

One problem we get here with high temperatures, petrol engines and fuel evaporation, I've had that happen to me a couple of times with petrol engines. In certain situations that can be dangerous, especially when a 6 ton elephant is bearing down on you determined to beat the crap out of you. But then again you don't have a problem with elephants or very high temperatures. Off road the low end torque of a diesel is definitely an asset.

The same applies to their modern petrol counterparts, far too complex for the average home mechanic. I've worked on all manner of both petrol's and diesels over the years, but when I look at these modern engines, I wonder what I'm looking at half the time. A fitter doesn't only need a tool box he needs a laptop and a PHD. Its bloody rediculous.

No such thing as a mechanic these days. They are all fitters with a computer telling them what parts to replace.

None of my diesels were fitted with an EGR or a DPF. EGR's are also fitted to petrol engines which again can cause problems. All these fancy systems in an attempt to reduce emissions is all very well, until they start to go wrong.

I know of people who bought diesels to "save" money, only to feck up their DPF because they don't do enough miles. :roll:

So the diesels are proving reliable?

So far, yes. But without sounding big headed, they are driven by better drivers.

22 MPG for a V8 is pretty good going, but even 450 miles wouldn't be enough, either a second tank would be required or carry Jerry cans, I don't like messing around with petrol, diesel is far safer. I fitted my Land Rover with a second tank which gave me a total of 200 litres of diesel and a range of over 1,100 miles.

One problem we get here with high temperatures, petrol engines and fuel evaporation, I've had that happen to me a couple of times with petrol engines. In certain situations that can be dangerous, especially when a 6 ton elephant is bearing down on you determined to beat the crap out of you. But then again you don't have a problem with elephants or very high temperatures. Off road the low end torque of a diesel is definitely an asset.

I'm never more than 450 miles away from a filling station. ;)

I don't really go off road much. If I did, I wouldn't have bought a Sport. :lol:

No such thing as a mechanic these days. They are all fitters with a computer telling them what parts to replace.

That's why they are crap for home mechanics.

I know of people who bought diesels to "save" money, only to feck up their DPF because they don't do enough miles. :roll:

Start stop town driving kills the DPF, although London taxi's seem to cope quite well. As I said all this fancy equipment is a pain in the neck. When I was a London bus driver, our Routemaster buses were on the road 20 hours a day with very little problems, the problems came with the rear engined crap we were given.

So far, yes. But without sounding big headed, they are driven by better drivers.

But do you allow your turbo to slow down before you switch off?

I'm never more than 450 miles away from a filling station. ;)

Not very adventurous are you?

I don't really go off road much. If I did, I wouldn't have bought a Sport. :lol:

Another Chelsea tractor. The Sport would be fairly good off road if you didn't have all the gubbins bolted to it.

Range Rovers have got a brilliant off road capability, far better then Merc's or BMW, yet I'd guess that less than one % of owners actually venture off road, maybe dragging a horse box across a meadow.

Back