Police 'brutality' or youthful arrogance?

Prapor

Probe into officer’s beating of street racer
spacer.gif

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]AFP/Vladivostok[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
Russia has opened a criminal probe of a top traffic police officer after an Internet video allegedly showed him beating a participant in an illegal street race, officials said yesterday.
The probe is the latest case in Russia of people using the Internet to embarrass top officials.
A criminal case has been opened against Alexander Lysenko for allegedly exceeding his authority in the incident overnight May 25-26 in Vladivostok, the press service of the investigative committee for the Primorsky region said.
Lysenko, Vladivostok’s top traffic officer, was driving home from work when he encountered a group of youths taking part in an illegal street race on the main highway out of the city.
Video footage viewed by thousands on YouTube shows him arguing with the young drivers, thumping one in the back and pulling him by the ear.
Reports said that Lysenko was on sick leave and police insisted he had not been sacked.
In an interview with local media, Lysenko confirmed an encounter with street racers but said “there was not the slightest question of violence”.
Internet penetration in Russia is growing at speed and users are frequently posting videos to show up alleged corruption or abuse of office by officials.
Last month a driver for Russian Emergencies Minister Sergei Shoigu was fired after a YouTube video showed him threatening to shoot a motorist who failed to get out of the way in heavy traffic.
But while exposure of officials usually delights Russian Internet users, many comments on the latest incident voice support for Lysenko and anger at the illegal street racers whose late-night antics cause chaos in the Pacific port city.
“Well done, officer!” wrote one user on YouTube. “These idiots just cause problems. I would have done the same.”
Vladivostok has embarked on a huge rebuilding and clean-up programme as it prepares to host the summit of the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) summit in 2012.
[/FONT]
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topi...=439405&version=1&template_id=39&parent_id=21

I am no idealist. I know police in Russia overstep their authority and victimize innocent people all too often.

But the street-racers are a problem too
PICT0348.jpg

We have these guys in Moscow, and lots of them in my part of the city.

Evere seen Fast & Furious? I don't need to, I see and hear that every damn night. Every time, we lie in our bed, and we listen to engines roaring outside, and I want to go out there and shoot every one of the young bastards. Not just because they are loud, at night, but because they may kill, not just one of their own, but some innocent person. We already have had accidents with them too. One nighbor of ours had his car hit by one of their super-charged 'bullets'... These people don't give a damn about their own safety or that of others around them. Fast and furious... more like young and stupid. Good for the officer in this case, as far as I'm concerned. Hope they clear him of all charges.

Kinda reminded me of a joke that I heard not too long ago, goes something like this-

One guy did not stop at a junction, before continuing his way. He was spotted by a cop and was stop. He was told by the cop that he needed to stop at the junction first before proceeding. The offending guy said that he did not stop, true, but he slowed down, and to him was good enough. This argument went back and forth, till the cop, who is a bit annoyed now, took out his baton and proceeded to beat the guy continuosly. After a while the cop asked the driver, "Now, do you want me to stop beating you, or slow down?"

When I was a lad if a policeman caught you stepping out of line you got a clip around the ear, if you complained to your parents odds on that you would get another one. It taught you right from wrong and respect for the police, when you got older you found that the copper that hit you was not a bad bloke but just one that was doing his job. I wonder if this still went on if we would have quite so much trouble with the yobs of today

Remember hearing some older Russian complain about rising crime levels in Russia, stating that "Back in the Soviet area crime was illegal, and police commanded respect, while now the criminals laugh at the police and pay them off."

Mother Russia doesn't seem to be a land well suited for compromise...

Back